Woe is us!

Comm'on don't be so naive, There are plenty of teams like Nebraska that have slid and came back, 10 years ago, Clemson was a homecoming game for most Div I teams.

Again any of them have a 20 year gap between conference titles?

Well post Fulmer, every coach UT hired turned out to be sh1tty (not including CJP). I am only counting 2008-present as our rough stretch though.

Right and each hire we’ve made gets a worse resume. That’s part of the issue. The further we stray from the 90’s, the less attractive this job gets.

Did any of those schools have a 20 year gap in conference titles?

Yes and more, how many teams have actually won the NC in the past 100 years as a % of total football teams? Bama is having their time, they hired a coach and they placed the expense right on the students and tax payers and signed that agreement in blood. Their days are coming, you can not maintain this type of run forever, every team in the Nation will be hacking on them like nobody's business, and UT Fans will probably be relentless when it comes to handing out digs. Whatever goes around comes around.

Go Vols

Other nuggets of football knowledge from Matt Hayes...

Matt Hayes Names Willie Taggart No. 1 Coaching Hire

1. Willie Taggart, USF: For some reason, four SEC schools bypassed a young, dynamic winner in their own backyard. It will cost them twice as much the next time around to get this Jim Harbaugh clone.
2. Gary Andersen, Wisconsin: As long as King Barry keeps the meathooks off, Andersen will thrive in Madtown.
3. Bret Bielema, Arkansas: Built his reputation on exactly what Hogs want/need to compete in SEC West Division: run the ball, play physical.
4. Butch Jones, Tennessee: Attention Vols fans: you’re trading two guys with career losing records before they stepped on campus (Kiffin, Dooley), for a guy who has won everywhere he has coached. Stop whining/pining for Gruden.
5. Sonny Dykes, California: Will fit in perfectly in Berkeley; his funky, pass-happy offense causing headaches all over the defensively-challenged Pac-12.”

Says enough about this documented dumb ass!

Reactions: peaygolf
At some point, it's not the coaches. UTK had/has systemic issues going back to the late Fulmer era. Maybe that stuff has been fixed, maybe not. I've heard people say it was fixed before and hindsight proved it untrue. You have to have total buy in with everyone behind championship football. If professors don't get raises because we need more analysts, too bad for the professors. If some humanities majors have to be cut so there can be a new athletic dorm, so be it. The head football coach has to be the most powerful person on campus. That's the kind of support you have to give if you want to get back on top. I think UT leadership wants to win but I suspect that they think they can still have their cake too. You can't have both unless it's winning football first. Otherwise, the politics and financial demands of the rest of the university will run you dry of energy and cash.

I can pretty much guarantee they were writing the same type of thing about Clemson. They were irrelevant for a long time. And now?

Reactions: dduncan4163
In 2016 Butch Jones had us 5-0 heading to College Station. With that in mind, there is no limit to what a real football coach like JP can do.

I like our chances.

Apparently the writer didn’t listen to anything else he has said. Like holding himself accountable for the under performance of last year’s team.

Yeah, there’s a learning curve, from what I can tell he is actually learning rather than bowing up against the obvious changes needed.

The analogy between Nebraska and Tennessee is pretty far-fetched. Tennessee is a growing state. Nebraska is losing population by the bushel. Like it or not, big time college football is a game of eyeballs. Tennessee has them; Nebraska is losing them. Cornstalks don't buy tickets or fill seats.

He got 1 thing right

The Vols are 29th in the 247Sports composite recruiting rankings for the 2020 class and sit behind 10 other SEC teams. That's not getting you to Atlanta and the SEC Championship Game for the first time since 2007; that's placing you at the end of a growing list of coaches who couldn't figure it out

Everyone always points to lack of in state talent as basis for longevity, though UT has historically recruited nationally...but everyone is recruiting nationally now. So, if it becomes an in state conversation about the "core", taking out GA and FL, using 4*'s as barometer, for 2018, 2019, 2020 numbers of 4* and above, Tennessee is a little behind Louisiana, a little ahead of Alabama (which, in theory, should be fractured some b/c of Bama/Auburn), and certainly way ahead of SC. It's all about if we have the right coaches and can they recruit, and do we have staff continuity. I think we check the boxes on all these. LSU, for example is a cult inside state lines, and we'll build that back too when we start winning. I'd put UT fan support on par w/ LSU, certainly.

When the sleeping giant awakens, people are gonna know we're back in the game. Writer doesn't know that the UT brand is strong, and this season is KEY. We go 7-9 wins, and we can start expecting a faster elevation. 6 wins or less, and recruits/fans are holding back, wondering "what do we have...Majors in a longer re-build, or a guy who sounds/acts alot different than Dooley/Jones, but record on the field is too similar."

The same thing was said about Bama and UGA, when UT and Florida were woodshedding the entire conference. How did that go? Hmmmm?

I just had it pop up in my Google feed. Without a doubt one of the most garbage articles I've read in some time. Matt Jones must be writing under a pen name

MATT JONES. The easiest "Sportswriter" to hate. He is so full of crap. And arrogant with no reason. His mama didn't slap him enough, or any. So glad when UK tanks this season, just for His sake.

Reactions: dduncan4163
I started scratching my head when the writer started jocking Dan Mullen of all people as "the answer to UT football". Take a wild guess where Matt Hayes lives....Orlando. Also he graduated from the UF college of Journalism.

Reactions: Type Orange+
I'm pretty sure people thought Alabama would never be good again.
It took decades of mediocrity until FL hired a HOF coach and put them on the map. I think Auburn and TaM and maybe LSU are really one bad season away from turmoil...If Gus goes 7-5 again, the "buy him out" crowd starts circlig... TaM didn't hire Jimbo to a crazy contract to keep losing to Bama...folks like Coach O's down home Louisiana personality as long as he's winning, but his first two full years of success at LSU don't look a whole lot different than the guy they fired. All of these teams hired their current coach to win titles NOW...bumping along at 9-10 wins will keep your job, but have a 7 win season, and it'll get interesting. And, while we're at it, the way "fake punt" Smart botched the Bama game, if they slide and lose a game or two they're not supposed to, he starts looking more like Richt 2.0 than Sabanesque.

We're building...it takes time. I think we're going in the right direction.

When somebody starts by knocking academic success...like it’s something embarrassing...I just shake my head.

1. It is COLLEGE football; and
2. Strong academic performance and strong athletic performance do not have to be mutually exclusive.

I think the proper goal is to be good at both.

Right and each hire we’ve made gets a worse resume. That’s part of the issue. The further we stray from the 90’s, the less attractive this job gets.

I mean we were beating Georgia with Butch Jones and they are in talk to win a Natty this year and years to come.

The thing that turns programs around is culture and Pruitt and Staff have brought that. This team will be good and I expect us to win a lot of games in the future.

VN Store

Back