Tennessee vs Indiana Mismatch

If you’re saying it’s a mismatch because they beat a lot of awful teams , then it should be a hell of a game. Because everyone we beat was average to awful and a couple that beat us was too

Indiana didn't even beat an average team ... Tennessee beat FOUR of them. Tennessee won their last 5 games, Indiana lost 2 of their last 3 games. Besides we've been here before. We crushed Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska the last four times we've been matched against a little 10 team. What makes you think this year will be any different?

I did my Ph.D. work at IU in cultural anthropology from 1996-2000. When were you up there, JP?

I was in West European Studies for a Master's in '89 and '90, Rex.

Guess that makes me a few years older, heh. And here I always thought we were about the same age. :)

Last edited:
Apparently you didn't read my entire post. Indiana played NO TEAMS with a winning or even a break-even record. Tennessee played FOUR TEAMS with a winning or break-even record. How do you see that as the same conclusion?

Um you do realize Indiana played Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State right?

Reactions: I40flyer
This is a very different team mentally than the team that lost to Georgia State

It better be. These guys need to keep a sharp edge. The outgoing guys deserve a win. I don't care if it is Indiana, somebody better or somebody worse. They need to go out there and take care of business.

I was in West European Studies (political science/international relations department the Army was big into sending FAOs to...don't know if it still exists as a department) in '89 and '90, Rex.

Guess that makes me a few years older, heh. And here I always thought we were about the same age. :)

No, I took 12 years off after my freshman year at UT (1974-75) because I couldn't see myself devoting a decade of study to the pursuit of a Ph.D. in a discipline with as few professional options as Anthropology. So, of course, I ultimately wound up doing precisely because that. I graduated with my B.S. from MTSU in 1990 at the age of 33 and acquired my M.A. in Anthropology at UT in 1996.

In those days, the Anthropology Dept. was still located in Neyland Stadium, so our insider joke was that, as grad students in Anthropology, we spent more time in Neyland than the football team, which literally was true. My graduate tenure at UT coincided with much of Peyton's career, so, as a connoisseur of Big Orange pigskinery, 'twas a good time to be there.

A little surprised by the rampant optimism. I like our team and our finish, but not sure I am yet prepared to pull a Babe Ruth and call my shot.

The only Baby Ruth I want to do is throw one in a public swimming pool.

Um you do realize Indiana played Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State right?

I do, they are ranked #2, #10 and #17 respectively in the final CFP rankings.

Now, do you realize that Tennessee played Georgia, Florida, Alabama who are ranked #5, #9 and #13 respectively?

Pretty much a wash wouldn't you agree?

Didnt you say Indiana played NO TEAMS with a winning record?

Nope. You might want to re-read my original post's second sentence that clearly states "Indiana has not beaten a single team this year with a winning or even a break-even record". Are we done now?

Indiana didn't even beat an average team ... Tennessee beat FOUR of them. Tennessee won their last 5 games, Indiana lost 2 of their last 3 games. Besides we've been here before. We crushed Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska the last four times we've been matched against a little 10 team. What makes you think this year will be any different?
Those other teams have nothing to do with this year, so hardly any of these players have been here before so that’s that.
So we may win a close one or win big but predictions of a blowout by a team that struggled to put up points most games is a stretch

Reactions: vol1981
How about you set the goal post then. We were talking about wins against bowl teams. Not sure what metric you want to use to define worth a damn.
You're wrong. The poster (several posts above) asked if UT beat anyone worth a damn and said nothing about those participating in bowl games.

Has anybody looked inside Indiana's 8-4 record. It's misleading to say the least. It's very similar to UAB's record in that they have won a lot of games against opponents that were AWFUL. Indiana has not beaten a single team this year with a winning or even a break-even record. Their wins have come against Eastern Illinois (1-11), Connecticut (2-10), Rutgers (2-10), Maryland (3-9), Northwestern (3-9), Purdue (4-8), Ball State (5-7) and Nebraska (5-7). I know Tennessee didn't beat any of the big boys this year but dang we did beat one 9-4 team, two 7-5 teams and two 6-6 teams along with Vandy and SCar who had losing seasons. The bottom line is Tennessee should beat these Hooisers like a red-headed stepchild and finish with a very respectable 8-5 record. Who would have thunk it after the GaState and BYU games ... not me ... GBO!!!

Wait...are you trying to throw UAB in there like a victory against them is the same thing as one against a Power 5 conference team?

Going to be without Jennings the first half, that’s a major blow for the offense. I think we win, but it’s going to be close.

Those other teams have nothing to do with this year, so hardly any of these players have been here before so that’s that.
So we may win a close one or win big but predictions of a blowout by a team that struggled to put up points most games is a stretch

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Mine differs, I say Tennessee wins by 3 TD's or more.

VN Store

Back