'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've agreed with everything you've said on here and for the most part will continue to do so. I also agree that our vaunted O-line should be able to gain a yard. But let's not act like the time management on that drive was anything short of atrocious. IMO time management cost us the game.

By saying that, doesn't mean I'm not behind the coaches. I don't wanna fire them. But the clock management against Vandy and UGA was rather disturbing to me. That's just my opinion.

I agree. At the game the whole crowd was literally yelling at them to bleed the clock. I didn't understand why they wouldn't wait until there was 3 seconds left on the play clock to snap it.

Rivals gives out two stars to recruits they haven't evaluated yet. Now that they have evaluated his rating will change next week in the new update. I'm guessing a 5.7 or 5.8.

I'd be surprised if AJJ came back.

Where's AJJ going? Giving up football or something

Johnson will receive a new Rivals ranking when the new ratings come out the week of December 2. He will have another chance to move up in the final January rankings as well once his film gets circulated more throughout our team on the next round of ranking meetings following the all-star circuit. Hopefully we see him at a game in Florida or on TV.

Johnson has excellent size and a great frame. He is tough inside 'backer that excels attacking downhill and on delayed blitzes. Great pass rush ability and athletic ability. If he keeps growing he will likely put his hand in the ground or come off the edge in a two-point stance.

Solid against the run and drives through ball carriers. Not sure on his 40 speed, but he is very good in pursuit and takes nice angles. Really good in the short box too.

Solid under the radar get for Tennessee. Johnson has potential and the size needed to be capable contributor and starter in the SEC.

-Kynon Codrington, Rivals

Reactions: 4 people
More from Kynon...

Definite 3-star. I can't remember where we moved him on the rankings call last week. My work computer crashed and I don't have the updated rankings available. I will likely have to wait until next week like everyone else unless Yahoo! fixes my computer this week.

Better run blocking could have been an asset in alot more than 1 play. Better run blocking throughout the year could have very well had us ending up with a better record and a bowl game. IMO getting to a bowl game should have been an at all costs situation for this staff. Maybe it proves to help for the future that they red shirted kids who could have helped this year. Keep losing to candy and or finish with a losing record and they may not be around long enough to see the benefit of red shirting kids. I support the staff and hope they can show improvement. Sitting kids who are said to be better than those on the field is a position I just don't quite understand.

Your logic is faulty. Or you just wanna bicker.

If Jackson is SOOOO much better than Bullard and would have made THE difference in us being bowl eligible or not this year, then why hasn't he been starting over him for the past 3 years?? IMO, he and Bullard are comparable players (hopefully Jackson turns out to be a little better) so it is very good planning to redshirt him this year, because the next two years he will be NEEDED. This year he wasn't really needed.

I actually would have liked to have seen them play Jackson this year and have had Bullard at the TE position in short yardage situations like in previous years. That would have been far more affective than having Downs try and throw a key block and get blown up just about every time.

Reactions: 1 person
I actually would have liked to have seen them play Jackson this year and have had Bullard at the TE position in short yardage situations like in previous years. That would have been far more affective than having Downs try and throw a key block and get blown up just about every time.

Normal years I would agree with that. RSing Jackson was looking toward year 3, which is much more important than year 1. Lots of backup OL could've been used as a TE in certain situations had the staff wanted to do that.

Normal years I would agree with that. RSing Jackson was looking toward year 3, which is much more important than year 1. Lots of backup OL could've been used as a TE in certain situations had the staff wanted to do that.

Good point. It wouldn't have necessarily had to have been Bullard in there. I'm still baffled why they didn't put a 6th Olineman in there at TE in short yardage situations. Kerbyson, anyone would have done a far more affective job.

Good point. It wouldn't have necessarily had to have been Bullard in there. I'm still baffled why they didn't put a 6th Olineman in there at TE in short yardage situations. Kerbyson, anyone would have done a far more affective job.

Agreed. We were hamstrung by the TE position more than most people realize. In the passing and running games.

Your logic is faulty. Or you just wanna bicker.

If Jackson is SOOOO much better than Bullard and would have made THE difference in us being bowl eligible or not this year, then why hasn't he been starting over him for the past 3 years?? IMO, he and Bullard are comparable players (hopefully Jackson turns out to be a little better) so it is very good planning to redshirt him this year, because the next two years he will be NEEDED. This year he wasn't really needed.

By all accounts they were in a pretty dead heat during fall camp. The difference is Jackson is a couple years younger and could very easily end up a better OL than Bullard by his senior year. I would be surprised if we don't have an upgrade at that OL spot next season due to Jackson getting a year of development after more or less being on the same level as Bullard this year.

Agreed. We were hamstrung by the TE position more than most people realize. In the passing and running games.

I wonder about this. Was there not a kid out there somewhere with SEC size who could come in and be blocking TE for us?

By all accounts they were in a pretty dead heat during fall camp. The difference is Jackson is a couple years younger and could very easily end up a better OL than Bullard by his senior year. I would be surprised if we don't have an upgrade at that OL spot next season due to Jackson getting a year of development after more or less being on the same level as Bullard this year.

100% agree.

Johnson has excellent size and a great frame. He is tough inside 'backer that excels attacking downhill and on delayed blitzes. Great pass rush ability and athletic ability. If he keeps growing he will likely put his hand in the ground or come off the edge in a two-point stance.

Curt Maggit type of Linebacker.

Sorry guys, I'm late to the party! Been busy for a couple of days. Yeah, I know.. No excuse. But here's my BOOM!

:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

IMO the 2 best players on our defense are Brian Randolph and Cam Sutton. Both were 3*s. I'm just sayin' yawl...

It's not the evaluation that's been given by some for 2 straight seasons. It's that one faction evaluates him as a weak horrible player, and the other views him as All American. IMO his abilities have ALWAYS been somewhere in the middle.

Well, it's pretty much what I was saying anyways. History is in the posts, but I'd sure not spend the time sifting through some of my posting rubbish to look for it :eek:lol:

IMO the 2 best players on our defense are Brian Randolph and Cam Sutton. Both were 3*s. I'm just sayin' yawl...

So are you just sayin that we should fill up the roster with 3* s ? There are always exceptions but you can't assume that they are anything other than outliers. You sure can't compete in SEC with a bunch of them.

So are you just sayin that we should fill up the roster with 3* s ? There are always exceptions but you can't assume that they are anything other than outliers. You sure can't compete in SEC with a bunch of them.

I doubt that's what he was implying. He was simply saying stars don't always define the player.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back