Swains thoughts on 3 P's eligibility

Not questioning the kids toughness, he's a beast. But factually speaking, he left HS with a shoulder injury requiring surgery, he played 1 series vs UTC because many thought he had reinjured the shoulder, he didn't finish the Vandy game due to a concussion (took a helmet to the jaw iirc), and he didn't participate in any live contact this Spring due to a shoulder injury.

I'm certainly not questioning how tough Jalen is, that'd be ridiculous, kid's a warrior. But even the toughest of players can suffer frequent injuries or a recurrence of the same nagging injury, through no fault of their own...to this point, that seems to be the case with Jalen IMHO.

I expected more from you. Lol.

High school - "right" labrum (hasn't had a problem since, and has had no problems running through people).

College - "left" AC joint (mild strain, and played on it the whole season). Surgery just to clean out scar tissue in the off season.

Vandy - got popped in the jaw with a helmet. Was a little dazed, but doubtful it was that serious. Didn't even have a headache that evening, but you can't take chances with things like that.

RB's are always injured - to some degree. It comes with the territory.

For any of our QBs and RBs to survive last season is a miracle in itself.

Reactions: 7 people
He did not say it was an

Only in rare and extreme cases. Most of the time, if a victim declines to prosecute, it never makes it to the DA, it stops with the police report that says the victim declined to prosecute.

Except he was not suspended, he was dismissed. The investigation of Paulk's case was over after a week.

Rare and extreme cases? :lolabove:

Paulk has not been doing anything "on his own dime." He was dismissed from the team, but not from school, so the athletic scholarship he signed was still valid for the entire school year. He is still on scholarship and will be until the end of this semester.

If he wants to stay at that point, he will have to pay his own way. There is a scholarship available, we're at 84 if everyone qualifies, but I have heard nothing along the line of him being allowed to return.

As I said in another thread, this whole "he was cleared of charges" thing is BS. He was "cleared" because the victim did not press charges. That does not change the fact that he punched his then girlfriend in the face and had to be pulled off of her after striking her again and and again in front of a group of 20 people, most of whom are current student-athletes. They all gave statements to UT officials.

That's why Butch didn't wait for things to "play out" in this situation. He had no interest in whether Paulk was charged, he knew what happened from eyewitnesses.

The standard for playing football at Tennessee is higher than the legal system's standard, as it should be. It is a privilege, not a right.

Yes, playing football at Tennessee with a full ride scholarship is indeed a privilege and should be treated that way without question.

I would defer to coach Jones to make the decision concerning Paulk, he knows much more than a bunch of VN posters, that's for sure. I also hope Pig can somehow get his academics in order to help team #119 compete for a championship this year.
Hopefully Von Pearson is cleared of any charges and reinstated, we may indeed know the answer very soon.
The depth a RB is still a big concern and it should be with only 2 RB's with any experience running the ball in the SEC...this is critical.

Rare and extreme cases? :lolabove:

Yes. Sorry if that isn't the narrative you get from watching Law & Order and CSI, but that's reality.

The vast majority, 95% or more, of cases of domestic violence that the victim does not wish to prosecute or refuses to cooperate are dropped or never pursued by a DA, even when one of the parties is arrested.

Reactions: 2 people
There are lady vols involved. I would think Dreya Carter would want Paulk tossed.

There were 20 witnesses interviewed, all but two of them were student-athletes, male and female. Carter and another basketball helped the victim after the attack.

Yes. Sorry if that isn't the narrative you get from watching Law & Order and CSI, but that's reality.

The vast majority, 95% or more, of cases of domestic violence that the victim does not wish to prosecute or refuses to cooperate are dropped or never pursued by a DA, even when one of the parties is arrested.

Sad stat IMO. A lot of these go from smacking them around to really hurting, or killing somebody.

He did not say it was an "ongoing process," unless I have missed something.

In his press conference before spring practice, Jones was asked if there had been any contact with Paulk and he said no.

