Woe is us!

The highly ranked classes had numerous defections and a staff that was poor at player development. The classes were worthy of the rankings but they had to deal with coaching malpractice and poor S&C.

Disagree with the classes being worthy of the ranking. The only reason they were that high is because of numbers.

I have repeatedly said this. About, and I say, ABOUT, the only way we go back to what we had and were two decades ago is if and when all of the other SEC teams/schools start/begin to have coaching problems and we do not!

That is how it was in the late 80's and into the 90's. LSU should have and should always be a power house with all of that instate talent. BAMA and Florida as well as GA. It took several coaching foul up's down in Bama, a couple Gerry Dinardo's at LSU, Dooley retiring at Georgia and Florida getting put on major probation for us to be on top. Even when Bama was on probation and their program crippled, coupled with mediocre coaching, they still were not run-overs with the exception of one year. Add in Pat Dye retiring and Auburns probation and mess. For us to be back into the relevancy again, we need that to happen all over again.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I like tenn football, but lets face it, tenn will never win another NC in this century. Pruitt may win a few more games and stun someone like BYU however it wont be a cake walk just because he recruits a few colorful names. Over 20 yrs is quite embarrassing. Florida is the one that has the better chance to overcome Georgia.

The main issue with Tennessee football has been poor leadership and continuously hiring mediocre coaches.

We’ve always been our own worst enemy when it comes to competing with the other top programs in the country.

Is it an attractive job in the 90s? Most likely. Is it an attractive job now? Most definitely not.

Great coaches are not going to want to come into a situation where it takes 4-5 years to get the roster completely turned around. Too much damage has already been done and Butch put the final nail in the coffin when he set a record for not winning an single SEC game in Tennessee history.

I don’t like it but it’s the sad truth.

Matt Hayes will never be a relevant journalist. The reason for that is his article didn't report what UT is still relevant at, producing revenue.
Relevant journalist don't schill for click bait in hopes of getting paid.

UT is still a money maker.

15 odd years ago I thought we were sure to return to relevance sooner than later due to our revenue. I was wrong about that but I believe the reverse holds true. As long as we're still a cash cow we got skin in the game.

If Butch can luck into a legacy class, have us ranked in the top 10, playing the CBS nationally televised 2:30 spot 4games in a row just 3years ago then its ascinine to write a bull$h!t hit piece like he did.

I have repeatedly said this. About, and I say, ABOUT, the only way we go back to what we had and were two decades ago is if and when all of the other SEC teams/schools start/begin to have coaching problems and we do not!

That is how it was in the late 80's and into the 90's. LSU should have and should always be a power house with all of that instate talent. BAMA and Florida as well as GA. It took several coaching foul up's down in Bama, a couple Gerry Dinardo's at LSU, Dooley retiring at Georgia and Florida getting put on major probation for us to be on top. Even when Bama was on probation and their program crippled, coupled with mediocre coaching, they still were not run-overs with the exception of one year. Add in Pat Dye retiring and Auburns probation and mess. For us to be back into the relevancy again, we need that to happen all over again.
You do realize that we won a national championship, as in we had to beat other teams outside the SEC, including an FSU team that had several soon-to-be NFL stars? It's not like we backed into everything with a bunch of scrubs. For a while we were a very, very good football team. When we recruit at that level again, we can get back to winning at that level again.

Reactions: LittleVol
You do realize that we won a national championship, as in we had to beat other teams outside the SEC, including an FSU team that had several soon-to-be NFL stars? It's not like we backed into everything with a bunch of scrubs. For a while we were a very, very good football team. When we recruit at that level again, we can get back to winning at that level again.
What string QB was FSU starting that game?

Reactions: Boca Vol
The main issue with Tennessee football has been poor leadership and continuously hiring mediocre coaches.

We’ve always been our own worst enemy when it comes to competing with the other top programs in the country.

Is it an attractive job in the 90s? Most likely. Is it an attractive job now? Most definitely not.

Great coaches are not going to want to come into a situation where it takes 4-5 years to get the roster completely turned around. Too much damage has already been done and Butch put the final nail in the coffin when he set a record for not winning an single SEC game in Tennessee history.

I don’t like it but it’s the sad truth.
I think this is dumb. It was an attractive job in the 90's and it's an attractive job now. It has just gotten a lot more difficult to poach established head coaches away from other power 5 programs. Everyone has a big budget now and pays big bucks to keep their head coach. You are talking like it's possible to just throw a bunch of money at the problem and fix it. Doesn't work that way any more. Georgia's last two hires were both coordinators. Florida's last three hires were a DC from Texas and then head coaches from Colorado State and Mississippi State. LSU just promoted a coordinator who had previously failed at Ole Miss. South Carolina just hired a DC who had failed at Florida. Arkansas hired a guy from SMU... none of these were splash hires unless you want to count Mullen - and I don't.

