Vols Are "Most Experienced Power5 Team in the Country"

The 11 game streak might not matter, but I guarantee you these players that have been on the team two years in a row for choked 4th quarter leads remember those games for sure.

You throw out just a bunch of statistics of how on paper we are so much better than them. What is the point of playing the game if we already won it on paper, right? Because the favorite always win.

That's exactly my point. YES the Jrs and Srs remember those games. Does that somehow mean they are going to prepare less for this game? Or that they will play terrible? No.

And yes - I claimed we should win barring injuries or other anomalies. So many fans have the mindset "I'll believe we beat UF when I see it." By your logic, why play the game? They've beat us the last 11 years, we've already lost this one too.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone in the football program is well aware of the streak, but it doesn't affect the players, coaches, or support staff.

The media and fans are the ones who let things like that get to them
. I played ball for a Power 5 team that hadn't won a bowl game since '49. I was a part of the program when that streak was broken. That kind of stuff does not change your preparation OR the way you play as an athlete. You treat it like any other game. Our guys will be a little more juiced because it's a rivalry, but other than that it's business as usual.

As an example - CLE hadn't won any major sports championships since the 50's. You think that impacted the Cavs in their post-season run this year? I don't think so.
good example on the cavs. and did you see the emotional reaction from the fans...and the players after having won it? the commentary about the significance of the win from Lebron and other players? it wasn't just business as usual. it meant more because it meant more....if that makes any sense...

and i didn't say it would/should affect them. honestly i don't think it will. i agree with you on that. it's just this notion that if you ignore it, it'll go away. it won't go away until it's dealt with.

it will only affect them if they allow it to. but you and i both know that will be the topic de jour up until we win that game. that's all i'm getting at.

acknowledge it for what it is...accept it because it's not going away (thank you media and fans) and finally....just go beat them, and deal with it.

That's exactly my point. YES the Jrs and Srs remember those games. Does that somehow mean they are going to prepare less for this game? Or that they will play terrible? No.

And yes - I claimed we should win barring injuries or other anomalies. So many fans have the mindset "I'll believe we beat UF when I see it." By your logic, why play the game? They've beat us the last 11 years, we've already lost this one too.

That's not my logic. Mine is let's actually play the game and see who wins. But people keep throwing out paper statistics as to why we should win the game and why we will win the game, when this is a game that is about so much more than paper stats.

In your eyes, you've already crowned us the victor which makes no sense.

I believed that about our squad two years ago, when we played so many freshmen and sophomores. Could see them all thinking that, "sure, the program had a problem with Florida in the past, but we're the solution to that problem."

I still somewhat believed it to be true last year, when the "center of mass" of the team were still the sophomore class.

But this year, I have to say, it would be very unusual for our junior-heavy team not to have one corner of the brain focused on the two teams that they haven't been able to beat, two years running.

Sure, they'll be coached to forget the past, focus on who we are now, this is Our Time, Team 120 forges its own destiny, etc. That's just good coaching.

But it's human nature to remember the past, to see patterns. And so I think there is an element of that in our collective psyche. Players and coaches as well, not just fans.

No matter, though, let's just whup dey azz and start a new direction for both series. Go Vols!

These guys are high level SEC athletes. They are confident and driven young men. They believe they can win any time they step on the field.

They don't let that doubt creep in their mind like fans do. Because if you do that as a competitor, you've already lost.

I've been on the wrong side of these kinds of streaks when I played. Our belief, preparation, and effort never faltered though. Either way, I'm with you brother. GBO and whoop some gator azz.

...and i didn't say it would/should affect them. honestly i don't think it will. i agree with you on that. it's just this notion that if you ignore it, it'll go away. it won't go away until it's dealt with.

it will only affect them if they allow it to. but you and i both know that will be the topic de jour up until we win that game. that's all i'm getting at.

I think it can't help but affect them. It's the 800 pound gorilla in the room in the week (or more) leading up to the game. Heck, we know it's occupying at least a little of their thought processes even this far out, thanks to the twitter exchange between Tabor and Hurd. It's in their minds, of course it is.

The question is, does it affect them in a way that helps us win, or in a way that inhibits our chances?

That's up to the coaches. They've gotta be a little bit shrink and get the lads (and themselves) in a good place mentally to end these two streaks. Make it work for the team, rather than against them. Let it be fuel, not an obstacle.

