The good and bad from coach Mathews this morning

Lol...gruden kicks the tires on lots of jobs. I never want to see his name linked again got fools only believe he would take this job. The other two used us to get a raise. They never were interested. Get a grip.....

Nice job not remotely understanding the point. It's not surprising that you didn't.

Reactions: 1 person
Why don't you take it up with coach Mathews? Huh? How about that? You know so much about it..

Sure thing. You got his cell #? I'll give him a quick call and clear all this up. Just need those digits.

The Berry Bros have 4+ years to contribute.... Sheesh!

Talk about an impatient fanbase...

Some ppl act like we're a top 10 team

Sorry... but we don't know that yet. There are coaches UT could have hired that would have won more games and been more competitive with last year's roster than Jones was. I am willing to accept that he has a plan.. a "brick by brick" approach that may make some near term sacrifices to build a foundation for future success... but am NOT willing to accept the false notion that the "only" possible problem is a lack of talent. It is STILL a very real possibility that he and his staff just aren't up to the competition they face at this level. Jones' record at Cincy was pumped up by playing some pretty weak teams. I believe his win % against teams with a winning record was 40%. He was 0-3 iirc vs ranked teams... obviously not playing many.

I like many of the things he has done. I definitely support him and hope for the best but am in a wait and see mode until he actually produces wins.

You don't know that any coach could have done better. You and other people on this sight seem to forget that we were down to our 4th string qb last year, who also happened to be a true freshmen. I doubt there is one coach in the entire country that could have done any or much better with the lack of talent and depth we had last year. The fact that anyone is questioning Jones' coaching ability after just one season with us should have his head examined. I also doubt any other coach in America could have done the job he has in recruiting.

Reactions: 4 people
Nope dead serious. Many on this board assumed they would have the same impact as Freshman that Eric did. It's not a reasonable assumption . I think they will do great for us over the next four years but I don't expect them to be instant game changers like Eric was.

That is totally unfair to them to be compared to Eric. Let these boys create their own identities. Players like Eric Berry do not come around very often.

Reactions: 3 people
I am not surprised about the berry brothers. Many on here grossly overrated them because of their last name.

They are true freshman, and they can run. They may not be their older brother, but both are a huge upgrade from what UT has been recruiting on defense.

I wonder how much getting on volnation and bashing a kid who has never played a single down in college football says about your character as a person outside of this website. Damn.

Reactions: 5 people
I disagree. I think the record will be 5 wins at best, but won't put that on the coaches. You cannot compete in this conference with the inexperience the Vols will have on the offensive and defensive lines this year.

I have a hypothetical question for you: Would you rather have last year's experience but overall lack of talent, particularly in terms of team speed, or the youth and inexperience of this year's team, which, by all accounts, is accompanied by a marked improvement in overall talent? Personally, I will take the latter.

There will most definitely be growing pains associated with replacing every starter on the offensive and defensive lines. On the other hand, there were a number of games last year that, in terms of overall talent, we were bringing a knife to a gun fight. Despite its youth, the '14 recruiting class is the first major indicator that we are clearly moving toward a more even playing field in preparation for the SEC heavyweights.

Reactions: 2 people
i hate to think that I get embarrassed over supporting a college football team but i guess there is that. There's no answer when a fan of another team has a chuckle at our expense other than to just admit we suck and wonder how they take pleasure in kicking us while we're down.

Being embarrassed to be a Vol fan is one thing, being too stupid to find the exit door is a sure sign you must be a Bama troll.

Even after eight years, if you left now, nobody would miss you or care at all. Sad really.

vfl

Reactions: 2 people
Being embarrassed to be a Vol fan is one thing, being too stupid to find the exit door is a sure sign you must be a Bama troll.

Even after eight years, if you left now, nobody would miss you or care at all. Sad really.

vfl
You're right but my master plan doesn't call for my big reveal as a Bama troll until 2034. Until then you'll just have to agonize over your suspicions.

You don't know that any coach could have done better. You and other people on this sight seem to forget that we were down to our 4th string qb last year, who also happened to be a true freshmen. I doubt there is one coach in the entire country that could have done any or much better with the lack of talent and depth we had last year. The fact that anyone is questioning Jones' coaching ability after just one season with us should have his head examined. I also doubt any other coach in America could have done the job he has in recruiting.

The rub is you don't know either. Let's discuss what we do know. There were more qualified candidates available, but UT decided to stick true to form and hire on a budget. Do you dispute that there are coaches out there with more qualifications? That is a known quantity. Is your claim these coaches had no interest in the UT job? Since we wouldn't budge on salary, we'll never know if it was no interest or no interest for the offered pay. This isn't too bash CBJ, but if you honestly believe he was the most qualified candidate, you're delusional. That's not saying he can't do a good job, but there were other coaches out there who had done more.

I question every coach until they prove they can win at UT. Hell, if our coach were Gruden, I'd still be about seeing him win with our team. I honestly don't care what a coach did elsewhere after he's hired. Once he's employed as a coach for the Vols, all I care about is whether we win or not. If the Vols aren't winning, then I'm not happy.

CBJ has done great at recruiting. Needs to show results of that on the field. I want to win. Pure and simple, I want to win.

vfl

You can leave anytime, as well. I won't miss comments like yours that add no value to the conversation. I've been embarassed more than once by a Vol loss. Wyoming? Any time we lose to Vandy? It's called being a fan.

The whole exchange is ridiculous. It used to be we argued about coaching changes and now we're reduced to arguing over the appropriate levels of optimism and enthusiasm.

vfl

Lighten up fart. You completely missed the context of his post. And if you haven't at times been embarrassed of our historically great program being laid to ruins the last 6-7 years because of some of the awful decisions that gave been made by the within the athletic department, then maybe it's you who are the troll.

There was not much talent on last years team. He sacrificed last years record to get the results this year and going forward. For you to keep implying that we had SEC level talent, AND other coaches could've done more is asinine.

We shoulda beat candy….that's my only complaint from last year……

New year, New optimism, new attitude…I expect 7-5--8-5 with bowl win….GO VOLS! :salute:

I never understood O'Brein being recruited for a 3-4 system. I'm 6'4 295 and have seen him around campus and he isn't that big probably 280-290 that's a little small for a nose tackle imo

Hmmm, glad my seats are not either behind or beside yours...lol:hi:

VN Store

Back