There's no reason we shouldn't be able to upset Alabama

True.
But we have seen all 3 options in limited opportunities since the middle of last year. I dont know about you, but I havent seen anything from that limited time that says its been here all along if it did happen today.

Honestly, the only one that has had more than a throw or a series of success out of that group has been Maurer. He stayed hurt most of last year and apparently hasn't been healthy since the start of practice.

Oh I don't either. I think hoping one of the backups can step up and lead us to victory today and has been our new Josh Dobbs all along is grasping at straws.

But at the same time, if we DO have said new Josh Dobbs hiding back there, then that makes me afraid we also have our new Butch Jones.

We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.
690bebc6fb6b71c917372734234b82f8.gif

Oh I don't either. I think hoping one of the backups can step up and lead us to victory today and has been our new Josh Dobbs all along is grasping at straws.

But at the same time, if we DO have said new Josh Dobbs hiding back there, then that makes me afraid we also have our new Butch Jones.
I dont know that I agree with the last part, because we agree on the first part.

If Maurer, Shrout or Bailey waltz in today and play well enough to beat Bama, I think it will not only be a surprise to us but the staff as well.
Im just not sure I buy the idea that Pruitt, Chaney and anyone with input will feel like, we knew that QB was ready to do that even tho we wouldn't play him.

Jones was running the "read option" with a no read, 1 option QB, while he had a guy on the bench that fit the scheme. I dont see that is the case here. I dont think Chaney is gonna completely change the idea with anybody on the roster. Its just finding one right now that can do it better.

Must be worn out watching Wisconsin scoring all those TDs against Illinois yesterday. Lovie is not getting it done there!
I do follow illinois and have always liked Lovie. But he just can’t recruit the horses to compete with the better teams in the Big 2.
Unfortunately, that sounds kind of familiar.

There are all the reasons. Every reason thought by man is a reason why we lose to Bama.

So many reasons.

I dont know that I agree with the last part, because we agree on the first part.

If Maurer, Shrout or Bailey waltz in today and play well enough to beat Bama, I think it will not only be a surprise to us but the staff as well.
Im just not sure I buy the idea that Pruitt, Chaney and anyone with input will feel like, we knew that QB was ready to do that even tho we wouldn't play him.

Jones was running the "read option" with a no read, 1 option QB, while he had a guy on the bench that fit the scheme. I dont see that is the case here. I dont think Chaney is gonna completely change the idea with anybody on the roster. Its just finding one right now that can do it better.

Yeah it's not exactly the same, but in the sense that if they had a guy back there that could and they couldn't recognize it, I don't know that just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about Pruitt and company. I mean it happens and I wouldn't say it automatically turns me against them, but it's just bothersome to me.

But right now this is all kind of moot until we see what happens today.

There are all the reasons. Every reason thought by man is a reason why we lose to Bama.

So many reasons.

Oh wait, now I get the OP.

They are saying there isn't A reason....as in there isn't just ONE particular reason why can't win.

We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.
you better stick with upsetting the south carolinas and vandys.

I'm astonished at this forum the last 5 days. Apparently there is no reason to watch the game and bama is going to hang 70 on us in the 1st half..
They may actually do just that. And I’m not sure anyone is saying don’t watch. Many people are growing tired of watching our biggest rivals destroy us, as well as watching our garbage QB week and week, year after year.

Yeah it's not exactly the same, but in the sense that if they had a guy back there that could and they couldn't recognize it, I don't know that just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about Pruitt and company. I mean it happens and I wouldn't say it automatically turns me against them, but it's just bothersome to me.

But right now this is all kind of moot until we see what happens today.

Its understandable.
I think we have a capable QB on this roster. Hopefully a really good one. I just dont know who that is or when you will know that but its time to give them an extended shot to see. My only caution is the freak out that will take place if a couple of them get the chance and dont look great right off the bat.

If it was really evident we were not playing a guy that was ready all along I would totally agree. I just don't think thats the case.

Agreed. We may see 4 quarters of JG. If that happens and the play isn't substantially better then we have bigger issues than just the QB spot.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
#2 is the main reason.....nuff said and if any of you think that Pruitt will not start him, you’re either drunk or high. I would bet nice green cash money that says JG starts.
I agree that he will start, but also he will have a very short rope.

