The good and bad from coach Mathews this morning

This sounds like former Coach Matthews says Saulsberry and Obrien aren't athletic enough to contribute significantly, scoff, but they will be needed. Saulsberry was producing last year before his injury.
Has anyone heard the extent of the Saulsberry injury?

I have not but am shocked to hear Saulsberry will not be starting. I thought for sure he would have been our best DT this year. So much for thoughts.:unsure:

Yep, and that's incredibly unreasonable. Get "Butch Carter's" arse on the hotseat right now.

I haven't heard anyone calling for that. He wasn't anyone's first choice but once we got him we have to give him time to rebuild at the pace you'd reasonably expect it to take a Big East coach to take an SEC team out of the cellar. I'm not down on Jones but I am frustrated by the fact that we're probably staring down the barrel of yet another losing season and there's not much anyone can do about it.

Most here have no clue about making the step from HS to college and the adjustment. In fact, I've learned more posters here played in their HS band than their HS football team. Let's let these kids develop some.

Reactions: 7 people
Most here have no clue about making the step from HS to college and the adjustment. In fact, I've learned more posters here played in their HS band than their HS football team. Let's let these kids develop some.

That's very true.I played at a small college and the jump from high school is still pretty significant. I could only imagine the jump from hs.ball too the Sec.Givem a little time too develope.

I haven't heard anyone calling for that. He wasn't anyone's first choice but once we got him we have to give him time to rebuild at the pace you'd reasonably expect it to take a Big East coach to take an SEC team out of the cellar. I'm not down on Jones but I am frustrated by the fact that we're probably staring down the barrel of yet another losing season and there's not much anyone can do about it.

Well, you're right about that, nothing we can do but watch. We're all frustrated and I'll throw in embarrassed by how bad our once great program is. But it's headed in the right direction.... to what degree no one knows. As far as not hearing anyone call for Butch's job... wait til we struggle with USU and lose to Florida again. It's coming.

I'll save you the trouble and paraphrase: We're going to be a lot better but you won't see it in the record. Rome wasn't built in a day. Butch Jones needs a couple more recruiting classes like 2014 and we'll be able to compete in the SEC.

We have HIGH SCHOOL All American - now college Freshmen throughout the 2 Deep. Playing said Freshmen isn't ideal in a conference playing against many 4th & 5th year Sr's. Maturity, strength, and program familiarity are big roadblocks for us this year.
REBUILDING YEAR AGAIN - with hopefully some surprise wins! :)

Last edited:
I am not surprised about the berry brothers. Many on here grossly overrated them because of their last name.

Here is a heart-warming short story I wrote instead of trying to make a common sense response to your post:

One dark and stormy night, volfanhill decided to troll VolNation. First, however he needed material.

"Ooh the Evan Berry thread! This could be great!"

*clicks thread*

DooleySux!!1: "The Berry brothers could grow into the next Eric Berry, imo tifwiw jmo GBO v,b!"

"Wow, these fans are delusional. I'm gonna go ahead and make a bold, sweeping proclamation about the Berry brothers time at Tennessee and VN's expectations of them based off of a few posts and fall camp. Yeah sounds good. People will like this post for sure!!"

Meanwhile, sensible VNer's everywhere slam their face on their keyboard and pray for the season to start.

The End.

Reactions: 5 people
Nope dead serious. Many on this board assumed they would have the same impact as Freshman that Eric did. It's not a reasonable assumption . I think they will do great for us over the next four years but I don't expect them to be instant game changers like Eric was.
There's not many players out there that were like EB was for us. We don't assume that they'll be just as great or better

Reactions: 2 people
for 7 years we been hearing how we are rebuilding. Problem is, this is really only the 2nd real yr of the rebuild. Luckily lots of teams in our league have had alot of turnover. We will take some lumps but have some good moments too. If last yrs team could be right in the game with several opponents then so will this team.

