Doug Mathews "Big Orange Sunday" takeaways

more on we're stupid:

In another post a few days ago I threw out a suggestion that Kiffin's OC was doing a great job--maybe check him out.

Turns out he is Kendal Briles and Kendal happens to be Art Briles son.

Granted Art has had his continuing problems at Baylor, but an intelligent poster came back at me in saying Art Briles SON could never come to Knoxville!

I simply called him a red neck but in fact it is that kind of stupidity that we are becoming known for around the football world!

I agree. Alabama doesn't use a lot of razzle dazzle and they seem to do just fine. They line up and pound the rock down the opponents throat. Start with that, then mix in the pass and you cant be stopped.
The difference is, Bama has nothing but number 1 recruiting classes making up their roster. They can line up under center and be the stronger and more talented team nearly every time. But even Bama has integrated a lot more spread concepts over the last few years because they couldn't keep up with teams like Ohio State, who had both top talent and had a high-powered spread offense.

Reactions: 2 people
I just listened to nearly an hour long stream of unceasing lies. It's inbred homers like Mathews who caused the collapse of UT. I get that Matthews is a shill for the university but my God. That was revisionist history at its very worst. He painted Fulmer as Jesus incarnate, Currie as the single, satanic architect of our embarrassment, the Haslams as generous boosters who've accomplished wonderful things at UT, Peyton as Phillip's loyal son, Davenport as a fledgling chancellor who made a mistake hiring Currie but who has learned from her mistake and will provide divine leadership henceforth.

It's just putrid. We had a chance to escape the cycle of dumbassery, but instead we gleefully jumped right back into Big Papa Plump's lap like spineless house dogs. DePietro, Davenport, and Fulmer all need to be shown the door. Purge the House of Haslam once and for all.

I had been looking forward to the game tonight versus Georgia Tech all week, but I don't think I can pull for an athletic department led by Judas Brutus. I'll just have a few beers and watch the NFL. This university is floating face down dead in the water, and Phillip Fulmer was the chief saboteur.

You shouldn't drink this early on a Sunday.

Reactions: 3 people
This, imo, is the reason former head coaches should not be the AD. Phil should hire the best coach available, NOT one that will allow Phil to influence the offense the new coach runs.
Hiring a coach that runs what Phil thinks will work is NOT the answer.

And this is my concern

Reactions: 5 people
I just listened to nearly an hour long stream of unceasing lies. It's inbred homers like Mathews who caused the collapse of UT. I get that Matthews is a shill for the university but my God. That was revisionist history at its very worst. He painted Fulmer as Jesus incarnate, Currie as the single, satanic architect of our embarrassment, the Haslams as generous boosters who've accomplished wonderful things at UT, Peyton as Phillip's loyal son, Davenport as a fledgling chancellor who made a mistake hiring Currie but who has learned from her mistake and will provide divine leadership henceforth.

It's just putrid. We had a chance to escape the cycle of dumbassery, but instead we gleefully jumped right back into Big Papa Plump's lap like spineless house dogs. DePietro, Davenport, and Fulmer all need to be shown the door. Purge the House of Haslam once and for all.

I had been looking forward to the game tonight versus Georgia Tech all week, but I don't think I can pull for an athletic department led by Judas Brutus. I'll just have a few beers and watch the NFL. This university is floating face down dead in the water, and Phillip Fulmer was the chief saboteur.

we won't miss you.......... so go watch the unpatriotic national felons

Reactions: 6 people
The difference is, Bama has nothing but number 1 recruiting classes making up their roster. They can line up under center and be the stronger and more talented team nearly every time. But even Bama has integrated a lot more spread concepts over the last few years because they couldn't keep up with teams like Ohio State, who had both top talent and had a high-powered spread offense.

This is basically what i just said...

These are lies. The student section merely chanted Fire Currie and Hire Kiffin in a game that was a blowout. UT security over reacted and starting forcing students to leave who led the chants. They broke one student's arm in the process. This is just more fake news revisionist history.

Barnes is an old curmudgeon. He constantly talks about Texas in every interview. He can just go back there.

While the team looks a little better this year, Branes hasn't accomplished anything here. He hasn't embraced Tennessee. He's just trying to show Texas they made a mistake. He's here for all the wrong reasons.

