13' GA S Vonn Bell (Ohio State signee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grant was a great player. Prototypical FS. But EB was a better all around player IMO. I still think EB could have played 5-6 different positions and been awesome. By saying that I mean if they brought him in as a freshman and put him at a different position and left him there he could have balled out. I swear I think he could have played FS, CB, SS, OLB, WR, or RB an flat out balled, JMO. THAT IS...if they were to have groomed him as a freshman to play one of those positions. Dude was a boss

Reactions: 1 person
Always felt like Deon could've been even better than he was. I think EB gave us absolutely everything he had. JMO.

Always felt like Deon could've been even better than he was. I think EB gave us absolutely everything he had. JMO.

That may have been because EB had to in order to make up for some shortcomings elsewhere. Grant had guys helping him out all over the defense so he wasn't overloaded with responsibility.

Guys, you will never hear me say a disparaging word about either Deon Grant or Eric Berry, but the competition for greatest safety/defensive back certainly doesn't end there. I apologize for the length of this post but let's give tribute to all of our All-Americans at this position. Consider the following:

Dale Carter: Like Eric, Dale was a two-time All-American (1990, 1991). "In two seasons with the Vols, Carter earned All-America status each year and garnered national recognition as a sticky defensive back and an explosive kick return man. It was his kick-return capabilities that sealed his All-America status in 1990. He led the nation with 507 yards on 17 returns for an average of 29.82 yards per return. Carter also returned 29 punts for 381 yards, a 13.1-yard average. His senior year, he was one of three final candidates for the Thorpe Award given to the nation's top defensive back." UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

Chris White: All-American safety in 1985. Not even a starter at the beginning of the season, White certainly didn't possess the physical talents of the previous three greats, but White led the nation in interceptions that year with nine. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

Other All-American defensive backs from the late 1960s and 1970s include Roland James (1979. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Eddie Brown (1973. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Conrad Graham (1972. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Jimmy Weatherford. 1968. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Albert Dorsey (1967. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), and Bobby Majors (1971. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

Consider the following specific data pertaining to Majors and Weatherford:

"In the Vols' 10-9 win over Alabama in 1968, Weatherford blocked the Crimson Tide's final field goal attempt in the final minutes before a national ABC audience and capacity crowd at Neyland Stadium. Including Weatherford, six of his defensive teammates at UT earned All-America honors during their collegiate careers" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football). TALK ABOUT A DOMINANT DEFENSE, PARTICULARLY THE BACK SEVEN.

Bobby Majors "returned punts all three years of his varsity career, holding the school records for career punt returns with 117 and career punt return yardage with 1,163. He also returned kickoffs, averaging 30.1-yards per return in 1971-- third highest in UT history. Majors completed his special teams threat by punting for the Vols in 1970 and 1971, compiling a career average of 37.3.

But the defensive backfield was where Majors flourished. He set the single-season school record with 10 interceptions in 1970, the same year the Vols led the NCAA with 36 picks. He ranks sixth on the career pass interceptions list with 13" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

Reactions: 5 people
Guys, you will never hear me say a disparaging word about either Deon Grant or Eric Berry, but the competition for greatest safety/defensive back certainly doesn't end there. I apologize for the length of this post but let's give tribute to all of our All-Americans at this position. Consider the following:

Dale Carter: Like Eric, Dale was a two-time All-American (1990, 1991). "In two seasons with the Vols, Carter earned All-America status each year and garnered national recognition as a sticky defensive back and an explosive kick return man. It was his kick-return capabilities that sealed his All-America status in 1990. He led the nation with 507 yards on 17 returns for an average of 29.82 yards per return. Carter also returned 29 punts for 381 yards, a 13.1-yard average. His senior year, he was one of three final candidates for the Thorpe Award given to the nation's top defensive back." UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

Chris White: All-American safety in 1985. Not even a starter at the beginning of the season, White certainly didn't possess the physical talents of the previous three greats, but White led the nation in interceptions that year with nine. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

Other All-American defensive backs from the late 1960s and 1970s include Roland James (1979. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Eddie Brown (1973. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Conrad Graham (1972. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Jimmy Weatherford. 1968. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), Albert Dorsey (1967. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), and Bobby Majors (1971. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

"In the Vols' 10-9 win over Alabama in 1968, Weatherford blocked the Crimson Tide's final field goal attempt in the final minutes before a national ABC audience and capacity crowd at Neyland Stadium. Including Weatherford, six of his defensive teammates at UT earned All-America honors during their collegiate careers" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football). TALK ABOUT A DOMINANT DEFENSE, PARTICULARLY THE BACK SEVEN.

Bobby Majors "returned punts all three years of his varsity career, holding the school records for career punt returns with 117 and career punt return yardage with 1,163. He also returned kickoffs, averaging 30.1-yards per return in 1971-- third highest in UT history. Majors completed his special teams threat by punting for the Vols in 1970 and 1971, compiling a career average of 37.3.

But the defensive backfield was where Majors flourished. He set the single-season school record with 10 interceptions in 1970, the same year the Vols led the NCAA with 36 picks. He ranks sixth on the career pass interceptions list with 13" (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football).

Yep, throw Dale Carter in there too. Amazing athlete!!

I'm as big of Deon Grant fan as you will find. I think he's an all time great Vol. but him vs E.B...sorry I don't see it. Grant had fabulous ball skills, but I remember Fred White doing much of the dirty work down in the box with run support.

Eric Berry was Deon Grant and Fred White all in one. You couldn't throw his way. He would pick it, if someone fumbled he was there to recover it...every time. So I can't see that Grant had better ball skills. Berry blitzed and sacked QBs, also played in the box and stopped the run. And is there any question who was the hardest hitter? Berry killed people.

I feel bad for J Smith. Here's a highly talented kid who comes into a situation where he has 3 different DL coaches in three years. Kid has all the talent but just hasn't had consistent coaching. Would have loved to see what Chuck Smith could have done with him, JMHO tho may get blitzed for that one.

I'm as big of Deon Grant fan as you will find. I think he's an all time great Vol. but him vs E.B...sorry I don't see it. Grant had fabulous ball skills, but I remember Fred White doing much of the dirty work down in the box with run support.

Eric Berry was Deon Grant and Fred White all in one. You couldn't throw his way. He would pick it, if someone fumbled he was there to recover it...every time. So I can't see that Grant had better ball skills. Berry blitzed and sacked QBs, also played in the box and stopped the run. And is there any question who was the hardest hitter? Berry killed people.

I agree in part. They were totally different players who played different safety positions for the most part. Indeed, Berry the more physical of the two, however, Grant had the same amount of picks in 2 years as Berry had in 3. Both great Vol legends!

Is this a legitimate question? Not being a butt or anything promise just wanting to know if you truly don't know.

maybe its was just a small hint to try to find out what was going on with VONN BELL this weekend.

Too subtle?
I'm as off topic as any poster here, but CRAP!

Those are amazing players and stats, giving credit to the team mates that created opportunities for individuals to shine....Time for the Bell to toll once again for the Big Orange and the team mates to commit with him to begin a new era of Vol Greatness.....BOOOM!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back