Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

Furthermore, we better hope this is a false rumor. The best way to get rid of a coach that is universally admired by the fan base is to allow the boosters to stick their noses where it doesn't belong and meddle in football affairs. The moment Butch feels like he doesn't have sole possession of the reigns, he will walk and leave behind a dumpster fire just to spite. Let the guy call his shots. And if he fails, on to the next coach.

Reactions: 4 people
Make no mistake, there was at least one booster who orchestrated the Kiffin hiring.

His team also wears Orange.

Kiffin was Hamilton's guy. Haslam did vet him though before he officially got the job. A lot changed in the AD since Hamilton's time here though.

Reactions: 2 people
If this is true, that fan opinion can or have influenced Jones coaching choice, the program may still be in serious trouble.

Reactions: 4 people
If this is true, that fan opinion can or have influenced Jones coaching choice, the program may still be in serious trouble.
If you don't think other HC's don't catch hell from their fans when rumors of sh!ity hires are looming, you are fooling yourself.

They hear it. In fact, I think all the blowback Hamilton got when there were media outlets CONFIRMING Cutcliff as the new HC here (post Kiffin)....actually forced him to re-think the hire. Or Cutcliffe got wind that people were lining up over the bridge (to jump off), and decided it wasn't going to be a good marriage. :)

That hire literally was a done deal. Every media outlet announced it as such.

Reactions: 3 people
Throwing weight around with an AD over a head coach is one thing. Dictating a staff hire to a head coach is kind of fantasy stuff. I've been in the stadium plenty. Personally, I don't want a head coach taking a poll over who gets to call the plays.

Throwing weight around with an AD over a head coach is one thing. Dictating a staff hire to a head coach is kind of fantasy stuff. I've been in the stadium plenty. Personally, I don't want a head coach taking a poll over who gets to call the plays.
For the umpteenth time....he never said they dictated anything. Just expressed their concern. If they are effectively the program's Sugar Daddy(s) why shouldn't they have his ear to some degree or the other?

Throwing weight around with an AD over a head coach is one thing. Dictating a staff hire to a head coach is kind of fantasy stuff.

Whats funny is some of these same people used to defend dooley by saying Hart forced him to hire CSS and now they are saying Hart cant tell butch who he can and cant hire.

GAvol not saying your one of these people, just speaking in general.

There is no doubt that Butch took notice of the negative fan reaction to DeBord, and boosters typically are not shy about expressing their opinions--one way or another. Should fans and boosters affect a hiring decision? No, but I wouldn't be surprised if the negative reaction caused Butch to take another look at the OC situation, after perhaps being set on DeBord. It is hard to know, of course--but no coach really wants to bring in a coordinator whom the fans don't like from the get-go; that will create an even bigger outcry if the offense were to perform poorly and undermine the coach's credibility. If all this has prompted BJ to expand and rethink the search, I think that is a very good thing, because one got a sense that he didn't conduct much of a search before zeroing in on DeBord. It never hurts to talk/interview a wide range of people, even if a decision has to be made very soon.

Last edited:
For the umpteenth time....he never said they dictated anything. Just expressed their concern. If they are effectively the program's Sugar Daddy(s) why shouldn't they have his ear to some degree or the other?

"Dictated" is exactly what his over dramatized post implied.

This whole OC search is fan soap opera BS.

Reactions: 5 people
Whats funny is some of these same people used to defend dooley by saying Hart forced him to hire CSS and now they are saying Hart cant tell butch who he can and cant hire.

GAvol not saying your one of these people, just speaking in general.

Dooley forced Dooley to hire Sunseri. Dooley burned bridges with assistants, sucked at his job and was a dead man walking when he made that hire. Everyone knew that and anyone with decent options isn't going to jump on a sinking ship. So we had to settle for an unproven coach that had never been a coordinator.

I bet Butch hires who he wants and big money boosters have big money.

You are beating a dead horse man, and no one is listening to ya. I agree with you, but many fail to see the situation as a whole.

No, donors don't tell head coaches what to do, but we are completely invested in Butch now. We can't fire Butch for the next 4-5 years; therefore, this OC hire is vital for our program. It's not on to the next one if Butch botches this hire by going with someone in his Michigan circle. We are married to Butch, and this hire dictates our future. No way in he@@ will our donors let Butch hire a dude who hasn't been an OC in 7 years without expressing their concern first.

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:
The Tony Basilio Show
He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.
The Butch mention came out of a discussion of the Big Money loving Donnie Tyndall. They will protect him to the hilt! Listen to the whole segment and you will hear Basilio go after Goodman for having DT #1 on the hit list as total BS!

Dooley forced Dooley to hire Sunseri. Dooley burned bridges with assistants, sucked at his job and was a dead man walking when he made that hire. Everyone knew that and anyone with decent options isn't going to jump on a sinking ship. So we had to settle for an unproven coach that had never been a coordinator.

Deja vu?

If you don't think other HC's don't catch hell from their fans when rumors of sh!ity hires are looming, you are fooling yourself.

They hear it. In fact, I think all the blowback Hamilton got when there were media outlets CONFIRMING Cutcliff as the new HC here (post Kiffin)....actually forced him to re-think the hire. Or Cutcliffe got wind that people were lining up over the bridge (to jump off), and decided it wasn't going to be a good marriage. :)

That hire literally was a done deal. Every media outlet announced it as such.

The problem being the idea that fans can realisically evaluate coaching personnel. Sort of like you giving a coach a negative evaluation based upon incomplete or dubious information.

Originally Posted by fade route View Post
I would love for it to be Tee Martin just so I can sit back and watch a bunch of Tee - hating jack wagons try to reverse course and give him a hero's welcome

The only thing that would beat that is if Butch hired Kiffin.

Tee chose Kiffen over Tennessee . So they will never be a heros welcome there.

In what sense? Jake left for more time with his family. Father of three young kids with a fourth on the way and really these guys get worn out on the road. Just easier for him to be a position coach in the league now and have some time off at least during the offseason. That move was about his family. If Azzani leaves it will be for a promotion. Dooley had guys leaving for lateral moves and sometimes even lesser jobs.

In what sense? Jake left for more time with his family. Father of three young kids with a fourth on the way and really these guys get worn out on the road. Just easier for him to be a position coach in the league now and have some time off at least during the offseason. That move was about his family. If Azzani leaves it will be for a promotion. Dooley had guys leaving for lateral moves and sometimes even lesser jobs.

+1

How many times do we have to listen to Basilio be wrong about something before we stop paying attention to his prognostications?

I thought a Basilio quote was the original check my stats killer. Done and in the fire.

VN Store

Back