'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a dumb question but does he know a lot about American Football? I mean is he going to be able to pick up coverages and stuff?

I don't know if what he played in Germany was the same as it is here.

What's his football IQ? His highlight tape just focuses on the blitzes for the most part.

jakob played in a 4-3 defense. he is a verry inteligent kid. he knows about the basics in football, how to deal with a cov. 2, cov. 3 and man cov. thats all we can establish over here in germany. but the small packeges we teach, we teach excessively....so the kids are prepared to play anywhere else in the world with solid basic skills. he is samt and skilled enough to play div. 1 football...but he still got to learn and work. but be sure....vols coaches understood that he is a raw diamond !

Reactions: 9 people
This guy is 10000 percent worth the offer.
Because....? Because you simply trust the staff? I'm sure that's what you said when Dooley was still the HC. "They know more than we do," right? Right?

And yet, those same players are the ones you keep claiming are too slow and untalented...on our current roster. So, which is it? Trust, but verify....or just trust, until the current coach is no longer the coach here, and then it's open season on him and the players he recruited. Sounds pretty hypocritical, imho.

Not bashing the kid....but I'm tired of blindly trusting whoever happens to be the current staff members. It gives me a little more peace of mind, knowing that more than our own staff believes a player has SEC level talent.

Still doesn't validate an SEC offer

Oh noes!! We offered someone and took a commitment from a kid that neither Rivals nor ESPN has evaluated! Only a 2 star or unranked, so this must be a reach. Dude, Tommy Thigpen has been in this league coaching LBs for probably longer than you have been living on this earth. Do you not think that he knows SEC talent and speed at the LB position when he sees it?? He offered this kid on the spot when he saw him play in person earlier this year. Thinks he has the most potential out of any LB on this class, including the 4 and 5 stars that you are comparing him to on your recruiting services website. With the limited number of spots, do you seriously think we would reach on a questionable prospect?? I don't. I will trust who his position coach will be that has seen what it takes to be a SEC LB over many, many years.

Reactions: 11 people
Because....? Because you simply trust the staff? I'm sure that's what you said when Dooley was still the HC. "They know more than we do," right? Right?

And yet, those same players are the ones you keep claiming are too slow and untalented...on our current roster. So, which is it? Trust, but verify....or just trust, until the current coach is no longer the coach here, and then it's open season on him and the players he recruited. Sounds pretty hypocritical, imho.

Not bashing the kid....but I'm tired of blindly trusting whoever happens to be the current staff members. It gives me a little more peace of mind, knowing that more than our own staff believes a player has SEC level talent.

This isn't the last staff. The last staff didn't have Thiggy out there recruiting LBs!!! I may not be sold on the entire staff yet either, but I am sold on Thig!

Reactions: 1 person

One simple reason to really trust the staff on this one: numbers. Do you seriously think we would reach when we are this low on numbers, over 2 months from signing day, and are loaded at the LB position?

Think for yourself and quit star gazing!!!

This isn't the last staff. The last staff didn't have Thiggy out there recruiting LBs!!! I may not be sold on the entire staff yet either, but I am sold on Thig!

Some people just don't get it. Our best DB is a true FR, who was a 5.6 3 star. Guess who was a big reason that he signed with the Vols? Willie Martinez, his position coach, who just so happens to have coached DBs for many years in this league, just like Thigpen has coached LBs for many years. Do you think Willie knows what it takes to play CB in this league? Absolutely! That's why our staff was jacked when his LOI came through.

Reactions: 4 people

Thigpen knows an SEC player when he sees one. You should read through more of the thread before you make another retarded comment.

Reactions: 7 people
Thigpen knows an SEC player when he sees one. You should read through more of the thread before you make another retarded comment.

Posters on VN know much more than any college coach just like politicians that went to expensive private high schools know all about public school needs.

We have all these elite guys committed at LB and in Clifton Garrett's top two. Do people really think we would waste a spot on a total scrub like Dooley would have when he was getting killed in recruiting?

Oh noes!! We offered someone and took a commitment from a kid that neither Rivals nor ESPN has evaluated! Only a 2 star or unranked, so this must be a reach. Dude, Tommy Thigpen has been in this league coaching LBs for probably longer than you have been living on this earth. Do you not think that he knows SEC talent and speed at the LB position when he sees it?? He offered this kid on the spot when he saw him play in person earlier this year. Thinks he has the most potential out of any LB on this class, including the 4 and 5 stars that you are comparing him to on your recruiting services website. With the limited number of spots, do you seriously think we would reach on a questionable prospect?? I don't. I will trust who his position coach will be that has seen what it takes to be a SEC LB over many, many years.

What this dude said...Rich is Rollin with.

Some people just don't get it. Our best DB is a true FR, who was a 5.6 3 star. Guess who was a big reason that he signed with the Vols? Willie Martinez, his position coach, who just so happens to have coached DBs for many years in this league, just like Thigpen has coached LBs for many years. Do you think Willie knows what it takes to play CB in this league? Absolutely! That's why our staff was jacked when his LOI came through.

To my previous post = ditto

We have all these elite guys committed at LB and in Clifton Garrett's top two. Do people really think we would waste a spot on a total scrub like Dooley would have when he was getting killed in recruiting?

I'm leaving it up to our LB guru, Coach Tommy Thigpen who said he could be the top LB recruit in this class. He understands the scholarship number crunch, and if he's willing to get him even with our already elite '14 LB class I'm all for it. I think this goes to show how much talent Johnson really has.

Johnson likely takes Dews's spot anyway, so what's the concern?

We lost a ton of players to the NFL and lost Mo Couch, Saulsberry, and Worley this year and North for the Vandy game and still had the lead late in the 4th quarter with them pinned deep - compare that to last years Vandy game.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back