There's no reason we shouldn't be able to upset Alabama

We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.
I think there was a typo in your headline. “n’t”

We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.
I love your optimism but you must have missed the last 6 quarters of Tennessee football. You do realize over the last 6 quarters of football the other teams defense has outscored our offense? And to beat all we have something like 6 turnovers in that time span. This is most definitely not the formula to winning much less upsetting a National Contender.

Only way Alabama fans will be upset is if the beer they purchase at concessions is warm. Or maybe not.

I like your perspective but the Library of Congress wouldn't hold all of the reasons we have to expect more of the same. Wishing I was wrong.

I can think of #2 reasons we can’t beat them.

I remember the days I used to think like this ...

DeVonta Smith
Jalen Waddle
Najee Harris

Just a few of the reasons why the game won’t be close.[/QUOTE
The slant will be there all day long for waddle and they will just throw it over our head to Smith. We haven’t show one ounce of improvement in stopping either of those.

I've had a feeling this was a game we would win all off-season. I thought we would lose to Georgia and Florida (didn't see the Kentucky game coming) but beat Alabama.

I don't know how but we're winning the game tomorrow and shocking the world of college football.

And here's the alter ego.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Even if the earth should shift and we somehow pull off an upset, that still doesn't mean that we are a good team. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Beating Bama would be sweet, but no victory is going to erase losing to Kentucky like we did or the general feeling that Tennessee is a long ways off from ever being relevant again. I know, I know...I'm a negavol. I do want to win, but I just don't see it happening. If Kentucky can beat Alabama in November, I will come back and eat a good portion of crow, but until then it's gonna take more than beating the Bummers to fix what ails me as a Vol fan.
I feel ya girl, I feel ya.

Reactions: LadyinOrange
A lot of people believe a change in QB, which may mean more than 1 getting snaps is a good thing.

I think its time to move on as well. I'm not sure who that is today and if I knew who, that may not even be the same guy in 3 weeks.

A word of caution.
There's not a QB on this roster that has proven he is ready to win a game like this. Thats just a fact.
Expecting that or even good play considering that fact is setting yourself up for disappointment.

UT can get headed back in the right direction today if they can accomplish 2 things.
1. Find a QB (or even 2) that you can work with and improve going forward. The 3 behind JG need practice and game reps and a lot of em. It would be great if one or a combination of them come in and score 30 today, but the reality is thats probably not gonna happen. And if it doesn't that shouldnt be chalked up as proof of anything more than they need more time.
2. Whoever that is, they have to instill confidence into the rest of the team going forward that from Arkansas on we can win every game on the schedule. This team needs a confidence lift from that position.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
If we have a QB on our roster that is good enough that he can step in and beat Alabama on his first start, then that wouldn't really make me feel that much better about Pruitt's decision making abilities.

I agree with the OP! The Alabama defense is terrible. If we have a QB not named JG we have a chance. You all sure have some short memories. 6 quarters ago we had the longest win streak in college football and we were winning at Georgia 21-17. 7 turnovers resulting in 3 touchdowns changed our mindset as a fanbase. Take JG out of the equation and we actually do have a chance at the upset. The biggest reason is that this is set up to be the ultimate trap game with Alabama coming off a big win against Georgia. The one thing that could have made this set up for a more likely upset would have been a noon game. One more thing, Ole Miss came very close to pulling off the upset but fell short because they may be the only defense actually worse than Alabama's.
Ttruth. Ole Miss took Alabubba to the wire with a bad defense. Football is a game of matchups.

Reactions: Lane Train 4
If we have a QB on our roster that is good enough that he can step in and beat Alabama on his first start, then that wouldn't really make me feel that much better about Pruitt's decision making abilities.
True.
But we have seen all 3 options in limited opportunities since the middle of last year. I dont know about you, but I havent seen anything from that limited time that says its been here all along if it did happen today.

Honestly, the only one that has had more than a throw or a series of success out of that group has been Maurer. He stayed hurt most of last year and apparently hasn't been healthy since the start of practice.

VN Store

Back