'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This board has become insufferable since the loss. These new jokers showing up in the recruiting forum, not knowing a single thing besides how to count stars has me...

work-meetings.gif

Reactions: 14 people
After watching his video again. We may be on to something with Jakob glad he's an EE. Will be good for him to play behind AJ next year and get some reps on special teams.

Also to those knocking the guy just because he's a two star. Remember this guy has been playing football for a while he just hasn't played in America yet. I won't worry he will be good. He's 2 star on rival 4 start on 247 the ratings aren't an exact science yet.

Trust isn't earned by losing to Vanderbilt.

Okay, dude… Whatever! Do you think it is our coaches fault that our soft offensive line can't get enough push to gain 1 yard when we were at the 50 yard line and had a third and one? Our coaches were trying to ride what was supposed to be our strongest unit, the offensive line. Unfortunately, they didn't respond. That would have almost iced the game. I am sure that you are a better talent evaluator then our coaches. So tell me again… What is your occupation? I am guessing you are a coach at a Division I program?

Reactions: 2 people
After watching his video again. We may be on to something with Jakob glad he's an EE. Will be good for him to play behind AJ next year and get some reps on special teams.

Also to those knocking the guy just because he's a two star. Remember this guy has been playing football for a while he just hasn't played in America yet. I won't worry he will be good. He's 2 star on rival 4 start on 247 the ratings aren't an exact science yet.

Rivals gives out two stars to recruits they haven't evaluated yet. Now that they have evaluated his rating will change next week in the new update. I'm guessing a 5.7 or 5.8.

I'd be surprised if AJJ came back.

I saw less quit this year then last and we did beat a top 25 team which we haven't done since Kiffin.

This! If our team the last couple of years would not have quit like our current team, then we wouldn't be ending our season after the Kentucky game the last three years. You guys did not pay too close of attention to some of the things that Jakob said in his interview. What he liked the most was looking on that sideline and seeing our players not being at each other's throats for doing things wrong... He loved how tight the team was and the chemistry between all of the players. That is a product of the coaching staff, and that has happened in a few short months. That is progress! They will be judged on their coaching abilities in year two and year three when we have the type of players that they need in their system.

Okay, dude… Whatever! Do you think it is our coaches fault that our soft offensive line can't get enough push to gain 1 yard when we were at the 50 yard line and had a third and one? Our coaches were trying to ride what was supposed to be our strongest unit, the offensive line. Unfortunately, they didn't respond. That would have almost iced the game. I am sure that you are a better talent evaluator then our coaches. So tell me again… What is your occupation? I am guessing you are a coach at a Division I program?

If the OL is soft and not getting it done, maybe the staff should be playing other kids at those spots. Jackson is said to be a beast as a run blocker. Crowder is thought of the same. If needing a yard here or there to win the game, why not play the road graders vs red shirting them? I understand it may help build for the future, but losing to candy and not getting a bowl game is much worse than burning a red shirt IMO.

If the OL is soft and not getting it done, maybe the staff should be playing other kids at those spots. Jackson is said to be a beast as a run blocker. Crowder is thought of the same. If needing a yard here or there to win the game, why not play the road graders vs red shirting them? I understand it may help build for the future, but losing to candy and not getting a bowl game is much worse than burning a red shirt IMO.

Because the staff probably thought it necessary to get an extra year out of Jackson to try to offset the idiotic decision that our previous regime made in not taking an OL 2 years ago. So let's burn a redshirt for one play...yeah, makes sense. Everyone harps on the coaches and their lack of confidence in the players to open the play book, yet they show confidence in our line to gain one yard, and yet everyone harps that we should have put someone else in or done something different.

Reactions: 1 person
Rivals gives out two stars to recruits they haven't evaluated yet. Now that they have evaluated his rating will change next week in the new update. I'm guessing a 5.7 or 5.8.

I agree with this. Although he should return for his senior year, I don't see him playing as much as he did this year due to lack of options.

I agree with this. Although he should return for his senior year, I don't see him playing as much as he did this year due to lack of options.

I would be willing to bet my posting rights on volnation that if AJ returns and stays healthy he starts every game his senior year and is on the field for just as many or more plays than he was on the field for this year.

I would be willing to bet my posting rights on volnation that if AJ returns and stays healthy he starts every game his senior year and is on the field for just as many or more plays than he was on the field for this year.

I agree you don't just bench a guy that's started in the sec since a freshman.

I'm not so sure. I don't think he'll be graded very high by NFL scouts, and I think staying another year would help him in that area. Excellent run stopper, but horrible in coverage. I think he would rather stay his senior year and share snaps rather than go to the draft and take a chance on not being drafted (depending on how the LB class looks this year).

That being said, can anyone sum up the rest of the LB's going into the draft this year, or how AJ compares to the rest?

I'm not so sure. I don't think he'll be graded very high by NFL scouts, and I think staying another year would help him in that area. Excellent run stopper, but horrible in coverage. I think he would rather stay his senior year and share snaps rather than go to the draft and take a chance on not being drafted (depending on how the LB class looks this year).

That being said, can anyone sum up the rest of the LB's going into the draft this year, or how AJ compares to the rest?

