Who would you start at QB?

Who would you start at QB this season if you were the head coach?

• Jarrett Guarantano

• Harrison Bailey

• Brian Maurer

• JT Shrout

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Haven’t seen you in a while. Good ta see ya!

He’s proven he can read Hs defenses. I think it’s fair to say that college is a different/ more advanced scheme. That being said I think most highly touted qbs that put up good numbers in Hs can read a defense to some degree. Jmo
I've been around just not as much since the whole covid thing.
I agree, college ball particularly the SEC is a different animal. Unfortunately JG still can't read a defense.

Reactions: 1vol8
I've been around just not as much since the whole covid thing.
I agree, college ball particularly the SEC is a different animal. Unfortunately JG still can't read a defense.
That’s why it’s good to see ya! The covid thing makes you happy to see a familiar face that you haven’t seen in a while. That’s all.

I like JG and think he has all the skills needed to play at this level if he gets out of his own way. That being said I have no idea how he earned the rank he did out of Hs. Nor the DT label for that matter. That alone should tell us all how much we SHOULD trust the services.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
What are you saying I said?

I'd make Maurer prove that he can throw the ball to the correct team during mop up duty before letting him start another game,
This implies he had a problem throwing picks in mop up time.

As for the picks themselves, the MSU ones are very clearly him. The attempt to JJ in double coverage left MC open for a walk in underneath. That's the kind that you can teach an aggressive young QB to avoid. The one vs UGA was an overthrow where he didn't see the S help. Again, something you can correct. The one vs Bama where JJ bobbled then handed the ball off to a DB... isn't on the QB.

The one vs UF was an excellent play by them. The ball was not poorly thrown but their DB recovered and deflected the ball. Another DB made a diving grab. If you get a few of those and a bunch like the TD he threw to JJ vs UGA because your QB is aggressive... then you live with it.

Reactions: 1vol8
That’s why it’s good to see ya! The covid thing makes you happy to see a familiar face that you haven’t seen in a while. That’s all.

I like JG and think he has all the skills needed to play at this level if he gets out of his own way. That being said I have no idea how he earned the rank he did out of Hs. Nor the DT label for that matter. That alone should tell us all how much we SHOULD trust the services.
They seem right. Jg was much better than BM as a freshman much like the rankings.

Also JG is a multi year SEC starter. Seems about right for his rank.

They seem right. Jg was much better than BM as a freshman much like the rankings.

Dude.... he had 2* numbers and a 4* rank passing. How do you justify that? They gave him a duel threat label averaging 2 yards a carry. You bring up Maurer as if he was a part of this conversation so tell me how BM was a 3* while doubling JGs career passing yards in just his senior season alone vs Florida competition as well as averaging over dbl the yards per carry as a pocket passer? No.... they seem not only wrong but incompetent.

You... are a fundamentally dishonest person. JG redshirted as a Fr. He didn't play. JG started just over half the games in his 2nd year. He led the most anemic O UT has had in a long time... maybe ever. They averaged less than 17 ppg The team went 1-6 behind him with the only win being against a So Miss team that UT should have blown out... recurring theme in JG's starts.

UT was 12th in the SEC in total O when JG took over. They were LAST by a very significant margin in both months JG was the starter. Go ahead and drool over twisted "stats". He did not produce points. He did not lead the team to wins. He did not move the ball. The offense as a whole behind him was the worst in the SEC not helped one bit by his 139 yd/gm or his 3 non-factor TD passes.... or the 30 sacks he took because he could not read and throw quickly... another recurring theme. He was a completely ineffective QB as a RS freshman.

By default doesn't prove a thing. Dormady didn't play well either but was more credible than JG. JG took over but Dormady was already injured severely enough to have surgery.

A "multi-year" starter who in his RS Jr year gets replaced by a "lowly 3*" true Fr in the 4th game... but really starting in the 2nd half of the 3rd game... is worthy of 4*? You are completely delusional.

Dude.... he had 2* numbers and a 4* rank passing. How do you justify that? They gave him a duel threat label averaging 2 yards a carry. You bring up Maurer as if he was a part of this conversation so tell me how BM was a 3* while doubling JGs career passing yards in just his senior season alone vs Florida competition as well as averaging over dbl the yards per carry as a pocket passer? No.... they seem not only wrong but incompetent.
Those are very good points.

IMHO, Jones politicked the recruiting svcs on JG's behalf. He was close to the family and wanted his QB to be a publicity splash.

Well good thing ranking project college production and don't measure high school stats which are irrelevant. Especially when BM played the weakest division in the state and JG was injured and also played a Nationally Ranked schedule.

So pretty accurate.

