Doug Mathews "Big Orange Sunday" takeaways

ptcarter

Boomshanka! (Google that)
Pretty good show this morning. You may not know Doug's background - assistant coach and shared office with Fulmer for 10 years. Fulmer and he have a Saturday radio show called "coach to coach". Bottom line - He knows Fulmer as a friend and colleague.

Having said that - Doug's information coming from the Hill is going to be a little more accurate.

Some points he made this morning:

• No way Kiffin ever coming back here with Fulmer as AD
  • Fulmer didn't sign on for just a 2 year deal. He has the job as long as he wants it.
  • No rift between Fulmer and Manning
  • Fulmer has most likey (100% chance) has talked to every recruit.

The question of Tee came up. Doug said "Phillip knows what he wants and if he will hire the best candidate." Mentioned Chavis and Steele in that conversation. If not, they will most likely get a call anyway just to get their input.

He also put some myths to bed. One misconception I had, Neyland was hired to beat Vanderbilt. Not true - he came in as an assistant and needed a ROTC program to be a part of. UT and another school had a ROTC opening and fortunately he chose UT.

Reactions: 29 people
Also thinks whoever he hires will use a system that goes under center and uses two tightend sets. Power football, not razzle dazzle hocus pocus. More pro style sets. Look more like the Tennessee of the past.

Reactions: 22 people
Also thinks whoever he hires will use a system that goes under center and uses two tightend sets. Power football, not razzle dazzle hocus pocus. More pro style sets. Look more like the Tennessee of the past.

So not Leach. :(

Might as well be Miles then.

Reactions: 4 people
Pretty good show this morning. You may not know Doug's background - assistant coach and shared office with Fulmer for 10 years. Fulmer and he have a Saturday radio show called "coach to coach". Bottom line - He knows Fulmer as a friend and colleague.

Having said that - Doug's information coming from the Hill is going to be a little more accurate.

Some points he made this morning:

• No way Kiffin ever coming back here with Fulmer as AD
  • Fulmer didn't sign on for just a 2 year deal. He has the job as long as he wants it.
  • No rift between Fulmer and Manning
  • Fulmer has most likey (100% chance) has talked to every recruit.

The question of Tee came up. Doug said "Phillip knows what he wants and if he will hire the best candidate." Mentioned Chavis and Steele in that conversation. If not, they will most likely get a call anyway just to get their input.

He also put some myths to bed. One misconception I had, Neyland was hired to beat Vanderbilt. Not true - he came in as an assistant and needed a ROTC program to be a part of. UT and another school had a ROTC opening and fortunately he chose UT.
If Currie and little jimmie did not contact Kiffin, it makes 100% sense that Coach Fulmer would not contact him.

They were involved in hiring Kiffin. Given the way Kiffin left and the obvious fact that he took Fulmer's job when he really did not want to leave....there hasn't been but one person born who was that forgiving and we are about to celebrate his birth.

I do not want Chavis or Steele to be UT's DC. I propose that the new head coach speak to Marion Hobby who is well respected and was part of the great staff at Clemson. He is with Jacksonville right now. Coach Sweeny would most likely look at him for the DC position when Venables leaves.

Reactions: 4 people
I just listened to nearly an hour long stream of unceasing lies. It's inbred homers like Mathews who caused the collapse of UT. I get that Matthews is a shill for the university but my God. That was revisionist history at its very worst. He painted Fulmer as Jesus incarnate, Currie as the single, satanic architect of our embarrassment, the Haslams as generous boosters who've accomplished wonderful things at UT, Peyton as Phillip's loyal son, Davenport as a fledgling chancellor who made a mistake hiring Currie but who has learned from her mistake and will provide divine leadership henceforth.

It's just putrid. We had a chance to escape the cycle of dumbassery, but instead we gleefully jumped right back into Big Papa Plump's lap like spineless house dogs. DePietro, Davenport, and Fulmer all need to be shown the door. Purge the House of Haslam once and for all.

I had been looking forward to the game tonight versus Georgia Tech all week, but I don't think I can pull for an athletic department led by Judas Brutus. I'll just have a few beers and watch the NFL. This university is floating face down dead in the water, and Phillip Fulmer was the chief saboteur.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 33 people
I just listened to nearly an hour long stream of unceasing lies. It's inbred homers like Mathews who caused the collapse of UT. I get that Matthews is a shill for the university but my God. That was revisionist history at its very worst. He painted Fulmer as Jesus incarnate, Currie as the single, satanic architect of our embarrassment, the Haslams as generous boosters who've accomplished wonderful things at UT, Peyton as Phillip's loyal son, Davenport as a fledgling chancellor who made a mistake hiring Currie but who has learned from her mistake and will provide divine leadership henceforth.

It's just putrid. We had a chance to escape the cycle of dumbassery, but instead we gleefully jumped right back into Big Papa Plump's lap like spineless house dogs. DePietro, Davenport, and Fulmer all need to be shown the door. Purge the House of Haslam once and for all.

I had been looking forward to the game tonight versus Georgia Tech all week, but I don't think I can pull for an athletic department led by Judas Brutus. I'll just have a few beers and watch the NFL. This university is floating face down dead in the water, and Phillip Fulmer was the chief saboteur.

Well............ BYE 👋

Reactions: 51 people

basketvols and Rick Barnes have nothing to do with this. We need to pull for them so Fulmer doesn’t have to find a basketball coach

Plus it’s a game against fake Memphis with Pastner at coach.

Reactions: 7 people

How soon we forget. I will not automatically trust him nor should anyone else.

Reactions: 11 people

I just hope they hire someone who is married to winning games, regardless of "the system". Butch was married to his system to his detriment. Don't care if it's power t, option, run n' shoot, triangle, or full court press as long as we win.

Reactions: 6 people

:lol:

Reactions: 9 people

Good morning Butch

Reactions: 18 people

at least somebody has enough balls to tell it like it is!

Reactions: 18 people
Yes i know the Oregon razzle dazzle is popular with the younger kids. I like power football though, i'm old fashioned. Tennessee was better when they could knock someone off the ball, not trick them because they couldn't.

Agree! Football is a physical sport. It all starts with control of the line, on both sides of the ball.

Control the line of scrimmage + control the tempo + play great special teams + take care of the rock = win the game.

If your style or personnel can't/won't do those 4 things, you can't win championships.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back