Tony B says Butch "got blown up over DeBord"

How many times do we have to listen to Basilio be wrong about something before we stop paying attention to his prognostications?

It is just Tony being Tony. He seldom is correct anymore and changes his posts all the time. Tony is having a hard time and is trying to get attention.

Reactions: 1 person
He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend."

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
If this is true, that fan opinion can or have influenced Jones coaching choice, the program may still be in serious trouble.

This was one of the reasons we founds our Football Program in the condition we were 6-8 years ago. We are just beginning to recover. I don't want to have to go through another dry period again..

In what sense? Jake left for more time with his family. Father of three young kids with a fourth on the way and really these guys get worn out on the road. Just easier for him to be a position coach in the league now and have some time off at least during the offseason. That move was about his family. If Azzani leaves it will be for a promotion. Dooley had guys leaving for lateral moves and sometimes even lesser jobs.

Taking a QB job in the NFL is a step down from OC in the SEC. But back to my original point is some are twisting this now, back in 2012 Dooley was forced by hart to hire buddy hacket now its hart cant tell butch jones what to do. Last i checked hart was butch jones boss.

If you don't think other HC's don't catch hell from their fans when rumors of sh!ity hires are looming, you are fooling yourself.

They hear it. In fact, I think all the blowback Hamilton got when there were media outlets CONFIRMING Cutcliff as the new HC here (post Kiffin)....actually forced him to re-think the hire. Or Cutcliffe got wind that people were lining up over the bridge (to jump off), and decided it wasn't going to be a good marriage. :)

That hire literally was a done deal. Every media outlet announced it as such.

The only influence the fans have is not buying tickets. Their posts these boards are just a way for those who own the boards to let people express their knowledge or lack of knowledge on any subject which happens to wiggle out of they heads. That is the only way they make their bucks. Dream on.

I had an earlier post on here in January talking about the over/under 40 years old factor for the OC. We have such a young coaching team that I'd be surprised if our next OC is over 40. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

Yeah. Those donors always looking out for us...

Good Guy Donor.

There is no doubt that Butch took notice of the negative fan reaction to DeBord, and boosters typically are not shy about expressing their opinions--one way or another. Should fans and boosters affect a hiring decision? No, but I wouldn't be surprised if the negative reaction caused Butch to take another look at the OC situation, after perhaps being set on DeBord. It is hard to know, of course--but no coach really wants to bring in a coordinator whom the fans don't like from the get-go; that will create an even bigger outcry if the offense were to perform poorly and undermine the coach's credibility. If all this has prompted BJ to expand and rethink the search, I think that is a very good thing, because one got a sense that he didn't conduct much of a search before zeroing in on DeBord. It never hurts to talk/interview a wide range of people, even if a decision has to be made very soon.

I'd say there is plenty of doubt. No even knows if Butch was actually going to name Debord as the new OC. Everything was based off rumors.

Taking a QB job in the NFL is a step down from OC in the SEC. But back to my original point is some are twisting this now, back in 2012 Dooley was forced by hart to hire buddy hacket now its hart cant tell butch jones what to do. Last i checked hart was butch jones boss.

Lol, you need to put away the tin foil hat. Sunseri was not forced on Dooley, that was all on Dools. Dooley's options were pretty limited when he made that hire. I love how people portray Hart as forcing this or that like he is some overlord, fact is Dooley was lucky to even still have the job when he hired Sunseri. Hart more than gave Dooley the time and the resources to succeed but Dooley failed on his own.

Listen in, starting the 1st segment, starting about the 44 min mark:

The Tony Basilio Show

He says when word was going around that DeBord was the OC, that the Big Money donors "blew him up over the weekend." Could be them just letting him know the fan reaction and how abysmal it would have been.

Any coach that lets fans run the team probably won't be the coach very long.

Throwing weight around with an AD over a head coach is one thing. Dictating a staff hire to a head coach is kind of fantasy stuff. I've been in the stadium plenty. Personally, I don't want a head coach taking a poll over who gets to call the plays.

You and I agree on a lot of things, but this isn't it. Regardless of the"weight" throwing, this hire can make or break butch's career. We are on a rise. I can see "the big donors" wanting to make sure this done right. The ship is finally headed in the right direction. Time to pick up steam....

I could see it going down like this:

A couple big money donors see the DeBord stuff and give the AD a call. They leave a message.

Butch and Hart hear the message and laugh out loud

Big donor vents to Tony B. saying that they let the AD know that they weren't happy

Tony B. announces that on the radio

Any coach that lets fans run the team probably won't be the coach very long.

The "Big Money Donors" are not just your normal fan. They actually have almost as much pull as the AD himself. People like Jim Thorton and Charlie Ergen have quite a bit of influence. They essentially are the driving parts behind the money for improvements and other things.

If Tony B says it, it cannot be true. Trying to be a player in UT Athletics but just makes stuff up.

The "Big Money Donors" are not just your normal fan. They actually have almost as much pull as the AD himself. People like Jim Thorton and Charlie Ergen have quite a bit of influence. They essentially are the driving parts behind the money for improvements and other things.

And yet Jim Thornton couldn't save his pal Fulmer even when inept Mike Hamilton was running the show. Influence yes but the do not have the pull that the AD does. And again let me reiterate the landscape has changed quite a bit since Hamilton ran things.

Lol, you need to put away the tin foil hat. Sunseri was not forced on Dooley, that was all on Dools. Dooley's options were pretty limited when he made that hire. I love how people portray Hart as forcing this or that like he is some overlord, fact is Dooley was lucky to even still have the job when he hired Sunseri. Hart more than gave Dooley the time and the resources to succeed but Dooley failed on his own.

You need to read my post better, I simply said some on here are the sameones who were defending dooley by saying sunseri was forced on him by hart. They are now saying no way Hart could block Jones from hiring anyone he wanted. I never said it was true:hi:

I agree. Those improvements don't have those names on them because they bought $100.00 tickets.

GO VOLS!!

Here's the thing with the DeBord hire, Butch has been preaching his system since day one and cramming this "it's a process" crap down everyones throat. What does that say about his system or his process to bring in a guy who has never ran this type of system? Remember when everyone was questioning his system when "Worley would never keep the ball" and how he blew up on the media saying they dont understand the system and the fans dont understand the process? As far as the big time donors go, when it comes down to it they dont have the final say so as far as who Butch hires. But you better believe Butch wants them on his side if he wants to survive here, another thing to remember is one of the biggest donors to the football program is still butt hurt over the Fulmer deal. So it would probably be in Butch's best interest to at least hear the donors out.

Fahr Butch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He ain't worth a dam.

VN Store

Back