Here's hoping Butch & Co are up to this leadership task. I'm pretty sure they are. They just gotta do it.

Last edited:
That's not my logic. Mine is let's actually play the game and see who wins. But people keep throwing out paper statistics as to why we should win the game and why we will win the game, when this is a game that is about so much more than paper stats.

In your eyes, you've already crowned us the victor which makes no sense.

No, I'm claiming we should win. Like I originally said, I honestly think we beat them handily this year. However, College Football is a crazy game played with an odd-shaped ball that can bounce any which way. My belief is that if we played this UF team 10 times next year, we win the majority of them.

My OP was directed to all the fans that have such a defeated attitude towards the Florida game. I get so tired of seeing people chalk that game up as a loss.

These guys are high level SEC athletes. They are confident and driven young men. They believe they can win any time they step on the field.

They don't let that doubt creep in their mind like fans do. Because if you do that as a competitor, you've already lost.

I've been on the wrong side of these kinds of streaks when I played. Our belief, preparation, and effort never faltered though. Either way, I'm with you brother. GBO and whoop some gator azz.
fans have the burden of history. the media has the obligation to acknowledge it.

we can't wish it away or put our heads in the sand. and unfortunately neither can the players or coaches. that noise will exist.

that outside noise about the streak will be something they have to deal with. that's just a fact. that's my main point in all this hoopla about the FL game.

again, just acknowledge it for what it is. it will only affect the outcome if the players and coaches allow it to.

I think it can't help but affect them. It's the 800 pound gorilla in the room in the week (or more) leading up to the game. Heck, we know it's occupying at least a little of their thought processes even this far out, thanks to the twitter exchange between Tabor and Hurd. It's in their minds, of course it is.

The question is, does it affect them in a way that helps us win, or in a way that inhibits our chances?

That's up to the coaches.
They've gotta be a little bit shrink and get the lads (and themselves) in a good place mentally to end these two streaks. Make it work for the team, rather than against them. Let it be fuel, not an obstacle.

Here's hoping Butch & Co are up to this leadership task. I'm pretty sure they are. They just gotta do it.

we're on the same page. it's up to them how they deal with it.

my biggest point is....acting like it's something that won't need to be dealt with is naive.

No, I'm claiming we should win. Like I originally said, I honestly think we beat them handily this year. However, College Football is a crazy game played with an odd-shaped ball that can bounce any which way. My belief is that if we played this UF team 10 times next year, we win the majority of them.

My OP was directed to all the fans that have such a defeated attitude towards the Florida game. I get so tired of seeing people chalk that game up as a loss.

and we're tired of losing it. history is heavy burden, and a good teacher.

Reactions: 2 people

I mean I would consider myself as part of the "see it to believe it group" but I don't believe my perception of this rivalry is any better or worse than those that have unrelenting postivity year-in and year-out and believe some statistics tell us we should win a game.

Battered Vol Syndrome is such a stupid phrase that people use to try to knock any fan that doesn't hold a D4H opinion. Yeah, I've seen some pretty horrifying losses in this Florida series. And yes, it has shaped my perception of how this series typically goes.

good example on the cavs. and did you see the emotional reaction from the fans...and the players after having won it? the commentary about the significance of the win from Lebron and other players? it wasn't just business as usual. it meant more because it meant more....if that makes any sense...

and i didn't say it would/should affect them. honestly i don't think it will. i agree with you on that. it's just this notion that if you ignore it, it'll go away. it won't go away until it's dealt with.

acknowledge it for what it is...accept it because it's not going away (thank you media and fans) and finally....just go beat them, and deal with it.

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing. I'm not turning a blind eye to the streak, and I'm not suggesting the guys do that either. You're right, it has to be acknowledged. And certainly a win against UF would mean infinitely more than a win against somebody like Virginia Tech.

All I'm saying is that I REFUSE to believe this game is already lost before we play, all based on the streak on the streak. Which is what so many fans do. And I can promise you, the Vols don't think that way either.

we're on the same page. it's up to them how they deal with it.

my biggest point is....acting like it's something that won't need to be dealt with is naive.

Amen. #1 leadership challenge of the coming year, at least among the predictable challenges.

There will be plenty of unpredicted ones, some of which might be even more daunting...but, of course, we don't know about those yet.

This one, this one Butch & Co can already be thinking about how to make the best of. How to make fuel out of it.

