Updated Bowl Projections

Again, those six bowls are considered equal in the eyes of the placing committee at the SEC office. So doesn't matter what we are ranked

So if I understand, the SEC decides who goes to which bowl?
The bowls have no input in who they invite and the teams have no input either??? :blink:

Seems a little Dictator-ish!

Again, those six bowls are considered equal in the eyes of the placing committee at the SEC office. So doesn't matter what we are ranked

The bowls do have say so in wh is invited. According to Vince Ferrar we Hart pulled strings to get us in the TS bowl last year. He apparently has connections with that bowl. He said this on his radio show a few weeks back.

Futile to guess at this stuff. 2007 we went to the chicken bowl with 10 wins and an East title

A warm climate and an overrated opponent. Unless you're in the playoffs that should be the desire of the entire fan base.

Reactions: 3 people
Remember though, Tennessee can bring the money, and the Bowl commities really like that. I would assueme we play a bowl in jan..

Reactions: 2 people
If it comes down to any six, I just want it to be against a good team with tradition. A good match up with a good team. Once I see the match up, I will decide if it's worth my coins or not.

Reactions: 1 person
We haven't been dominated by anybody, so I fear nobody. It would be great to beat a big 10 teams. The liberty bowl against kansas state would be a total bore--for everybody. The liberty bowl is a bore, to be candid.

How the crap does Ole Miss deserve the Sugar when there's like a record number of 1 loss teams?

When it comes to the next season, they don't.

Outside of UT's bowl game, how many do you recall from last season?

Bowl games matter to the coaches, the program and most of all the players. They matter to recruiting. They matter for team morale and confidence. It doesnt matter about what other bowl any other team went to. What matters is that our Tennessee Vols will make it to a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I know I will get some flak for this, but I would like to see a Tenn against Memphis matchup

The only tie in for the AAC vs the SEC is the Birmingham Bowl and that one is slotted for the number 9 SEC team..right now that is Auburn

Bowl games matter to the coaches, the program and most of all the players. They matter to recruiting. They matter for team morale and confidence. It doesnt matter about what other bowl any other team went to. What matters is that our Tennessee Vols will make it to a bowl game. And it matters.

and don't forget the rather nice gifts...I think the Belk bowl gives 500 dollar gift cards to each player plus other gifts

Outback or Belk. We will go to one or the other. Personally I hope it's the outback bowl.

There are 80 slots available and 71 bowl eligible teams..the SEC has enough to fill their 10 slots..here are the teams, including Missouri, Kentucky, and Texas that can still get to 6 wins. Wonder if all 12 SEC teams would get invites if Missouri and Kentucky win?

With one week left to go (two weeks for the Big 12 and Sunbelt), 71 teams are at 6 wins. You have twelve teams at 5-6, one team at 5-5, and four teams at 4-6. With 80 bids, nine of these seventeen teams need to get to 6-6 to avoid the embarrassment of a 5-7 team making a bowl. The schedule is as follows:

5-6 (at home against non-bowl team) -- Old Dominion (vs. Florida Atlantic); Buffalo (vs. Massachusetts)

5-6 (at home against bowl team) -- East Carolina (vs. Cincinnati); Nebraska (vs. Iowa); Illinois (vs. Northwestern); Minnesota (vs. Wisconsin); San Jose State (vs. Boise State); Washington (vs. Washington State); Kentucky (vs. Louisville)

5-6 (on road against non-bowl team) -- Tulsa (at Tulane); Virginia Tech (at Virginia); Indiana (at Purdue)

5-6 (on road against bowl team) -- Missouri (at Arkansas)

5-5 -- South Alabama (at Georgia Southern, vs. Appalachian State -- both bowl teams)

4-6 -- Texas (vs. Texas Tech, at Baylor -- both bowl teams); Kansas State (at Kansas, vs. West Virginia -- West Virginia, a bowl team); Georgia State (vs. Troy, at Georgia Southern); Louisiana-Lafayette (at Appalachian State; vs. Troy)

Assuming that teams only beat non-bowl teams, you would have only five of the 17 make it to 6-6 leaving four bids for 5-7 teams. While some of the teams playing a bowl team might win, some of the teams playing a non-bowl team might lose. The best argument for getting to 80 is that many of the bowl teams have nothing to lose. Only Iowa and Baylor still have something to play for with the rest being shuffled to the conference tie-ins that care less for records and more about ability to sell tickets to bring fans to spend money at hotels and restaurants in the host city.

VN Store

Back