Tight end Kyle Oliver leaving the program

Not knocking on Butch but can you not see these kids aren't competitive when he recruits them? We have never had so many transfers in the history of Tn football. These kids don't want to compete for playing time.

Not knocking on Butch but can you not see these kids aren't competitive when he recruits them? We have never had so many transfers in the history of Tn football. These kids don't want to compete for playing time.

Many have said that this was tied to the Charles Mosley situation...had nothing to do with talent or competition.

Reactions: 4 people

This nor Bruce has anything to do with competition. Both were off the field issues.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate losing someone at a position of little depth.
And, I really hate losing another in state player.
Alex Ellis is going to have to step up now.

AJ Branisel. Everyone forgets about him. He has bulked up and ready to roll. We have Brooks and Pope coming in next year. Sucks for Oliver but when you are a marginal prospect to begin with you better take care if business.

For you worry warts Joe Stocstill offers more at the TE position than Oliver would.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I think a couple years in the program and he could have been a contributor, but these borderline recruits have to be great everywhere else(classroom and off the field). It would appear if they don't shine everywhere else, there won't be much tolerance.

Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes the Vol's have to step backwards, in order to go foreward, but Oliver leaving, is concerning......more not so good news IMHO

As I posted in the other thread, Kyle Oliver was Charles Mosley's accomplice. Looks like he might have provided the "product" and then allowed Mosley to drive under the influence.

Possibly more to the story than what most people think? Yes?

Sometimes the Vol's have to step backwards, in order to go foreward, but Oliver leaving, is concerning......more not so good news IMHO

The Carlin Fils-Amie commitment far outweighs any news on Oliver. Neyland rocking "Fee Zuh May" will be epic unless of course Carlin pronounces his name differently.

Last edited:
Oliver and Bruce were the weakest players in the class. I'm glad we have an extra scholarship for a better player for next year

21 I believe

I'm not a recruiting expert but this wouldn't give us an extra spot for '16 would it? Oliver signed an LOI so he's a counter for '15. We only get 25 initial counters per class and we were down to 17 at one point about a month ago. Bruce did not count as an initial counter and wouldn't have until Fall camp since he was a blue shirt. That's why we get to use his scholarship this year. At least that's the way I understood it. Please feel to correct me though.

There was nothing that would make anyone think Oliver was going to be "a great one".

"Alright, so I've watched the highlight video. This kid can play. If he measures out to his listed size then it's going to be great for us. He is plenty athletic and he has great body control to turn for the ball and catch it at the peak of his jump.

Furthermore, I absolutely love that we have a commit at TE that was lined up outside in all of his highlight film.

A+++ Butch"
Plenty more in his recruiting thread including an Aaron Hernandez reference

Last edited:
I hate losing someone at a position of little depth.

We needed depth at TE....

We're fine at depth for TE. Ethan Wolf has Alex Ellis, Joe Stocstill, A.J. Branisel, Neiko Creamer, his little brother Eli, and Will Jumper all lined up behind him. We typically play one TE at a time, sometimes two. Having seven on the sideline is plenty. Especially with several of them being highly talented.

We're gonna be fine. Young Oliver, on the other hand, goofed up his chances at being part of something awesome.

Last edited:
Kyle Oliver leaving also opens up another scholarship for the 2016 class. Tennessee can now sign 20 recruits.

Yep. Just made room for the two tight ends we have in the 2016 class. (Brooks and Pope)

Last edited:
I'm not a recruiting expert but this wouldn't give us an extra spot for '16 would it? Oliver signed an LOI so he's a counter for '15. We only get 25 initial counters per class and we were down to 17 at one point about a month ago. Bruce did not count as an initial counter and wouldn't have until Fall camp since he was a blue shirt. That's why we get to use his scholarship this year. At least that's the way I understood it. Please feel to correct me though.

yes it would. Tennessee is talking to the NCAA about getting the scholarship back from Swafford which would make it 21. And from what I read Oliver was a blueshirt.

VN Store

Back