Excuse me? Florida was off probation by 1991 and they won the SEC in '91, and went to the Sugar Bowl.... They won the National Championship in 1996. They were at full strength and very good. They had one of the best coaches ever, in his prime. Probation in no way explains why we beat them in 1998. Your post is very ignorant and it looks like you are trying to disparage an era in Tennessee football when we were recruiting as well as anyone and putting as many players in the NFL as anyone. That is unfair to the men who made that happen (Fulmer, Cutcliffe, Chavis and Doug Dickey).... not to mention being complete and utter bull $hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: lifeisdeep
What string QB was FSU starting that game?
Marcus Outzen was the same QB who had started for Florida State when they beat Florida in the last game of the regular season. If you think that diminishes Tennessee's victory in the Fiesta Bowl or the National Championship - it doesn't. 13-0 is not backing into anything. That is called running the table. Injuries and overcoming them are a part of the game... For the record, Tennessee played most of that season without their best RB and leading rusher. Jamal Lewis would have had 300 yards vs Arkansas based on what Travis Henry did to them.

It's definitely a trend... but was Clemson football a National Championship contender from 1992 - 2011? They lost at least 3 games in every one of those 20 seasons and lost at least 5 games in 13 out of those 20 seasons. They even had a 3-8 season in 1998... and that was in a much worse conference than the SEC in those years. With the right hire, things can change. Saying that Tennessee will NEVER be elite again (as that column did) is short-sighted and kind of silly.

Clemson hit the lotto in Dabo and it's greatly helped that Miami and FSU are down. We can all think of a bunch of scenarios where team A had this happen and look at them now but the truth is UT has zero advantage over other schools as far as facilities and resources. Tons of schools has those now. Florida, Georgia and Texas are where the most elite recruits are and geographically we're at a disadvantage with Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU TAMU, etc. Can we get a championship every few decades? Possibly. Be in the hunt consistently? Very unlikely.

The game has changed. It isn't the 50s anymore. Winning one championship in 50 years doesn't really make one think elite anyway. Hell Georgia tech has done that in the modern era and honestly our record isn't very good since integration. It is what it is

Clemson hit the lotto in Dabo and it's greatly helped that Miami and FSU are down. We can all think of a bunch of scenarios where team A had this happen and look at them now but the truth is UT has zero advantage over other schools as far as facilities and resources. Tons of schools has those now. Florida, Georgia and Texas are where the most elite recruits are and geographically we're at a disadvantage with Georgia, Florida, Alabama, LSU TAMU, etc. Can we get a championship every few decades? Possibly. Be in the hunt consistently? Very unlikely.

The game has changed. It isn't the 50s anymore. Winning one championship in 50 years doesn't really make one think elite anyway. Hell Georgia tech has done that in the modern era and honestly our record isn't very good since integration. It is what it is
I STRONGLY disagree. Tennessee has the resources necessary to consistently compete. There are enough SEC prospects within a 250 mile radius of Knoxville to recruit from and middle Tennessee is continuing to grow. Your base doesn't end at your border.. and for God's sake, there are not "tons" of schools with facilities as nice as Tennessee's. You might have a grand total of 12 others (now, granted 6 of them are in the SEC). As an assistant here for one season, Ed Orgeron said the same thing. It is a myth that Tennessee doesn't have a base to recruit from. They just need to reestablish credibility... but there is nothing holding Tennessee back that can't be overcome.

And by the definition of your last paragraph, then Georgia is not elite either... except that you just implied in the first paragraph that they were? Georgia has won only one championship in the last 50 years. And it is total crap that our record hasn't been good since integration.... From 1989-2004, Tennessee was an elite program. They won at least 10 games 6 times during 11 game regular seasons... do facts mean anything here?

Last edited:
Only time will tell if the Vols can ever become relevant once again, I sometimes question myself if they will ever get back to what they once used to be.......the jury is still out on the future of the Vols, but Vol fans have little patience left after droping 3 in a row to Vandy.........sad times for our beloved Vols, no doubt
Still, Go Vols

I like tenn football, but lets face it, tenn will never win another NC in this century. Pruitt may win a few more games and stun someone like BYU however it wont be a cake walk just because he recruits a few colorful names. Over 20 yrs is quite embarrassing. Florida is the one that has the better chance to overcome Georgia.

Well, aren’t you a real...

Nailed it

VN Store

Back