Here are the LBs that I would take over AJ in this upcoming draft:

CJ Mosley- Bama
Christian Jones- FSU
Shayne Skov- Stanford
Jack Tyler- VT
Kyle Van Noy- BYU
Ronald Powell- UF
Lamin Barrow- LSU
Khalil Mack- Buffalo
Anthony Barr- UCLA (Will end up at DE, but he's listed as a LB)
Ryan Shazier- tOSU

I'm sure I've left some off, but those are the guys off the top of my head. He should stay, IMO.

"STRENGTHS: Johnson emerged as a standout for the Vols almost immediately, logging 10 starts as a true freshman and finishing second on the team with 80 tackles, better than any other first-year SEC player in 2011. Starting all 12 games in 2012, Johnson led the SEC with 138 tackles (fourth-most in the NCAA) and led the team with 8.5 tackles for loss, as well.
A better athlete than football player at this stage of his career, Johnson must improve in the finer aspects of his position to earn the draft-day grade that his talent and production would seem to warrant. (11/14/13)"

STRENGTHS: Good overall athlete for the position. Quick to attack the line of scrimmage.
WEAKNESSES: Despite his impressive statistics, Johnson is very much a work in progress. Struggles disengaging from blocks, dropping his head on contact and too often winding up on the turf.

--ROB RANG

A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Sorry to get off topic, back to Jakob

I've agreed with everything you've said on here and for the most part will continue to do so. I also agree that our vaunted O-line should be able to gain a yard. But let's not act like the time management on that drive was anything short of atrocious. IMO time management cost us the game.

By saying that, doesn't mean I'm not behind the coaches. I don't wanna fire them. But the clock management against Vandy and UGA was rather disturbing to me. That's just my opinion.

"STRENGTHS: Johnson emerged as a standout for the Vols almost immediately, logging 10 starts as a true freshman and finishing second on the team with 80 tackles, better than any other first-year SEC player in 2011. Starting all 12 games in 2012, Johnson led the SEC with 138 tackles (fourth-most in the NCAA) and led the team with 8.5 tackles for loss, as well.
A better athlete than football player at this stage of his career, Johnson must improve in the finer aspects of his position to earn the draft-day grade that his talent and production would seem to warrant. (11/14/13)"

STRENGTHS: Good overall athlete for the position. Quick to attack the line of scrimmage.
WEAKNESSES: Despite his impressive statistics, Johnson is very much a work in progress. Struggles disengaging from blocks, dropping his head on contact and too often winding up on the turf.

--ROB RANG

A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Sorry to get off topic, back to Jakob

Spot on. Some of us have been saying this for 2 seasons, but end up getting argued out of the building.

Carry on.

Spot on. Some of us have been saying this for 2 seasons, but end up getting argued out of the building.

Carry on.

It's not the evaluation that's been given by some for 2 straight seasons. It's that one faction evaluates him as a weak horrible player, and the other views him as All American. IMO his abilities have ALWAYS been somewhere in the middle.

Actually the TE got blown up on that play, AGAIN. It was a bad play call any way you look at it. One they have barely run the I-formation all year so why go to it now and two why in the world would you call a play where the TE, who is a horrible blocker has to make the key block on the outside? That is all on the staff if they cant see how bad Downs is and has been all season.

Last edited:
I've agreed with everything you've said on here and for the most part will continue to do so. I also agree that our vaunted O-line should be able to gain a yard. But let's not act like the time management on that drive was anything short of atrocious. IMO time management cost us the game.

By saying that, doesn't mean I'm not behind the coaches. I don't wanna fire them. But the clock management against Vandy and UGA was rather disturbing to me. That's just my opinion.

And I agree with that. Butch's clock management concerns me. I hope he evaluates that aspect in the off-season.

Because the staff probably thought it necessary to get an extra year out of Jackson to try to offset the idiotic decision that our previous regime made in not taking an OL 2 years ago. So let's burn a redshirt for one play...yeah, makes sense. Everyone harps on the coaches and their lack of confidence in the players to open the play book, yet they show confidence in our line to gain one yard, and yet everyone harps that we should have put someone else in or done something different.

Better run blocking could have been an asset in alot more than 1 play. Better run blocking throughout the year could have very well had us ending up with a better record and a bowl game. IMO getting to a bowl game should have been an at all costs situation for this staff. Maybe it proves to help for the future that they red shirted kids who could have helped this year. Keep losing to candy and or finish with a losing record and they may not be around long enough to see the benefit of red shirting kids. I support the staff and hope they can show improvement. Sitting kids who are said to be better than those on the field is a position I just don't quite understand.

Actually the TE got blown up on that play, AGAIN. It was a bad play call any way you look at it. One they have barely run the I-formation all year so why go to it now and two why in the world would you call a play where the TE, who is a horrible blocker has to make the key block on the outside? That is all on the staff if they cant see how bad Downs is and has been all season.

100% correct. I still think Butch can get it done, but that was a horrible play call. Before they snapped I was thinking "Boy I sure hope they aren't about to do what I think they are about to do." I was yelling at the TV for a timeout. I don't understand that one at all. It was close to the worst possible call IMHO.

I agree you don't just bench a guy that's started in the sec since a freshman.

He might start, but no way he's in there as much as he has been. Even CBJ said that he's playing too much on defense due to lack of depth.

He's a great tackler; just not too good on throwing downs. Nothing against AJJ, we will see a lot faster LBs next year.

I may be wrong (or even remembering wrong), but I'm pretty sure I remember Dobbs calling an audible at the line. Could have changed the hole the run was designed to go to based on something he saw in Vandy's alignment but didn't consider who would have to block it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back