'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

Just watched the video interview with Derrick Green. And for anyone who wants to 'read tea leaves', when Farrell asked Green about the various teams, Green was having a hard time holding back a smile when discussing the Vols. While I believe Michigan may have the lead, I think this one is far from over.

And this kid is nothing like Bryce Brown. For one, he doesn't have a handler. And he seems to be a quiet well spoken young man.

I didn't say he was like Brown. I said we didn't need another Brown.

My point being is that just because a recruit is highly rated don't mean he will work out. Brown for example.

I don't see how every school besides Tennessee finds these diamonds in the rough prospects and we spend all our efforts fighting for 5 star recruits that may or may not bring a huge ego that does not match his talent level.

Take Vandy for example. I would take Stacy any day of the week. He is a solid back. I don't know what he was rated or if we even offered him but we damn sure should have.

EDIT: Scout.com had Zac Stacy a 2 star back.

Rivals had him at 3 stars

If that don't make you question these rankings I don't know what would.

Last edited:

My point being is that just because a recruit is highly rated don't mean he will work out. Brown for example.

I don't see how every school besides Tennessee finds these diamonds in the rough prospects and we spend all our efforts fighting for 5 star recruits that may or may not bring a huge ego that does not match his talent level.

Take Vandy for example. I would take Stacy any day of the week. He is a solid back. I don't know what he was rated or if we even offered him but we damn sure should have.

Well it definitely helps that we have a RB coach that can coach them up. With the exception of a couple coaches on the last staff, IMO, this is what we were missing. Talent and scheme can only do so much, the coaches need to develop the players and provide guidance, purpose, and direction.

clowney.0_standard_709.0.gif

On the one hand, who wants to have to deal with that ever?

On the other hand, there’s a ton of guys like that in the NFL.

If I was Derrick Green I’d be looking at the tape and comparing me some oranges to oranges.

Reactions: 1 person
On the one hand, who wants to have to deal with that ever?

On the other hand, there’s a ton of guys like that in the NFL.

If I was Derrick Green I’d be looking at the tape and comparing me some oranges to oranges.

Clowney will gone after next year, so really not a big deal.

I hope DG saw that play and said, "damn, if I went to Michigan that could be me getting blown up. If I went to UT I would face DEs like that all the time though. Only difference is Tennessee's LT shut that guy down when they played AND he told me personally he wants to block for me."

Reactions: 3 people
Good thing Clowney didn't do that to us this year!!!!.....except on that one play.....that won them the game......crap.:hmm:

EDIT: Scout.com had Zac Stacy a 2 star back.

Rivals had him at 3 stars

If that don't make you question these rankings I don't know what would.

Just because someone is 5 star doesn't mean they will have a big ego and be a headache. And just because someone is a 3 star doesn't mean they won't. That seems like a silly assessment/generalization all around.

Tennessee has also found their fair share of "diamonds in the rough" over the years by the way. So you would rather us not go after the top prospects because they may or may not have an ego? And you would rather us spend our time trying to find diamonds in the rough because you think they have less of a chance of having a big ego? Alrighty then. Good job finding one examplIna lower rated player that Has worked out for Vandy. I could go and show you about 50 top recruits that bama has signed the past few years who have worked out pretty well for them. So would you rather have Alabama's last 5 classes or Vandy's?

It's funny most people complain that we are recruiting too many lower rated--"diamond in the rough" type players and you are complaining that we are spending too much time going after bigger name players. Man this coaching staff just cant win.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEkm6ufkE54[/youtube]

Except for this whole thing.

fyp

And you guys are completely understating a mind-numbingly awesome play by Clowney to make that sack/fumble. Not a lot of humans on this planet could’ve made that play. While not nearly as GIF-tastic, I watched two Nebraska players get similar hits on consecutive plays against Georgia.

Bottom line, Tennessee’s line played great against USC, and Michigan’s line gave us animated pictures:

ClowneyHit_zps7e5d8075.gif

Reactions: 14 people
fyp

And you guys are completely understating a mind-numbingly awesome play by Clowney to make that sack/fumble. Not a lot of humans on this planet could’ve made that play. While not nearly as GIF-tastic, I watched two Nebraska players get similar hits on consecutive plays against Georgia.

Bottom line, Tennessee’s line played great against USC, and Michigan’s line gave us animated pictures:

Not to mention all the sacks UM gave up and tackles for loss.

fyp

The explosion followed by flying body parts made for many lulz.

With a new coaching staff and a position where experience does not always dictate success, I think the RB position will go to best performer in the spring and fall practices.

Could be a Brown and Hardesty situation where Neal or Lane start and Green comes in and takes a larger and larger role. Maybe Riggs and Foster would be a more apropo example.

better yet, how about a Houston and Riggs role :rock:

mich has six 4 star ol's in their class right now im sure their selling d green heavy on playing behind "the best ol in the country"

they got that kalis kid last yr too who was a 5 star OT

mich has six 4 star ol's in their class right now im sure their selling d green heavy on playing behind "the best ol in the country"

they got that kalis kid last yr too who was a 5 star OT

They are. But seriously, look at all the O-line and D-line talent in the SEC. And look at all the O-line and D-line talent in the NFL from the SEC. That’s not even the best D-line in the SEC East!

I just wonder what kind of reaction seeing UM playing against a UT opponent Green will have.

VN Store

Back