Woe is us!

Based on the past 11 years, a span that has had UT at its lowest point in program history, the article is not far off. Memories can be short though, if Pruitt puts up an 8-4 record with a bowl win this season, and comes back with a 10 win season next year, then UT will be charging back into elite status. However, if UT continues to lose consistently to Florida, GA, Bama and Vandy, then it wont matter how many non conference wins Pruitt racks up.....

Last edited:
If he had used the term "foreseeable future", I might concede him as having a point, but "never"? That brands him a troll and having nothing worth reading. Perhaps he can remember where mighty Bama was before Saban, or recall LSU's twenty years in the wilderness, or pull out a history of Georgia after Dooley hung it up. I won't even mention Florida before Spurrier. No, Tennessee isn't going the way of Sewanee or Tulane regardless of this hack's wet dreams.

10 years ago would you have ever thought Clemson would become the powerhouse they are?

Also took the luckiest hire of the century too.

I’m not saying it can’t happen. But each year that goes by where Tennessee doesn’t do anything meaningful is another year further away from being relevant. If Pruitt isn’t the guy the cycle continues again.

Tough to say for sure but hiring Coach Frost was a big step in the right direction.

He was a good hire. I actually like Pruitt. I’d be shocked if either wins a conference title in five years.

Also took the luckiest hire of the century too.

I’m not saying it can’t happen. But each year that goes by where Tennessee doesn’t do anything meaningful is another year further away from being relevant. If Pruitt isn’t the guy the cycle continues again.
Hard to argue

I guess he's never heard of the Chicago Cubs or the Boston Red Sox. They came back. It just took a little time.

Pro sports are different. You have the draft and free agency and trades.

Other nuggets of football knowledge from Matt Hayes...

Matt Hayes Names Willie Taggart No. 1 Coaching Hire

1. Willie Taggart, USF: For some reason, four SEC schools bypassed a young, dynamic winner in their own backyard. It will cost them twice as much the next time around to get this Jim Harbaugh clone.
2. Gary Andersen, Wisconsin: As long as King Barry keeps the meathooks off, Andersen will thrive in Madtown.
3. Bret Bielema, Arkansas: Built his reputation on exactly what Hogs want/need to compete in SEC West Division: run the ball, play physical.
4. Butch Jones, Tennessee: Attention Vols fans: you’re trading two guys with career losing records before they stepped on campus (Kiffin, Dooley), for a guy who has won everywhere he has coached. Stop whining/pining for Gruden.
5. Sonny Dykes, California: Will fit in perfectly in Berkeley; his funky, pass-happy offense causing headaches all over the defensively-challenged Pac-12.”

Hard to argue

Let’s think about this. I’ve been on this board since July 2008. I remember after Fulmer was fired and Kiffin was brought in that “people get your shots at UT now” and “We will dominate and be back in no time.” That’s been ten years and it’s gotten A LOT worse

I guess he's never heard of the Chicago Cubs or the Boston Red Sox. They came back. It just took a little time.
over 100 years ???
1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

I'm not convinced Pruitt is the answer, but I'm hoping. If he's not, there will someone who is. The trick is having an A.D. who's smart enough to hire him. God knows that Hamilton wasn't that man.

If he had used the term "foreseeable future", I might concede him as having a point, but "never"? That brands him a troll and having nothing worth reading. Perhaps he can remember where mighty Bama was before Saban, or recall LSU's twenty years in the wilderness, or pull out a history of Georgia after Dooley hung it up. I won't even mention Florida before Spurrier. No, Tennessee isn't going the way of Sewanee or Tulane regardless of this hack's wet dreams.

Exactly, if Clemson, Washington, and Penn State can return to their former glory there's no reason we can't do the same.

He was a good hire. I actually like Pruitt. I’d be shocked if either wins a conference title in five years.

Pruitt would have to be recruiting on the level of Bama, UGA, and LSU for that to be possible. UT needs to crack the top ten this year IMO.

Pruitt would have to be recruiting on the level of Bama, UGA, and LSU for that to be possible. UT needs to crack the top ten this year IMO.

You’re 100% right, that’s completely true. But we gotta develop so much better than we have the last 20 years. Butch brought in back to back top 10 classes and everyone thought those would pan out and they didn’t.

You’re 100% right, that’s completely true. But we gotta develop so much better than we have the last 20 years. Butch brought in back to back top 10 classes and everyone thought those would pan out and they didn’t.
Truth! Lots of defections by those highly regarded classes too. I think if CJP and CO. can continue to land the big fish, we have the position coaches to develop players.

Reactions: 08Vol
Based on the past 11 years, a span that has had UT at its lowest point in program history, the article is not far off. Memories can be short though, if Pruitt puts up an 8-4 win season with a bowl win this season, and comes back with a 10 win season next year, then UT will be charging back into elite status. However, if UT continues to lose consistently to Florida, GA, Bama and Vandy, then it wont matter how many non conference wins Pruitt racks up.....
Lots of good/great programs have had their dry spells but bottom line is a program must get the HC hire right. Time will tell.

If anyone, and I mean anyone believes one ounce of this BS, you do not know college football, I can list many a storied programs that have gone through similar stretches........one of which was Bama, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, Miami, The Irish etc. etc. Matt Hayes has just lost any credit-ability that might have existed. Tennessee is an elite program that experienced a 10 year nightmare and even that has barely made a dent in UT standings among the elites throughout College Football History. UT still managed to beat some very good teams at OUR WORSE, what the he__ do think is going to happen when CJP has re-engineered this program? I will be one of the first to email this bozo.

Go Vols!!

If anyone, and I mean anyone believes one ounce of this BS, you do not know college football, I can list many a storied programs that have gone through similar stretches........one of which was Bama, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, Miami, The Irish etc. etc. Matt Hayes has just lost any credit-ability that might have existed. Tennessee is an elite program that experienced a 10 year nightmare and even that has barely made a dent in UT standings among the elites throughout College Football History. UT still managed to beat some very good teams at OUR WORSE, what the he__ do think is going to happen when CJP has re-engineered this program? I will be one of the first to email this bozo.

Go Vols!!

Did any of those schools have a 20 year gap in conference titles?

He’s probably right. Any of you think Nebraska is going to win national titles any time soon?

Comm'on don't be so naive, There are plenty of teams like Nebraska that have slid and came back, 10 years ago, Clemson was a homecoming game for most Div I teams.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back