'13 VA RB Derrick Green (Michigan commit)

I don't quite get it myself. I know everyone has things they like about this player or that player. People seemed to have switched from Wanting Green to Kamara based on the 2 all star game performances. The funny thing is Green actually rushed for more yards and more yards per carry. IMO, the fact he named Michigan his leader and said he knows where he is going has more to do with it than anything. Either back would see alot of carries at Tennessee.

There's a lot of truth in this.:thumbsup:

Its not about the stats......

I know but i watched kamara and green, Kamara bounced an inside run and the DE was pancaked on the play. He has good speed, but didn't see anything speacial. People have been doning green b/c he doesn
t play in GA.

It's an all-star game, you don't really get a full view of a recruit, that's why most people only watch for the announcements. Also 23 yard runs are a part of the game, I've never understood the "take away that run then" argument because Green earned those 23 yards.

As to the Chris Johnson comparison you do realize that at one point this year he was averaging his highest ypc behind one of the worst O-lines in the NFL? He has reached over 1,000 yards this season without hitting many of those homerun plays and he is getting a lot less carries than he has in the past years, not to mention you could probably take UT's O-line and put them in there and they could outperform the Titan's O-line.

Green is physically the much better RB prospect. He is elite. I will be wiping off my screen for months if we get him.

Believe me it's my job to get kids fast. I've studied this thing hard. I've set my program to train kids/athletes for timed speeds(40s and shuttles) as well as real football speed. Running 5 miles a day is for a fighter or more of a soccer player. Football players work off explosion. Longest football plays are most consistently on STs.

Do you run one of the Strength and Speed programs to help athletes? Theres a few in Bham and a buddy of mine paid for his brother to go to one and it really helped him alot.

Green showed why he is the No. 1 running back in the country. He averaged six yards per carry and totaled 49 yards. On one play Green broke through the line, made at least one guy miss and ran free into the secondary for a 23-yard run, the longest of the game. Green's vision and the physicality he ran with made him one of the best players on the field.

Rivals

Thought the same thing. Didnt understand some saying he didnt look good.

Believe me I know about the MMA workouts. Fight prep really sucks running when you're cutting about 15-20lbs of weight then the other guy backs out. :) But back to Green though.

Now you're a fighter? Too much. Probably don't want to talk too much about that unless you want to be exposed.

Last edited:
Green is physically the much better RB prospect. He is elite. I will be wiping off my screen for months if we get him.

Highly disagree, Elite to me equals TJ Yeldon, Bryce Brown, Gurley, Trent Richardson type of athletes at the RB spot. Green isn't elite in any area except for size coming out of HS.

Serious???? You can watch him run for the Eagles now or watch him dominate as a prep in the USAAG when he was running through tacklers. Also scored on a deep pass play where he showed off his hands.

Yeah he was MVP of that game and #1 player in the country for a reason.. T Rich should've been ahead of him IMO, but I think if Brown would've stayed put somewhere, he would've showed out

Bryce Brown?? He has never done anything elite in his life

Dumb statement born out of sour grapes I suspect..

Look, you may not like Brown because of his career, or lack there of, at UT but don't pretend that his physical abilities as they pertain to the RB position are not an "elite" level..

Yeah he was MVP of that game and #1 player in the country for a reason.. T Rich should've been ahead of him IMO, but I think if Brown would've stayed put somewhere, he would've showed out

Don't know as pros outside of ball security I like Brown's ability more than Trent. As freshmen their stats weren't hugely different either(even though Trent was the better back then).

Yeah he started a few games in the NFL thanks to an injury to Shady, but to group him with the guys in that post to me is ridiculous. If he was truly elite like the ones in your list he would have been a lot more productive in his short lived career at UT. I realize there are some sour grapes involved but to say that Derrick Green isn't even close to Bryce Brown is a little crazy to me.

Yeah he started a few games in the NFL thanks to an injury to Shady, but to group him with the guys in that post to me is ridiculous. If he was truly elite like the ones in your list he would have been a lot more productive in his short lived career at UT. I realize there are some sour grapes involved but to say that Derrick Green isn't even close to Bryce Brown is a little crazy to me.

Sour grapes??? I never grouped Green in my top RBs. Kamara and Dye were always my 1a. and 1b. Those other backs would've had the same production running behind the line we had as well as backing up Hardesty. Green isn't close to Brown IMO I'm sorry. There are a few elite backs in this class but Green isn't one of them. I thought his tackle breaking and strength would be showcased yesterday but they weren't in a game where the best LBs from this class really weren't playing (outside of Jaylon Smith). His speed is what I thought it was too. Not a breakaway threat IMO.

Starting to lose confidence on this one with him saying he has already decided. Hope I am wrong.

That is how I feel about it. I think he is 95% Michigan. Just don't like our chances. It did not help any that we did not have a single recruit playing in the game with him yesterday. Taking the pictures with the other UM players said alot IMO. I did not see any "RB" photos, or "#1 at their position" photos. Pushing other backs aside while we waited for Green may prove to have been ANOTHER bad decision.

Reactions: 1 person
TBH, Green's play and recruitment reminds me a lot of Enrique Davis coming out of HS. He MAY end up being good but his play, despite what the recruiting services say, didn't reflect it Saturday.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back