Jg was 62% with 4td 2ints as a freshman to below 47% and 2 tds and 5ints.

Whomever wins the job is who I will support. I would like to think all Vol fane would feel the same but alas thats just not the case. As with absolutely any thread that mentions the letters QB, it inevitably devolves into a JG bash fest in where the keyboard dullards revel in taking potshots at JG.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You... are a fundamentally dishonest person. JG redshirted as a Fr. He didn't play. JG started just over half the games in his 2nd year. He led the most anemic O UT has had in a long time... maybe ever. They averaged less than 17 ppg The team went 1-6 behind him with the only win being against a So Miss team that UT should have blown out... recurring theme in JG's starts.

UT was 12th in the SEC in total O when JG took over. They were LAST by a very significant margin in both months JG was the starter. Go ahead and drool over twisted "stats". He did not produce points. He did not lead the team to wins. He did not move the ball. The offense as a whole behind him was the worst in the SEC not helped one bit by his 139 yd/gm or his 3 non-factor TD passes.... or the 30 sacks he took because he could not read and throw quickly... another recurring theme. He was a completely ineffective QB as a RS freshman.

By default doesn't prove a thing. Dormady didn't play well either but was more credible than JG. JG took over but Dormady was already injured severely enough to have surgery.

A "multi-year" starter who in his RS Jr year gets replaced by a "lowly 3*" true Fr in the 4th game... but really starting in the 2nd half of the 3rd game... is worthy of 4*? You are completely delusional.
Logged in to defend your new alt again?

LMAO

JG was a freshman when he started. He was not a sophomore. Be honest for once.

QD was more credible? By being much worse passing with the same team and o playing the weak part of the schedule?

Its a reason he was benched and transferred.

We had no wins with Bm this year. Only potential losses that JG saved. The team was terrible around him as well that year. We have way more talent now.

Completely ineffective but ten time better than BM. BM must have been even worse than I realized.

Spin it how you want, He will be a four year SEC starter who breaks or is close to a few UT passing records.

Those are very good points.

IMHO, Jones politicked the recruiting svcs on JG's behalf. He was close to the family and wanted his QB to be a publicity splash.
Damn you say some ridiculous stuff but this may take the cake.

So now we ave a conspiracy theory?

I guess his ranking had nothing to do with the camps he dominated or all the scouts who said he had one of the best arms they ever saw. lmao

Well good thing ranking project college production and don't measure high school stats which are irrelevant. Especially when BM played the weakest division in the state and JG was injured and also played a Nationally Ranked schedule.

So pretty accurate.

The O was anemic behind JG against each of those 7 opponents. He was risk averse and took 30 sacks.

You keep quoting that 47% as if it was indicative. It wasn't. He was 4/11 vs UF but also led UT's only scoring drive (52 yds).... UT's longest drive of that game. He didn't play nearly as well in "spot" play as he did when he was given the reins. Against UGA, MSU, Bama, and UK he was 30/58 for 480 2 TD's and 4 INT's.

Maurer's ypa was 8.3 compared to JG's 7.2 as starters in their "freshman" years. Maurer made too many mistakes. But they were aggressive mistakes.... not those "hidden mistakes" like crushing offensive momentum by holding the ball and taking 30 sacks.

So pretty accurate.

New Jersey competition vs Florida competition are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT beasts. In fact I hate to inform you that Florida competition also rivals Georgia competition by a visually significant margin as well. The only states that can somewhat compete with Florida is California and Texas and even then usually lose head to head. It’s a much faster game in Florida than you think. Think of the size of Texas and Cali vs the size of Florida. Florida is much smaller which means the talent pool is much more condensed into less space. You think they may play each other? A “weak” division in Florida May be much stronger than you give it credit for just because of geography alone.

Logged in to defend your new alt again?

LMAO

JG was a freshman when he started. He was not a sophomore. Be honest for once.
Are you that stupid or are you lying? JG redshirted and became the starter in the 6th game of his 2nd year.

QD was more credible? By being much worse passing with the same team and o playing the weak part of the schedule?
By leading the team to more points and being more difficult to defend prior to his injury.

Its a reason he was benched and transferred.
Not really. But I don't expect you to be honest about that either. QD won the job. The team leaked that QD had won the job. Media member recognized that QD had won the job.

Jones (your other hero) kept the competition open until he found a way to start JG. In fact, he almost lost the UMass game by trying to hand the job to JG.

We had no wins with Bm this year. Only potential losses that JG saved.
That... is mythology. Your glassy eyed school girl worship of JG... is disturbing.