I saw drunk idiots swinging at cops and being body slammed. Was that CGI? Rest of your post was equal blowhard nonsense. :boredom:

Reactions: 4 people
You guys realize these type of offenses have had no success against Bama, right? Since 2011 the only teams to beat Bama have been spread offenses that ran nearly 100% shotgun offenses, except LSU who beat them 9-6 in 2011 then got shut out by that same Bama team in the national championship game. LSU's pro style offense scored 9 points in two games against Bama that year.

I'm fine using some of this offense, but you have to be able to spread the field in order to:
1) Beat the best defenses with the best defensive linemen, i.e. Bama, Georgia
2) Keep up with the top offenses, i.e. Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma

I think it should be a part of what they do as well as spread you out. That's where a good coach comes in. Butch Jones was too narrow minded when it comes to his system. The best offenses can do both. I suspect Doug was taking more of a dig at the fact Jones was so stubborn with his offensive philosophy, that he'd rather take his ball and leave town than adapt to what he had. I think the one trick pony guys have a limited ceiling in this league, i'm not bucking for a lumbering Big Ten offense.

This, imo, is the reason former head coaches should not be the AD. Phil should hire the best coach available, NOT one that will allow Phil to influence the offense the new coach runs.

Indeed.

Exactly. This is why Wisconsin will never be a serious contender to win the national championship despite being an annual top 10 team. Barry Alvarez only hires coaches that fit his power run offensive philosophy, but that offense can only muster 21 points against Ohio State and similar top teams. They don't get the pick of the litter like Bama, so they have to be able to spread teams with good defensive lines like Ohio State, but they don't. That's why you'll see Wisconsin in the top 10 all year but never in the CFP

Exactly. This is why Wisconsin will never be a serious contender to win the national championship despite being an annual top 10 team. Barry Alvarez only hires coaches that fit his power run offensive philosophy, but that offense can only muster 21 points against Ohio State and similar top teams. They don't get the pick of the litter like Bama, so they have to be able to spread teams with good defensive lines like Ohio State, but they don't. That's why you'll see Wisconsin in the top 10 all year but never in the CFP

And how has Osborne worked out as the AD at Nebraska......

Reactions: 1 person
I think it should be a part of what they do as well as spread you out. That's where a good coach comes in. Butch Jones was too narrow minded when it comes to his system. The best offenses can do both. I suspect Doug was taking more of a dig at the fact Jones was so stubborn with his offensive philosophy, that he'd rather take his ball and leave town than adapt to what he had. I think the one trick pony guys have a limited ceiling in this league, i'm not bucking for a lumbering Big Ten offense.
You may be right about Mathews taking a shot at Jones. Although I will say, Clemson, Ohio State, and Auburn you will almost never see go under center, so not all of the best offenses do both. But I'm fine with doing both as long as we can effectively go spread when we are playing teams with NFL defensive linemen and we develop our QBs well. Spreading teams out alone doesn't beat the top teams. Need to have a top QB as well.

Anyone thinking Fulmer isn't in line with the Haslam march is only lying to themselves. It will take someone a lot more powerful than Fulmer to take down the Haslam hold.

Bama boosters simply got tired of losing and gave complete control to Saban. Since he was hired, have you heard from Paul Bryant Jr or the rest of their mafia? Hell no.

Tennessee mafia isn't tired of losing nor found the guy they trust to turn it over to. (Gruden, for example, wasn't the guy).

You're way off base. Haslam let Hamilton fire Fulmer. Haslam wanted Currie's assistant AD to replace Currie.

I will answer that next year after we see Scott frosts first year...

Uhhh........you do realize that Tom is not the AD any more don't you......Tom gets credit for all the crappy hires that have doomed the Nebraska program over the past few years......Frost will be good for them though......

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 people
You may be right about Mathews taking a shot at Jones. Although I will say, Clemson, Ohio State, and Auburn you will almost never see go under center, so not all of the best offenses do both. But I'm fine with doing both as long as we can effectively go spread when we are playing teams with NFL defensive linemen and we develop our QBs well. Spreading teams out alone doesn't beat the top teams. Need to have a top QB as well.
Comes down to executing. Tennessee couldn't block anyone, QB play was poor, and the receivers couldn't get separation. Jones wasn't a good coach.

It's time to come together,your divisiveness is not wanted anymore.! You and people like you who check likes that won't pull for Tennessee for any reason,GO AWAY ! Bama wants some more bandwagoners and Georgia is starting one ,Go jump on their wagons and quit taking the wheels of ours.

Reactions: 6 people
an athletic program run by an experience person in athletics. A ****ing novel idea.

we are once again headed in the right direction. Those who chose Currie and Hammy should be sacked.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back