Tennessee vs Indiana Mismatch

Tennessee played pretty good against a decent #13 Alabama team this year. It was looking really good until JG flung the ball over the pile.

Wait...are you trying to throw UAB in there like a victory against them is the same thing as one against a Power 5 conference team?

Nope. I simply pointed out that Tennessee beat a team with a winning record. BTW, Indiana ALSO had two wins against non-Power 5 teams who didn't have winning records so there's that.

I'll be shocked if the game is close. OP is right, IU is good by IU standards, but they aren't really that good.

I like Tennessee's chances but I can't agree with your statement above. Certainly you're aware that IU played Ohio State this year, right?

I'm painfully aware. 51-10 losses at home tend to be problematic..

I believe this will be a close game. Indiana will be jacked to be there.
So glad we're not playing Louisville that would have seriously stunk .
Also thought a matchup with Iowa St would have been cool .

I don't see Indiana scoring more than 10 points on us unless our offense is just stagnate and turns the ball over, Indiana isnt on the same level as other big 10 schools that Butch Jones coached teams smashed.

Has anybody looked inside Indiana's 8-4 record. It's misleading to say the least. It's very similar to UAB's record in that they have won a lot of games against opponents that were AWFUL. Indiana has not beaten a single team this year with a winning or even a break-even record. Their wins have come against Eastern Illinois (1-11), Connecticut (2-10), Rutgers (2-10), Maryland (3-9), Northwestern (3-9), Purdue (4-8), Ball State (5-7) and Nebraska (5-7). I know Tennessee didn't beat any of the big boys this year but dang we did beat one 9-4 team, two 7-5 teams and two 6-6 teams along with Vandy and SCar who had losing seasons. The bottom line is Tennessee should beat these Hooisers like a red-headed stepchild and finish with a very respectable 8-5 record. Who would have thunk it after the GaState and BYU games ... not me ... GBO!!!
You're fooling yourself if you think this is a blowout. We're Tennessee. We don't blow people out. At least not with our current quarterback.

You're wrong. The poster (several posts above) asked if UT beat anyone worth a damn and said nothing about those participating in bowl games.
You're wrong. Original post was talking about how Indiana didn't beat any teams with .500 or better record. Poster responded saying we didn't beat anyone worth a damn, not establishing what "worth a damn" meant. It was laid out we beat 4 teams that had a .500 or better record.

We can get past the start of the season and realized we turned it into a 7-5 season. Most people expected us to be 7-5 before the year started. Of the people who expected us to be 7-5, I would imagine most counted the first two games as wins which means we won some games people weren't expecting us to.

Has anybody looked inside Indiana's 8-4 record. It's misleading to say the least. It's very similar to UAB's record in that they have won a lot of games against opponents that were AWFUL. Indiana has not beaten a single team this year with a winning or even a break-even record. Their wins have come against Eastern Illinois (1-11), Connecticut (2-10), Rutgers (2-10), Maryland (3-9), Northwestern (3-9), Purdue (4-8), Ball State (5-7) and Nebraska (5-7). I know Tennessee didn't beat any of the big boys this year but dang we did beat one 9-4 team, two 7-5 teams and two 6-6 teams along with Vandy and SCar who had losing seasons. The bottom line is Tennessee should beat these Hooisers like a red-headed stepchild and finish with a very respectable 8-5 record. Who would have thunk it after the GaState and BYU games ... not me ... GBO!!!
I hear what your saying but let us be truthful, UT lost to two teams that no way in heck Indiana would have lost to. This should be a good test to see where we are but also a game that we should be able to win and finish on a positive note. Can help with recruiting, kids will be impressed with how we finished the Sean and hopefully jump onboard.

Hoping UT can get healthy as they were pretty eat up at the end of the year. Also need to work our things on offense. It’s sad to have a great WR Corp, a talented TE and just not get much out of them.

Indiana celebrates when they get a 3 star commit like we celebrate when we get a 5 star commitment. There average recruiting ranking for the past few years has been about 40.

The only advantage Indiana has is in consistent decent quarterback play. If we get decent quarterback play we will win, maybe by 10 points or more. If we get poor QB play, 50% passing with a couple interception, then Indiana has a good chance to win.

It will either be a close game or we win by 10+ points. I do not see Indiana winning by 10+ points.

Penn State barely beat them by 4 points I believe.

We won't have JJ the entire 1st half and that could slow us down or even hurt us quite a bit.

I expect JJ to come out in the 2nd half and be ready to make some serious plays but I also expect IU to be all over him.

I expect our Vols to bring home the WIN but I don't expect us to blow them out even though I sure would enjoy seeing that.

Just get the WIN boys!!!

VFL...GBP!!!

This team lost to GSU and BYU. We won't have Jennings for a half and Kennedy might be out. I'm not buying a "mismatch". We'd better come ready to play our best for 4 quarters.

Hard to think of anyone as chalk after the way we started the season. Plus, we may have some key guys decide not to risk injury for a Taxslayer trophy. OTOH, everyone will expect us to beat the ever-living-crap out of IU. Seems like there's some risk/reward on this one, especially for a program that is hoping to make noise on NSD.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but we're not gonna pull off 8-4.
I think there is a good shot at us going 8-4. I think we will be Indiana and the GA St. loss has been deemed totally unacceptable by some very influential and persistent posters on here so it may be vacated. All depends on the NCAA ruling in my mind.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I'm painfully aware. 51-10 losses at home tend to be problematic..

If you're aware then why did you say that "they haven't faced anything near the level of SEC speed and physicality all season"? Surely OSU qualifies as having SEC speed and physicality.

So from what I know about them so far, they have a fairly good QB with a high completion % and low number of touchdowns, he also has some mobility. They will pass early and often. Their running game is not terrible, but not great. They are a very young team like us with a crazy amount of freshmen, sophomores. Their defense is average at best. Their opponents averaged 24.5 points a game, but when you look at conference play only they gave up about 33 points a game on average. Even worse, against opponents with a .500 or better record they allowed 41 points a game. They also lost all of those games.

Not excited about this match up but, I guess we are lucky to even be in a bowl game.

Mismatch huh, I think everyone on here, incluing myself, thought that about Ga St. Let’s just be happy we r in a bowl game. Then hope the team takes care of business and ends on a positive note and with an 8-5 tecord and be happy with that.
The one thing that I guarantee is the team has not forgotten the GAst game either. This is not the same team that came out expecting to win just by showing up. I have a feeling they won’t let the foot off the gas for all four quarters whether we are ahead or not.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Hard to think of anyone as chalk after the way we started the season. Plus, we may have some key guys decide not to risk injury for a Taxslayer trophy. OTOH, everyone will expect us to beat the ever-living-crap out of IU. Seems like there's some risk/reward on this one, especially for a program that is hoping to make noise on NSD.
What about after the way we ended the season, 6-1 and whatnot?

VN Store

Back