The team was terrible around him as well that year. We have way more talent now.
Receiver talent is only as good as the guy throwing them the ball lets them be. This is a much better roster and was last year too. JG was still ineffective and was benched by the 4th game... not because UT had a great option... but because he played so poorly.

Completely ineffective but ten time better than BM. BM must have been even worse than I realized.
We really don't know how effective Maurer might have been had he not gotten hurt. But the best comparison is head to head... the games in which they both played. The FACT that a true Fr compares positively to a 4th year QB with 3 years starting experience... is really all you need to know.

Maurer in LESS actual playing time vs MSU, UGA, Bama, and UK completed 9 more passes than JG but had 170 more yards than JG. He produced 18 first downs compared to 11 for JG. He threw deeper with higher yds per attempt and completion.

Most importantly though, the O scored almost 40% more points behind Maurer in LESS TIME than they did behind JG in those games... even counting UK.

Spin it how you want, He will be a four year SEC starter who breaks or is close to a few UT passing records.
The record he is most likely to break is the most losses by an UT starting QB.

I don't really even enjoy pointing these things out. YOU make it necessary with your your delusional idol worship.

New Jersey competition vs Florida competition are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT beasts. In fact I hate to inform you that Florida competition also rivals Georgia competition by a visually significant margin as well. The only states that can somewhat compete with Florida is California and Texas and even then usually lose head to head. It’s a much faster game in Florida than you think. Think of the size of Texas and Cali vs the size of Florida. Florida is much smaller which means the talent pool is much more condensed into less space. You think they may play each other? A “weak” division in Florida May be much stronger than you give it credit for just because of geography alone.
Oh no... the "best" football is played in New Jersey... don't you know anything?

I truly believe that k-town is more worse than Dobbs4Heisman.

Are you that stupid or are you lying? JG redshirted and became the starter in the 6th game of his 2nd year.
...which made him a freshman

By leading the team to more points and being more difficult to defend prior to his injury.
Nothing about the 2017 Vols was hard to defend. Worst O-line ever.

Receiver talent is only as good as the guy throwing them the ball lets them be.
Except when it's slow and the running game sucks too.

The record he is most likely to break is the most losses by an UT starting QB.
OK . . . I got nothing for that one.

I don't really even enjoy pointing these things out. YOU make it necessary with your your delusional idol worship.
Posting like this is exhausting lol. My hat's off to you. I don't see how you do this.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Oh no... the "best" football is played in New Jersey... don't you know anything?

I truly believe that k-town is more worse than Dobbs4Heisman.
He’s definitely a special one. I just can’t stand it when himself and his compadre bring up that argument about BMs division. The kid played in 7-A at a performing arts school vs Orlando competition. And he held that team in there in nearly every game. They didn’t even have a sideline kicking net until his senior year and that was provided by a parent. Simply put the AD there didn’t care about sports but Brian was loyal despite several offers to play elsewhere including IMG, St Thomas Aquinas and Vanguard.

...which made him a freshman
I didn't say he wasn't a freshman. k-town said that I said he wasn't a freshman. I said he was a 2nd year player. That makes a difference. A 2nd year guy has had time in the program, had one or two springs, and has worked out with the team through a season and bowl season in JG's case.

To be fair, you must acknowledge that when comparing Maurer as a true Fr and JG as a RS Fr. k-town intentionally did NOT do that in his declaration that JG was better as a Fr.

Nothing about the 2017 Vols was hard to defend. Worst O-line ever.
That OL gave up 5 sacks with QD at QB.... and 30 with JG at QB. They weren't good. But they were made much, much worse by a QB who couldn't process and pull the trigger.

Except when it's slow and the running game sucks too.
Kelly sucked? Who knew? Again, a QB greatly influences the run game. One of the things JG deserves a ton of credit for down the stretch for UT last year was his management of the run game. He did a really, really good job with it. In 2017... he didn't.

Posting like this is exhausting lol. My hat's off to you. I don't see how you do this.
:D Oh come on... it wasn't that bad.

Some people don't like it. I don't want to skip over points and just pick the long hanging fruit when I respond to people. If I'm going to respond then the deserve an answer for things they consider important... and for the harder points to answer.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
He’s definitely a special one. I just can’t stand it when himself and his compadre bring up that argument about BMs division. The kid played in 7-A at a performing arts school vs Orlando competition. And he held that team in there in nearly every game. They didn’t even have a sideline kicking net until his senior year and that was provided by a parent. Simply put the AD there didn’t care about sports but Brian was loyal despite several offers to play elsewhere including IMG, St Thomas Aquinas and Vanguard.
He should have transferred. It would have helped his development to have better teammates and support.

