Who would you start at QB?

Who would you start at QB this season if you were the head coach?

• Jarrett Guarantano

• Harrison Bailey

• Brian Maurer

• JT Shrout

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I picked JG, at least our QB will know the full playbook (if he runs the called plays) which will be some advantage over the opposing teams. I assume after the 1st loss it will go back to QB by committee. I am curious to see the effect of more speed and less catch radius by his receivers. His passes will need to be on time and accurate to be effective. Wow, I'm talking football! Its like riding a bike!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
You never acknowledged he was a freshman. They were both freshmen. JG was better. No qualifiers. As freshmen playing qb JG was much, much , much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.
You are REALLY going to say there shouldn't be a significant advantage for a RS Fr vs a true Fr? Are you really that dishonest?

No. JG was not good that year. A QB that goes 1-6 is not "much, much, much better" than anyone. A QB so slow to get the ball out that they take 30 sacks starting only 7 games after the guy before him took only 5... is not "much, much, much, much better" better than anyone... and especially someone who is decisive, aggressive, and instinctively quick to get the ball out.

You "qualify" stats all the time when they prove you wrong.

I am not saying Maurer is great. I'm saying that YOU aren't honest or using an apples to apples comparison. The best comparison between this "not ready" true Fr and your idol is the games they both played competitive downs in. The freshman in less minutes played led the team to more points and threw for A LOT more yards.

Did he make mistakes? Yes. Aggressive mistakes. You can coach those up.

The line was terrible. The wrs were terrible.
And... the QB was terrible.

I was talking about transferring high schools. If or when to leave UT has to be personal to him. However, if I were in his shoes I would at least stay this season to see if I could take the job. He still has a RS to use if he wants to go. He might also be close to graduating by this time next year expanding his options even more.

My perception is that Chaney likes him. Unlike last year, I think there will be much more of an equal competition this year. They don't seem to have spent the whole off season trying to build JG's psyche up.
Oh my bad. Lol. I thought you were talking UT. He didn’t want to leave his teammates and coach behind. They needed him unlike any other player and he embraced it. Of coarse his coach there was supportive and allowed him to develop.

I know Chaney likes him. So does Weinke. And I hope it’s a fair competition this year but truthfully I don’t expect it. JG gets the nod and the battle will be for the backup spot like last year. But I know he’s confident in his chances vs Bailey.

Staff needs to get HB ready to play as I’m sure they are. If JG is the man he would’ve shown it before now.

This implies he had a problem throwing picks in mop up time.

As for the picks themselves, the MSU ones are very clearly him. The attempt to JJ in double coverage left MC open for a walk in underneath. That's the kind that you can teach an aggressive young QB to avoid. The one vs UGA was an overthrow where he didn't see the S help. Again, something you can correct. The one vs Bama where JJ bobbled then handed the ball off to a DB... isn't on the QB.

The one vs UF was an excellent play by them. The ball was not poorly thrown but their DB recovered and deflected the ball. Another DB made a diving grab. If you get a few of those and a bunch like the TD he threw to JJ vs UGA because your QB is aggressive... then you live with it.
No it doesn’t. You’re reading too much into it. I literally meant what the sentence says. Nothing more nothing less.

Seems fair but by that approach you allow no time for any of them to get settled into the game.
By that time I'm sure it'll be down to two guys emerging from camp.

I just read where some think JG will play the whole game. I dont see any reason for that unless he is just lights out.

Start HB with 20 plays with an option with each one to check out if the defense is stacked against what is called. Build from there.

By that time I'm sure it'll be down to two guys emerging from camp.

I just read where some think JG will play the whole game. I dont see any reason for that unless he is just lights out.
I believe he will if he plays any sort of decent tbh. Pruitt has already proven what he wants in a qb. He wants ”safe”. He wants a successful run game and a game manager qb that won’t turn the ball over.

You never acknowledged he was a freshman. They were both freshmen. JG was better. No qualifiers. As freshmen playing qb JG was much, much , much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.