Our best unit and is championship calibre is the wr position. We all knew this. On the bright side, Hendrix and Burnett are better than advertised. The thinking was that they were brought in to grow into tackles and move inside. They are so athletic that they will remain as ends. This was super news. However, it changed our recruiting priorities.
Jakobson might be redshirted. I can see this personally as he is raw and not ready. Creamer might be redshirted. Need to find a position for him.
Now, the concern is that he is not very optimistic about the cornerback position and alluded to the fact that it and qb was the two most important position this recruiting cycle. On a personal note, I am a little disappointed that Evan Berry isn't making much noise.
Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!

Prior to his first injury, Saulsberry was plenty "athletic" enough to play DT.

"Dools" also signed Maggitt, AJ, J Williams, and Randolph.

By no means did he leave enough talent but that's doesn't justify taking shots at the guys that just happened to be left over from his tenure as you do so often.

Dooley is no longer a Vol. These kids are. How about cutting them some slack?

Reactions: 13 people

He didn't have much to work with. Him being a Big East coach has nothin to do with it. Him having Mid Major talent here is the only problem.

Well, you're right about that, nothing we can do but watch. We're all frustrated and I'll throw in embarrassed by how bad our once great program is. But it's headed in the right direction.... to what degree no one knows. As far as not hearing anyone call for Butch's job... wait til we struggle with USU and lose to Florida again. It's coming.
i hate to think that I get embarrassed over supporting a college football team but i guess there is that. There's no answer when a fan of another team has a chuckle at our expense other than to just admit we suck and wonder how they take pleasure in kicking us while we're down.

He didn't have much to work with. Him being a Big East coach has nothin to do with it. Him having Mid Major talent here is the only problem.

Sorry... but we don't know that yet. There are coaches UT could have hired that would have won more games and been more competitive with last year's roster than Jones was. I am willing to accept that he has a plan.. a "brick by brick" approach that may make some near term sacrifices to build a foundation for future success... but am NOT willing to accept the false notion that the "only" possible problem is a lack of talent. It is STILL a very real possibility that he and his staff just aren't up to the competition they face at this level. Jones' record at Cincy was pumped up by playing some pretty weak teams. I believe his win % against teams with a winning record was 40%. He was 0-3 iirc vs ranked teams... obviously not playing many.

I like many of the things he has done. I definitely support him and hope for the best but am in a wait and see mode until he actually produces wins.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry... but we don't know that yet. There are coaches UT could have hired that would have won more games and been more competitive with last year's roster than Jones was. I am willing to accept that he has a plan.. a "brick by brick" approach that may make some near term sacrifices to build a foundation for future success... but am NOT willing to accept the false notion that the "only" possible problem is a lack of talent. It is STILL a very real possibility that he and his staff just aren't up to the competition they face at this level. Jones' record at Cincy was pumped up by playing some pretty weak teams. I believe his win % against teams with a winning record was 40%. He was 0-3 iirc vs ranked teams... obviously not playing many.

I like many of the things he has done. I definitely support him and hope for the best but am in a wait and see mode until he actually produces wins.

Really? Name somebody...

Reactions: 6 people
We have HIGH SCHOOL All American - now college Freshmen throughout the 2 Deep. Playing said Freshmen isn't ideal in a conference playing against many 4th & 5th year Sr's. Maturity, strength, and program familiarity are big roadblocks for us this year.
REBUILDING YEAR AGAIN - with hopefully some surprise wins! :)

Nice to see a fan grounded in reality. :yes: :thumbsup:

No one is going to be ecstatic about 6 - 6. But everything should be better, and we will literally throttle our bowl opponent at that record (and a month of practice for our new team). We should achieve this, and that's a helluva lot better than bamboo farming and looking for dead Nazi generals.

If we have a losing record this year, it raises serious questions about the coaching staff, and I'd be looking for Butch to review the situation.

I'm confused. As worried about cb as he is qb? Why? I'm not worried about that position at all.

From all reports Jancek and Martinez seem to be confident with our secondary, but that doesn't mean they' re pleased with it. Good coaches are never pleased though.

Reactions: 1 person
If obrien isn't starting he's pretty much been a waste. I remember when he committed and we thought we were set. How wrong we were.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back