There are several of us who get what you are saying.
The "we have to acknowledge it" approach does make sense. Acknowledging it 50 times in every thread, that's the battered fan syndrome you pointed out.

I swear, feels like you can go to the what did you have for dinner thread
And someone will say "how could we have dinner before we beat Florida"
Lol.

Acknowledge it ha.
Like anyone on the board has gotten to go a day without it.

Reactions: 2 people
I mean I would consider myself as part of the "see it to believe it group" but I don't believe my perception of this rivalry is any better or worse than those that have unrelenting postivity year-in and year-out and believe some statistics tell us we should win a game.

Battered Vol Syndrome is such a stupid phrase that people use to try to knock any fan that doesn't hold a D4H opinion. Yeah, I've seen some pretty horrifying losses in this Florida series. And yes, it has shaped my perception of how this series typically goes.

Trust me, I'm no sunshine pumper that's perpetually optimistic. This is the first year that I've claimed we could/should win against them in a long time. Last year, I predicted we would be around 8-4 or 9-3 with potential losses being OK, UF, UGA, Bama. I tend to be a pretty realistic fan - or what I think is realistic anyways.

The "we have to acknowledge it" approach does make sense. Acknowledging it 50 times in every thread, that's the battered fan syndrome you pointed out.

Lol.

Acknowledge it ha.

EXACTLY! lol thank you. This is precisely what I'm referring to. "Just beat Florida. Only thing that matters" - or some version of that - is in EVERY THREAD.

Yeah, I think we're saying the same thing. I'm not turning a blind eye to the streak, and I'm not suggesting the guys do that either. You're right, it has to be acknowledged. And certainly a win against UF would mean infinitely more than a win against somebody like Virginia Tech.

All I'm saying is that I REFUSE to believe this game is already lost before we play, all based on the streak on the streak. Which is what so many fans do. And I can promise you, the Vols don't think that way either.

we're on the same page here as well. i won't call it a W in June because history has taught me more than once, having the better, or equal team, or homefield, doesn't always matter in this game.

that said, on paper, there's no reason to believe we're not capable of beating them this year.

in other words...it's ok in my book to expect a win over FL while at the same time acknowledging the streak, and why it's important for this program to get over that hump.

Amen. #1 leadership challenge of the coming year, at least among the predictable challenges.

There will be plenty of unpredicted ones, some of which might be even more daunting...but, of course, we don't know about those yet.

This one, this one Butch & Co can already be thinking about how to make the best of. How to make fuel out of it.

why you gotta go there?:p let's cross those bridges when we get there....:blink:

Lol.

Acknowledge it ha.
every time you click...you're making a choice. at some point, whose fault is it really?:whistling:

nb4 CBJ says:

None of our players have ever rode a bus to a neutral site game for the second game of the season to play in front of 160,000 fans, against a Virginia Tech team not coached by Frank Beamer as the prime time game of the week.

Lol.

Acknowledge it ha.

Charger, you silly, ba....hold on, I agree with you here.

Yep, agreed. 100% agreed.

:) :) :)

Definitely yours.

:)
and what would have the collective volnation do? not discuss it? should we ask Freak to put a moratorium on FL threads until September?

in reality, you should be thanking me. i'm keeping the ledge jumpers at bay, and at the very least providing a rational spin on "the streak".

all in all, i think i'm doing a fine job of being as pragmatic as i can regarding the FL game.:thumbsup:

Charger, you silly, ba....hold on, I agree with you here.

Yep, agreed. 100% agreed.

:) :) :)

Lol, thanks JP.
Before I mow my lawn, I acknowledge it needs to be mowed. I do not walk around for a week going
" you know we have to mow the lawn right, did I mention we have to mow the lawn, there's the lawn, but what about the lawn, I don't care for whole house burns down as long as we beat/mow the lawn.

If anyone here still thinks that Florida hasn't been acknowledged at this point, I really don't know what else to say.

Reactions: 3 people
:)
and what would have the collective volnation do? not discuss it? should we ask Freak to put a moratorium on FL threads until September?

in reality, you should be thanking me. i'm keeping the ledge jumpers at bay, and at the very least providing a rational spin on "the streak".

all in all, i think i'm doing a fine job of being as pragmatic as i can regarding the FL game.:thumbsup:

Crazy idea, something in between. Moderation

VN Store

Back