You can watch the exchange for yourself right here at the 9:55 mark: Jones Pre-Spring Press Conference At Noon - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Only in rare and extreme cases. Most of the time, if a victim declines to prosecute, it never makes it to the DA, it stops with the police report that says the victim declined to prosecute.

Except he was not suspended, he was dismissed. The investigation of Paulk's case was over after a week.

ummm he did say it was an ongoing process. literally verbatim what he said.

I expected more from you. Lol.

High school - "right" labrum (hasn't had a problem since, and has had no problems running through people).

College - "left" AC joint (mild strain, and played on it the whole season). Surgery just to clean out scar tissue in the off season.

Vandy - got popped in the jaw with a helmet. Was a little dazed, but doubtful it was that serious. Didn't even have a headache that evening, but you can't take chances with things like that.

RB's are always injured - to some degree. It comes with the territory.

For any of our QBs and RBs to survive last season is a miracle in itself.

You know I'm a huge Jalen fan, certainly not trying to disparage him in any way...tried to make that clear. Just cataloging his injuries to this point. Hopefully they're behind him.

You know I'm a huge Jalen fan, certainly not trying to disparage him in any way...tried to make that clear. Just cataloging his injuries to this point. Hopefully they're behind him.

He's fine.

In fact, he's a hell of a lot stronger than he was two years ago.

After his first shoulder injury (right before he went to UT) he honestly didn't look like a football player. He was very lean and looked more like a baseball player due to losing so much size from the injury.

He is now massive (insert twss jokes here) and is very intimidating in person.

Going to be very special watching him play this year.

It's mainly because it's a dang headache to get it past a preliminary hearing or a grand jury when the main or only witness won't cooperate because she just LOVES him SO much.

It's a lot easier to do if scumbags hit their girlfriends or wives in front of someone else.

Just because somebody isn't convicted or prosecuted of a crime doesn't mean they didn't do it. O.J. Simpson and Casey Anthony were acquitted of murder charges; would you feel comfortable hiring them to babysit your kids? Would you be violating their rights if you refused to hire them? Of course not.

Paulk apparently hit a woman repeatedly in front of a dozen witnesses and got lucky when the victim declined to press charges. However, as Deerpark12 pointed out, playing football at Tennessee is a privilege, not a right. Butch Jones is entitled to draw his own conclusions about what happened and, with the information available to him, he should have kicked Paulk permanently off the team. Unlike the situations involving Pearson or A.J. (who may or may not be legally and/or morally innocent), there doesn't appear to be any ambiguity about what Paulk did.

Yes, a football player committing violence against women is more serious than a fight between men or victimless "crimes" like underage drinking or marijuana use (wasn't that what got Da'Rick Rogers kicked off the team?). I'm all for leniency and second chances with respect to those less serious offenses, but it should be obvious at this point that college and pro football need to be more serious about combatting domestic violence.

A suspension amounting to a redshirt year isn't a sufficiently serious punishment. Even if Paulk is genuinely sorry and reformed, he and every other domestic abuser need to be expelled to serve as a deterrent for everybody else (both on and off the team) that domestic abuse isn't acceptable. He can get a "second chance" on some other team.

If Paulk is reinstated, it will be to carry a football, not baby sit anyone's children. We might as well give him another chance, if not another team will.

Reactions: 1 person

He'll be fine.

7_3553393.jpg

Pig didn't come here to play school. It sounds like he isn't as interested in his class work as some of our other players, which makes sense since he has NFL written all over him.
As a student I didn't have to take science classes past my soph year bc my major was in the college of business. Pig's major is in football, professors should allow him, and all athletes wanting to go pro, some leniency on his classes

The most ridiculous post of all time...Whether he has "NFL written all over him or not."

But, since you brought it up, I doubt he even gets drafted. He doesn't have the measurables for the league at that position.

