The good and bad from coach Mathews this morning

'Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!"

In fairness, I believe that both were recruited to be on the nose in a 3=4 defense, as was Carson who left. That is an entirely different skill set than is required of a DTackle in a 4-3 based defense. Kind of like Peyton Manning running the wishbone.

I never understood O'Brein being recruited for a 3-4 system. I'm 6'4 295 and have seen him around campus and he isn't that big probably 280-290 that's a little small for a nose tackle imo

Sorry... but we don't know that yet. There are coaches UT could have hired that would have won more games and been more competitive with last year's roster than Jones was. I am willing to accept that he has a plan.. a "brick by brick" approach that may make some near term sacrifices to build a foundation for future success... but am NOT willing to accept the false notion that the "only" possible problem is a lack of talent. It is STILL a very real possibility that he and his staff just aren't up to the competition they face at this level. Jones' record at Cincy was pumped up by playing some pretty weak teams. I believe his win % against teams with a winning record was 40%. He was 0-3 iirc vs ranked teams... obviously not playing many.

I like many of the things he has done. I definitely support him and hope for the best but am in a wait and see mode until he actually produces wins.

There was not much talent on last years team. He sacrificed last years record to get the results this year and going forward. For you to keep implying that we had SEC level talent, AND other coaches could've done more is asinine.

Reactions: 8 people
Our best unit and is championship calibre is the wr position. We all knew this. On the bright side, Hendrix and Burnett are better than advertised. The thinking was that they were brought in to grow into tackles and move inside. They are so athletic that they will remain as ends. This was super news. However, it changed our recruiting priorities.
Jakobson might be redshirted. I can see this personally as he is raw and not ready. Creamer might be redshirted. Need to find a position for him.
Now, the concern is that he is not very optimistic about the cornerback position and alluded to the fact that it and qb was the two most important position this recruiting cycle. On a personal note, I am a little disappointed that Evan Berry isn't making much noise.
Before closing, saulsberry and obrien are third team tackles. Sawyers and Mixson are backups to the Williams brothers. Saulsberry and obrien just are not athletic. Good ol' dools!

Barnett.
Mixon.
Wtf is Jakobson?

Sorry... but we don't know that yet. There are coaches UT could have hired that would have won more games and been more competitive with last year's roster than Jones was. I am willing to accept that he has a plan.. a "brick by brick" approach that may make some near term sacrifices to build a foundation for future success... but am NOT willing to accept the false notion that the "only" possible problem is a lack of talent. It is STILL a very real possibility that he and his staff just aren't up to the competition they face at this level. Jones' record at Cincy was pumped up by playing some pretty weak teams. I believe his win % against teams with a winning record was 40%. He was 0-3 iirc vs ranked teams... obviously not playing many.

I like many of the things he has done. I definitely support him and hope for the best but am in a wait and see mode until he actually produces wins.

giphy.gif

:banghead2:this is how your first paragraph makes me feel.

I 'm ready for some football. right now, questioning whether butch jones is the guy. it's just way to early. we have a young team and seeing this team grow during the year will exciting to watch and sometimes it will be hard to watch. imo, this team is headed in the right direction.

please, we all need to enjoy the process.

Reactions: 1 person
No one is going to be ecstatic about 6 - 6. But everything should be better, and we will literally throttle our bowl opponent at that record (and a month of practice for our new team). We should achieve this, and that's a helluva lot better than bamboo farming and looking for dead Nazi generals.

If we have a losing record this year, it raises serious questions about the coaching staff, and I'd be looking for Butch to review the situation.
I disagree. I think the record will be 5 wins at best, but won't put that on the coaches. You cannot compete in this conference with the inexperience the Vols will have on the offensive and defensive lines this year.

by your own words , we don't know that either, its pure speculation on your part and a complete load of crap. How about if you're going to correct others you keep yourself in check in the process and not fabricate lies to support what ever point you are trying to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I disagree. I think the record will be 5 wins at best, but won't put that on the coaches. You cannot compete in this conference with the inexperience the Vols will have on the offensive and defensive lines this year.

5 wins at best? So the absolute best case scenario has us beating Utah State, Arkansas State, Vandy, Kentucky, and Chattanooga, while having no chance at all of beating Georgia, Missouri, Florida, S. Carolina, or Ole Miss?

You must be a glass-half-broken kinda guy...

Prior to his first injury, Saulsberry was plenty "athletic" enough to play DT.

"Dools" also signed Maggitt, AJ, J Williams, and Randolph.

By no means did he leave enough talent but that's doesn't justify taking shots at the guys that just happened to be left over from his tenure as you do so often.

Dooley is no longer a Vol. These kids are. How about cutting them some slack?

Why don't you take it up with coach Mathews? Huh? How about that? You know so much about it..

by your own words , we don't know that either, its pure speculation on your part and a complete load of crap. How about if you're going to correct others you keep yourself in check in the process and not fabricate lies to support what ever point you are trying to make.

As I recall, nobody wanted the job!

If by nobody you mean Gruden, Strong and Gundy I guess you're right. We're those the only 3 candidates available in the country?

Lol...gruden kicks the tires on lots of jobs. I never want to see his name linked again got fools only believe he would take this job. The other two used us to get a raise. They never were interested. Get a grip.....

5 wins at best? So the absolute best case scenario has us beating Utah State, Arkansas State, Vandy, Kentucky, and Chattanooga, while having no chance at all of beating Georgia, Missouri, Florida, S. Carolina, or Ole Miss?

You must be a glass-half-broken kinda guy...
That's the way I see it. Ole Miss and Missouri will be tough games to win this year. Hopefully I will be wrong, we go to a bowl, and do win those close games. I'm not saying it can't happen. Just being honest in my assessment preseason. I guess my thinking is that we were too far away and this year's schedule too difficult to anticipate better. I'm more optimistic next year forward.

As I recall, nobody wanted the job!

Not for what we were willing to pay. More money would have made the job more attractive. But that's the past. I'm still in wait and see mode with Butch. Great recruiter, but can he put the pieces together on the field during a game? We shall see.

This year, barring complete disaster, is pretty much a pass for CBJ. If next season isn't a major improvement, then I'll have serious questions as to whether or not he can do the job. He should absolutely be able to make some noise next season.

VN Store

Back