With solid QB play you can beat teams you shouldn’t however with poor QB play you won’t beat anyone better than you. Sadly the rest of our season will come down to who shows up each Saturday Jekyll or Hyde

Lets see here...Alabama routed Georgia. Georgia routed Tennessee. Yea sure, there is no reason why UT shouldn't upset the tide; None at all.

I'd love to believe this, but there is literally ZERO indications that this team will be able to remain competitive with the Red Elephants. There was an illusion of competiveness for a half against UGA, but that was the product of a gift turnover and two miraculous 4th down stops that gave us relatively short fields. The UK game was a story of us getting completely dominated (I just threw up a little in my mouth typing that).

But who knows? Bummer would have to really play terrible and we'd need to play perfect. Both are not impossible but improbable to say the least.

Lets see here...Alabama routed Georgia. Georgia routed Tennessee. Yea sure, there is no reason why UT shouldn't upset the tide; None at all.

Love your profile pic. I love Orange amplifiers . . . I play guitar and bass. My ESP guitar sounds GREAT running through an Orange amp. My Rickenbacker 4003 bass sounds even better playing thru an Orange OB-1 bass amp.

Reactions: jarhead
Even if the earth should shift and we somehow pull off an upset, that still doesn't mean that we are a good team. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Beating Bama would be sweet, but no victory is going to erase losing to Kentucky like we did or the general feeling that Tennessee is a long ways off from ever being relevant again. I know, I know...I'm a negavol. I do want to win, but I just don't see it happening. If Kentucky can beat Alabama in November, I will come back and eat a good portion of crow, but until then it's gonna take more than beating the Bummers to fix what ails me as a Vol fan.
I disagree.
Beating Bama could fix everything.
Even NegaVols could say "we back"

Somehow you can deduce: people who have heard the same things every year for more than a decade and it turns out to be untrue.....and then those people start calling it how they see it, they stop “sugar” coating everything, and aren’t as positive as they used to be........live a negative life.......and they have unrealistic expectations of “everything” around them.

Wow......you understand not everyone watches a game or is a fan of a team and makes that their life......every day all day......right? Better yet not everyone who posts on a “message board” lives the message board all day every day, letting that influence their decision making process all day every day........right?
Yep. Agree. It is a game. A game I love and a team that means a lot to me. Its ok to have hope and still be a realist. But life is more. Just saying in both life and every game, have hope. Be positive.

Reactions: JoAllan
I do follow illinois and have always liked Lovie. But he just can’t recruit the horses to compete with the better teams in the Big 2.
Unfortunately, that sounds kind of familiar.
Year 5 for Lovie? He got all hyped up for going 6-7...whoa...hold the phone. They are paying him a boatload of money and I at least thought he'd be a good/great recruiter. This past class they were 88th. Dear Lord. This waxing by Wisconsin put on display just what a failure the Lovie Smith era has been.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Yep. Agree. It is a game. A game I love and a team that means a lot to me. Its ok to have hope and still be a realist. But life is more. Just saying in both life and every game, have hope. Be positive.

I’m all for being positive. I’m one of the most upbeat and positive people you could meet. However when talking about something like this......over time, I’m probably just going to be real. Some may see that as negative, some would say “he’s just tired of things really being negative.” .......I just say it’s reality and it is what it is.

I’ll be positive, and hopeful today, as I am every time Tennessee is going to play.....regardless. However at some point.....if it gets bad.....I’ll probably revert to reality. Not that positivity isn’t “reality” or real.......but I’ll probably see and express the “reality” of the situation.

I’m all for being positive. I’m one of the most upbeat and positive people you could meet. However when talking about something like this......over time, I’m probably just going to be real. Some may see that as negative, some would say “he’s just tired of things really being negative.” .......I just say it’s reality and it is what it is.

I’ll be positive, and hopeful today, as I am every time Tennessee is going to play.....regardless. However at some point.....if it gets bad.....I’ll probably revert to reality. Not that positivity isn’t “reality” or real.......but I’ll probably see and express the “reality” of the situation.

There are obviously some people here that are only negative all the time, but yeah I agree it gets annoying that if you don't post how you "believe" UT is going to win every game that it somehow makes you less of a fan or "negative". Me saying I can't afford a Beverly Hills mansion isn't being negative, it's the truth.

VN Store

Back