Don't understand the thing about Paulk... We're thin at RB, he's a former scholarship guy, was cleared on all charges... Why not just take him back...?

Because Butch runs his program with integrity and standards unlike Fisher and Myer.

Probably not wise of me to disagree with a moderator, but there are women in this world who can probably slap every Volnation member around. While females are not typically as strong as males, some are and soon we will even see them in our military special forces. The root problem most are wanting to ignore is a bully slapping around a weaker individual, gender neutral. There was a time in this country when women were happy to be treated differently then men but times have changed whether you agree with our current culture or not. You can desire the good old days, but they are gone.

Walken, with all due respect, what kind of women have you been hanging out with? The one's I have been around like having doors held open for them and don't kickbox every day. The way I was raised and how my son is being raised is to treat women with respect. There is a segment of the younger generations culture that is not practicing equality but denigrating women. Women should be treated equally but and a male should defend himself when attacked but under very few circumstances should a man ever physically assault a female. This is the action of a southern gentleman.

Reactions: 4 people
Isn't it possible Pig is just genuinely struggling with school work? Not in a "he needs to get his act together because he is slacking" way, but more of a "this class was really hard and he had a hard time with it" way.

I know they get all the tutors and study time stuff, but if you've ever been a college student you understand some classes are just really hard. And some kids are just not natural students...I definitely fall into that category. Give the kid some slack. I highly doubt he is just intentionally saying "F$@* school."

Some people are so quick to burn these kids at the stake...they are KIDS. We (grown adults) worship this kids game played by 18-22 year old KIDS. And we freak out when they make dumb kid mistakes. Or in Pigs case, we freak out when he struggles with school work.

Reactions: 6 people
Isn't it possible Pig is just genuinely struggling with school work? Not in a "he needs to get his act together because he is slacking" way, but more of a "this class was really hard and he had a hard time with it" way.

I know they get all the tutors and study time stuff, but if you've ever been a college student you understand some classes are just really hard. And some kids are just not natural students...I definitely fall into that category. Give the kid some slack. I highly doubt he is just intentionally saying "F$@* school."

Some people are so quick to burn these kids at the stake...they are KIDS. We (grown adults) worship this kids game played by 18-22 year old KIDS. And we freak out when they make dumb kid mistakes. Or in Pigs case, we freak out when he struggles with school work.

Quit making sense. There isn't room for that here

Walken, with all due respect, what kind of women have you been hanging out with? The one's I have been around like having doors held open for them and don't kickbox every day. The way I was raised and how my son is being raised is to treat women with respect. There is a segment of the younger generations culture that is not practicing equality but denigrating women. Women should be treated equally but and a male should defend himself when attacked but under very few circumstances should a man ever physically assault a female. This is the action of a southern gentleman.

I hang out with the type of women you describe. I work in a world where the company demands everyone be treated equally regardless of gender or anything else so I try to remain gender blind during the work day. I read the media reports or women in our military and see the violent women in MMA. I can prefer the "southern" culture, but the world is moving on fast and it doesn't care what any football watching southern males think about it. Stick your head in the sand and ignore the change if you wish, but it doesn't make it go away.

If you haven't noticed, in today's America there is no time in which any gender should ever physically assault anyone of any other gender.

p.s. this observation of mine is in no way is an endorsement for these cultural trends nor does it support the logic behind them. :good!:

Last edited:

True, but most of those difficult classes were based on my major. By and large, the first 2 years of classes are general education classes and while I struggled with them, most of it was directly related to my motivation (i.e. I couldn't care less about philosophy or political science). At the same time, as students, we were well aware of how to pad our schedules with cupcakes and most everyone could tell you what classes those were.

You're showing your true colors here as you don't believe in equality between the sexes. You view women as always being weak and requiring protection. Guess what, there aren't many males on the UT campus who could hold their own with most of these football players if the player decided to slap them around. How is it any worse of an assault based on what's in their jeans?

You misspelled "genes."

VN Store

Back