Woe is us!

There are about 20 programs in college football than can become dominant with the right coach. Tennessee is still one of them. Unfortunately, there are about 8 others in our league. To say it can't be Tennessee is almost as dumb as the (now disproven) idea that there are natural rhythms in college football and that Tennessee would definitely be back because they're Tennessee. It takes the RIGHT people to do it. Jury is still out on Pruitt obviously, but there are reasons to be both optimistic and pessimistic.

All that said, we won't always necessarily be one of those 20 programs. Georgia Tech lost that right. Syracuse lost that right. A long time ago, Minnesota lost that right. Tennessee can lose it too.

Reactions: rockydoc
Other nuggets of football knowledge from Matt Hayes...

Matt Hayes Names Willie Taggart No. 1 Coaching Hire

1. Willie Taggart, USF: For some reason, four SEC schools bypassed a young, dynamic winner in their own backyard. It will cost them twice as much the next time around to get this Jim Harbaugh clone.
2. Gary Andersen, Wisconsin: As long as King Barry keeps the meathooks off, Andersen will thrive in Madtown.
3. Bret Bielema, Arkansas: Built his reputation on exactly what Hogs want/need to compete in SEC West Division: run the ball, play physical.
4. Butch Jones, Tennessee: Attention Vols fans: you’re trading two guys with career losing records before they stepped on campus (Kiffin, Dooley), for a guy who has won everywhere he has coached. Stop whining/pining for Gruden.
5. Sonny Dykes, California: Will fit in perfectly in Berkeley; his funky, pass-happy offense causing headaches all over the defensively-challenged Pac-12.”

He might have been right about Willie Taggart being a Jim Harbaugh clone.

Reactions: dduncan4163
They are out in the middle of a corn field. Unless 4-5 star recruits come walking out of the corn stalks like in Field of Dreams, I don’t see NE having as good a recruiting base as TN. Ours isn’t the best but still better than NE’s. Not sure they will have the national presence they usd to have. At least we have middle, west TN, parts of GA, NC, SC that are still a possibility.
Blue blood programs like Nebraska do not stay down forever. True Nebraska does not have a tremendous amount of in state talent but schools like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, UT etc. do not either. All of these programs have to recruit nationally to be successful.

I don't know that I agree with him except that he is right about the recruiting. Being 10th in the SEC will get us nowhere.

Sure hope it picks up soon, it is really not that far until Dec. Top schools have 15-20 commits, we have 11.

Reactions: 508mikey
Are calling McSorely elite?
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Can you actually post words instead of internet pics? Or do you not have a rational idea to post? I asked you who were Penn St. and Washington’s elite QBs you claim are needed for a return to glory and you can’t seem to post a legible reply.
giphy.gif

I think..Washington has a 5* QB. I could be wrong.

He makes a lot of valid points, but the one he fails to elaborate upon and which is more important than any he makes is that Tennessee doesn't produce professional football players. Potential NFL talent isn't going to take a chance coming here and lessen their chances at making a living playing football.

With this considered, I too doubt UT will ever turn it around.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I've seen this written somewhere before. Should you give credit?
If you meant to say should we give you credit, I could care less. The fact is, this is what you call abusing the press to contribute to negative recruiting. It certainly isn’t journalism. The guy should be fired.

giphy.gif

I think..Washington has a 5* QB. I could be wrong.

The question wasn’t their star ranking, but are they elite (your word). Browning was pretty good last year, but hardly elite. 16 TDs and 10 INTs in a league that doesn’t really play a lot of defense. Would take JG any day over him. But I’m sure you disagree, Pooh Bear

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
The question wasn’t their star ranking, but are they elite (your word). Browning was pretty good last year, but hardly elite. 16 TDs and 10 INTs in a league that doesn’t really play a lot of defense. Would take JG any day over him. But I’m sure you disagree, Pooh Bear
Lol. Any QB is "elite" compared to JG and his 0.8 TD per game career production.

'Never' is a term that should only be applied to Vanderbilt. Otherwise the user brands himself an imbecile.

You’re 100% right, that’s completely true. But we gotta develop so much better than we have the last 20 years. Butch brought in back to back top 10 classes and everyone thought those would pan out and they didn’t.

Those top 10 classes were a fraud. The only reason they were top 10 were on sheer numbers alone. Botch brought in 61 players in 2 years. If Pruitt could do that, he would be getting top 10 classes. If Botch would have been stuck with the 25 limit like Pruitt, he probably would have barely been top 20 every year.

Those top 10 classes were a fraud. The only reason they were top 10 were on sheer numbers alone. Botch brought in 61 players in 2 years. If Pruitt could do that, he would be getting top 10 classes. If Botch would have been stuck with the 25 limit like Pruitt, he probably would have barely been top 20 every year.

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure even the averages worked out to top 10.

The highly ranked classes had numerous defections and a staff that was poor at player development. The classes were worthy of the rankings but they had to deal with coaching malpractice and poor S&C.

VN Store

Back