Woe is us!

Given the post-Fulmer coach hiring timidity, blatant fiscal mismanagement, and AD ineptitude; perhaps fueled by rich donor mis-influence, I can see why this guy said this. The only solution is to first clean administration house, policy, dilute or eliminate donor influence, and put an AD in place who unwaveringly acts in the best interests of the athlete program. I think we have done most of that. However, fans must understand that we've been in free fall for a long time without a parachute and hit the ground at full force. Getting off the ground and climbing back the cliff we jumped from without safety gear and equipment, all while our opponents pour boiling oil down that cliff, requires persistence and patience. Otherwise, we will continue to slip back down and never reach the top.

He’s probably right. Any of you think Nebraska is going to win national titles any time soon?
He didn't say "any time soon". He said "Never". That is a long time. A person should be more careful about speaking in absolute terms. Tennessee has the resources necessary to be elite again. It's just a matter of having the right coach in place. Is Pruitt the guy? Way too soon to know... but even if Pruitt fails and Pruitt's replacement fails... and the replacement's replacement fails... Does that mean we will NEVER be elite again? Of course not. Once again, NEVER is a long time.

Reactions: Alto1
I mean we were beating Georgia with Butch Jones and they are in talk to win a Natty this year and years to come.

The thing that turns programs around is culture and Pruitt and Staff have brought that. This team will be good and I expect us to win a lot of games in the future.
The thing that turns programs around are great coaches and great recruiting; you can have a great hc and win more than you lose. You can have great recruiting and win more than you lose. But without both, you're just spinning your wheels; gotta have both to compete at the highest level. Like Mullen at MSU; he took them as far as any coach ever has or ever will, simply because it's next to impossible to attract top talent to Starkville... anybody who's attended a game there will know immediately why they are historically the SEC's doormat.

Bing. Tennessee will never be good again.

I can't wait for some elite school to hire a loser coach and then find themselves in the same bucket in 3-5 years. Oh wait USC, Miami and FSU already have. ND had their bust hire Jerry Faust at a time when they were at peak too.

Elite schools will bounce back when the right coaches and administration get their sheet together.

Tennessee is on its' way back to the top.

The Big 10 East is arguably the best P5 division.

It's good but if you put 1 vs 1, .... 7 vs 7, the SECwest would win about 5 of the 7 contests and the SECeast would win at least 4.

GA, AL > OSU
FL, LSU = Mich
AU > PSU
Mizzou = PSU
aTm > MichSt
SCAR = Michst
TN, MissSt > Mary
KY, Ole Miss > Ind
Vandy, Arky > Rutgers

Last edited:
Reactions: checkerboards09
I can't wait for some elite school to hire a loser coach and then find themselves in the same bucket in 3-5 years. Oh wait USC, Miami and FSU already have. ND had their bust hire Jerry Faust at a time when they were at peak too.

Elite schools will bounce back when the right coaches and administration get their sheet together.

Tennessee is on its' way back to the top.
Things can change quickly with the right hire. Nobody doubts that. Also, I love how that guy talks about our current recruiting standing, in July... but didn't mention that Pruitt signed the #12 class for 2019. Players such as Henry To'oto'o, Darnell Wright, Wanya Morris and Quevaris Crouch are not from the state of Tennessee, nor are they legacies. Everybody wanted them and they picked Tennessee despite having no ties to this state. We are capable of recruiting at an elite level. That column was being as negative as possible without telling the whole story.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
The ONLY reason that UT would never be great again would be because of UT. Ive said for the LONGEST time now that the only thing keeping us down is a lack of committment from the UT leadership.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
These farticles make me laugh. The stuff about the coaching search was purely subjective. You could claim we had those coaches on the hook just as easily as you could claim they had zero interest. The rest of the article is pure clickbait. Will UT ever be elite again? Who the he!! knows. This is a darker period for sure but that’s about all anyone can say.

These farticles make me laugh. The stuff about the coaching search was purely subjective. You could claim we had those coaches on the hook just as easily as you could claim they had zero interest. The rest of the article is pure clickbait. Will UT ever be elite again? Who the he!! knows. This is a darker period for sure but that’s about all anyone can say.
There was no internet in 1988 while we were 0-6 and getting blown off the field by the likes of Washington State, but if there had been, I'm sure some short-sighted idiot would have said similar things: Not a strong enough recruiting base, the landscape of college football has changed, your opponents have too much of an advantage in recruiting against the lack of cultural diversity in east Tenn, etc... It took the right hire and ten years from that 0-6 start.

I’m not saying Tennessee is Alabama but they were saying the same things about Alabama. They talked about how unrealistic their fans are blah blah blah then Nick Savanah cane along. They said the same things about Georgia, Clemson etc, but when the right coach comes along everything can change. I really believe in CJP. I think things start to turn this year and next. Tennessee will be back one day I guarantee it!!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I just had it pop up in my Google feed. Without a doubt one of the most garbage articles I've read in some time. Matt Jones must be writing under a pen name

How are you holding up these days my friend?I know you have had a difficult year. Hope you are finding peace and things are slowly getting better. Think of you and your family often when I see one of your posts.

Tough to say for sure but hiring Coach Frost was a big step in the right direction.

They are out in the middle of a corn field. Unless 4-5 star recruits come walking out of the corn stalks like in Field of Dreams, I don’t see NE having as good a recruiting base as TN. Ours isn’t the best but still better than NE’s. Not sure they will have the national presence they usd to have. At least we have middle, west TN, parts of GA, NC, SC that are still a possibility.

Based on the past 11 years, a span that has had UT at its lowest point in program history, the article is not far off. Memories can be short though, if Pruitt puts up an 8-4 record with a bowl win this season, and comes back with a 10 win season next year, then UT will be charging back into elite status. However, if UT continues to lose consistently to Florida, GA, Bama and Vandy, then it wont matter how many non conference wins Pruitt racks up.....

I know that I have witnessed some losing seasons over the past 11 years but seeing that 7 out of 11 stat really reminds me of how far we have fallen. Would anyone have dreamed this would be our future in the early 2000s?

Is 20 years a dry spell or a trend though?

Come on, it hasn’t been 20 years. We had solid seasons after the natty from 99-07 excluding 05 and maybe 02. They weren’t our Best seasons but nothing like the 11 year stretch.

Come on, it hasn’t been 20 years. We had solid seasons after the natty from 99-07 excluding 05 and maybe 02. They weren’t our Best seasons but nothing like the 11 year stretch.

When’s the last time we the SEC championship?

We haven’t been in the National picture in November since 2001. That’s 18 years

It's good but if you put 1 vs 1, .... 7 vs 7, the SECwest would win about 5 of the 7 contests and the SECeast would win at least 4.

GA, AL > OSU
FL, LSU = Mich
AU > PSU
Mizzou = PSU
aTm > MichSt
SCAR = Michst
TN, MissSt > Mary
KY, Ole Miss > Ind
Vandy, Arky > Rutgers

The big 10 is a joke. If any of their teams played in the SEC they would never get to the top 4 playoff. Even OSU and Mich would struggle to not finish with 3-4 losses each year.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
When’s the last time we the SEC championship?

We haven’t been in the National picture in November since 2001. That’s 18 years

We’ll I’m actually glad you have set your standards do high. I like it. Was just trying to say that winning 9-10 games and making a few sec championships wasn’t so terrible that most of us felt like we had completely fallen off the map. Comparing the first 10 years vs the last 10 years since 98 is night and day.

VN Store

Back