Kelly has really been tearing it up in the NFL. after that high draft pick. lol
I can’t wait to see your boy jg tearing it up in the NFL. How high will he be drafted? Lol

Kelly has really been tearing it up in the NFL. after that high draft pick. lol
I have to congratulate you. I have seen some whopper lies in my day on internet forums, but this one takes the cake. You might as well have said that day is night and up is down, because your statement carries every bit as much truth as those.

You need to figure this thing out man. Let me help you. HBs team was ranked something like 10th in the nation when they met up with Edgewater, ranked 73 this past season. Edgewater is a team that’s always been in the same division as Westport (BMs team). No one was expecting the 73rd ranked team to beat the 10th ranked but to only lose by 15 in a 39-24 loss speaks volumes to how “weak” Maurers division actually is/was. That should’ve been a blowout but the speed of the Florida team proved a problem for Merietta. So your theory has already been proven false. Florida is a faster game.
Good thing I was talking about Bergen Catholic. Edgewater did not play Westport according to their schedule. So they aren't in the same region anyway. The schools BM played are among thew weakest in FL. You aren't fooling anyone. He didn't play in SF or Duval or something.

Good thing I was talking about Bergen Catholic. Edgewater did not play Westport according to their schedule. So they aren't in the same region anyway. The schools BM played are among thew weakest in FL. You aren't fooling anyone. He didn't play in SF or Duval or something.
Wrong again. Like I said, Edgewater WAS in Brian’s division until last year when they realigned and Westport became an 8-A school. However HE played Edgewater every year.

And little do you know he could easily have been coming from IMG, St Thomas Aquinas or Vanguard. His loyalty to his teammates and school were more important to him than another star or higher rank. Sometimes digging a little deeper than the surface is beneficial to finding the actual truth.

Attachments

• CC5E2071-51EA-4344-92A1-74A88DCA1FFD.png
    CC5E2071-51EA-4344-92A1-74A88DCA1FFD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • F898953F-53C9-4905-AD3C-2502E080A586.png
    F898953F-53C9-4905-AD3C-2502E080A586.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 7BBC522B-EF68-429F-94AE-53344124945C.png
    7BBC522B-EF68-429F-94AE-53344124945C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
And btw.... try and keep up. The focal point was simply that “weak” in FLORIDA is stronger than you give it credit for. Once again, it’s a geographical thing that’s only obvious when you think about it. The most NFL talent by state in the nation condensed into a smaller land mass = more competitive/faster football. The result is a weak team from Florida can compete with the top team from Georgia which was proven as early as last year.

And maybe I should add that Edgewater also isn’t even the best team in that division. The division champs was actually Hagerty.

Last edited:
That’s why it’s good to see ya! The covid thing makes you happy to see a familiar face that you haven’t seen in a while. That’s all.

I like JG and think he has all the skills needed to play at this level if he gets out of his own way. That being said I have no idea how he earned the rank he did out of Hs. Nor the DT label for that matter. That alone should tell us all how much we SHOULD trust the services.
Agreed.

My view is COVID19 killed spring practice, so no growth opportunity with the playbook or under center for all new QBs. So they're out of the picture for at least half the season, or barring some miracle performance. That leaves the same 3. CJP said JG gave us the best chance to win......he was the better QB. I didn't hear anything yet that has changed his mind. As such I see this starting the way it ended.......JG starts, does his thing, BM/JTS spells him, and he makes a comeback. Wash, rinse, repeat. I just don't like that recipe against the big 4.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the skill levels at all other positions become very high and competitive. That the weakest position, holding us back, will be QB. At some point the QB skill position will have to match, or preferably exceed, those around it. We definitely need more consistency and production here for sure.

Start Jimmy Holliday, and run the option like Nebraska did back in the 90's.
He could be a Tommy Fraizer??:oops:

Eric Gray as Ahman Green and Ty Chandler as Lawrence Phillips. :cool:

I chose JG, because I feel like its asking too much for a true freshman to run this offense. For example, Brian Mauer, 2tds, 5 ints, and three injuries.
Our defense is good. But not good enough to recover from turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottyP5

VN Store

Back