@sjt18 and @1vol8

JG played a national schedule. Its not hard to understand that when you play Top 25 ranked schools they are better than the weakest divisions in Fl. Hell his schedule was tougher than any Fl school not playing Top 25 ranked teams.

A Redshirt freshman is guess what? A freshman.

Yes he always has one record. Most passes without an int. He also has the lowest int rate for any UT qb. He is alos top ten in all UT passing stats.
Jarrett Guarantano - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics
"His 2.02 interception percentage is the lowest in UT history ... He set the Tennessee record for consecutive passes without an interception (166) in 2018."

@sjt18 Why are you bringing up games where he was 51% passing with 2tds and 4ints like those are good games? He was terrible those games as you can see. 51% and a 1 to 2 td to int ratio is horrid. lmao

I didn't say he wasn't a freshman. k-town said that I said he wasn't a freshman. I said he was a 2nd year player. That makes a difference. A 2nd year guy has had time in the program, had one or two springs, and has worked out with the team through a season and bowl season in JG's case.

To be fair, you must acknowledge that when comparing Maurer as a true Fr and JG as a RS Fr. k-town intentionally did NOT do that in his declaration that JG was better as a Fr.

That OL gave up 5 sacks with QD at QB.... and 30 with JG at QB. They weren't good. But they were made much, much worse by a QB who couldn't process and pull the trigger.

Kelly sucked? Who knew? Again, a QB greatly influences the run game. One of the things JG deserves a ton of credit for down the stretch for UT last year was his management of the run game. He did a really, really good job with it. In 2017... he didn't.

:D Oh come on... it wasn't that bad.

Some people don't like it. I don't want to skip over points and just pick the long hanging fruit when I respond to people. If I'm going to respond then the deserve an answer for things they consider important... and for the harder points to answer.
You never acknowledged he was a freshman. They were both freshmen. JG was better. No qualifiers. As freshmen playing qb JG was much, much , much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.

The line was terrible. The wrs were terrible.

Kelly has really been tearing it up in the NFL. after that high draft pick. lol

Kelly was an OK RB behind a really bad o-line. It got serviceable last year, but we were last in the SEC in 2017 and close to it in 2018. The QB definitely matters, but it’s truly a team effort to run it as bad as we have the last 3 years.

He should have transferred. It would have helped his development to have better teammates and support.
Im 50/50. With the way this fan base is treating him I wouldn’t have blamed him a bit. And every qb NEEDS a coach that believes in him. Although something tells me that he wants to “shut us up” his own way and he’s confident in doing so. If he’s denied the opportunity to compete with whoever’s been “chosen” like last year.......there’s a strong possibility that we find ourselves without him in ‘21.

@sjt18 and @1vol8

JG played a national schedule. Its not hard to understand that when you play Top 25 ranked schools they are better than the weakest divisions in Fl. Hell his schedule was tougher than any Fl school not playing Top 25 ranked teams.

A Redshirt freshman is guess what? A freshman.

Yes he always has one record. Most passes without an int. He also has the lowest int rate for any UT qb. He is alos top ten in all UT passing stats.
Jarrett Guarantano - Football - University of Tennessee Athletics
"His 2.02 interception percentage is the lowest in UT history ... He set the Tennessee record for consecutive passes without an interception (166) in 2018."

@sjt18 Why are you bringing up games where he was 51% passing with 2tds and 4ints like those are good games? He was terrible those games as you can see. 51% and a 1 to 2 td to int ratio is horrid. lmao
You need to figure this thing out man. Let me help you. HBs team was ranked something like 10th in the nation when they met up with Edgewater, ranked 73 this past season. Edgewater is a team that’s always been in the same division as Westport (BMs team). No one was expecting the 73rd ranked team to beat the 10th ranked but to only lose by 15 in a 39-24 loss speaks volumes to how “weak” Maurers division actually is/was. That should’ve been a blowout but the speed of the Florida team proved a problem for Merietta. So your theory has already been proven false. Florida is a faster game.

Im 50/50. With the way this fan base is treating him I wouldn’t have blamed him a bit.
I was talking about transferring high schools. If or when to leave UT has to be personal to him. However, if I were in his shoes I would at least stay this season to see if I could take the job. He still has a RS to use if he wants to go. He might also be close to graduating by this time next year expanding his options even more.

And every qb NEEDS a coach that believes in him. Although something tells me that he wants to “shut us up” his own way and he’s confident in doing so. If he’s denied the opportunity to compete with whoever’s been “chosen” like last year.......there’s a strong possibility that we find ourselves without him in ‘21.
My perception is that Chaney likes him. Unlike last year, I think there will be much more of an equal competition this year. They don't seem to have spent the whole off season trying to build JG's psyche up.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back