'14 FL LB Jakob Johnson (UT Signee 2/5/14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
12720999.jpg

- Johnson with his HS coach

Reactions: 1 person
That's incorrect. Uzzi is Constatin Ritzmann who is a former Vol and trained Lawson and now trains '15 UT commit, Andrew Butcher. During Lawson's recruitment he gave updates on VQ but never once said he was going to be a Vol. Butch came close to landing Lawson but didn't. Uzzi only gave firsthand updates on what was happening behind the scenes. He never said Lawson was going to be a Vol. He was optimistic at times but mostly he said Auburn would be hard to beat.

Ron what do you think of this kid as a player?

A 310 lb bench isn't impressive for an 18 year old kid?

But to answer your question, I'd say where he's new to the states, not many Recruiting services have known about him too long. Now that he's pulling in offers, I think you'll see Scout, ESPN, and Rivals follow suit to 247.

He wasn't able to go to Rivals/247 camps or any other team camps so he's really under the radar. All you have to go off him by is his game tape.

Still a very impressive find by our staff. Bob Welton is paying off big time.

A 310 lb bench isn't impressive for an 18 year old kid?

But to answer your question, I'd say where he's new to the states, not many Recruiting services have known about him too long. Now that he's pulling in offers, I think you'll see Scout, ESPN, and Rivals follow suit to 247.

He wasn't able to go to Rivals/247 camps or any other team camps so he's really under the radar. All you have to go off him by is his game tape.

Still a very impressive find by our staff. Bob Welton is paying off big time.

I don't think so on the bench. I could be wrong though. That's about what we were doing coming out of high school in the mid 80's and I just assume that with the focus on training they have now these would be higher. I think he could be a good project and obviously 247 is impressed enough to rate him a 4*. I'm no talent scout but I am a bit concerned about the 4.8 40 as an SEC linebacker. AJ is a 4.6 and people think he's slow (I however do not).

Coach Thigpen offered him a scholarship on the spot after watching him play a couple months ago. And if Thig wants him, I want him.

Ok, I'm sold. Not that I wouldn't have been anyway. I have great trust in these coaches. Thanks Ron.

And the reason he's a 2 star on rivals is because he hasn't been evaluated yet. Whenever a new prospect pops up they assign them 2 stars until they are evaluated. They update quarterly (roughly). Their next update is later this month, I expect he'll get a nice bump.

247 also hadn't evaluated him until recently and just gave him his initial rating which is a 4 star.

The kid just moved to America in August so very few people knew of him. Many still don't. Our staff saw his film, went to his game and offered.

I don't think so on the bench. I could be wrong though. That's about what we were doing coming out of high school in the mid 80's and I just assume that with the focus on training they have now these would be higher. I think he could be a good project and obviously 247 is impressed enough to rate him a 4*. I'm no talent scout but I am a bit concerned about the 4.8 40 as an SEC linebacker. AJ is a 4.6 and people think he's slow (I however do not).

No way, no how is AJ a legit 4.6 guy. Put it this way, he better learn how to run before the combine or he's gonna be embarrassed IMO. As in Manti Teo embarrassed....

Why is it that he doesn't have offers from the Florida schools? Is it because he's just so new to the states and hasn't been noticed by them?

310 is fairly impressive for a 6'4" 18 yr old, IMO. Not that bench press numbers are the standard for finding football talent.

This kid is definitely raw, but seems to have some natural abilities. I have also been a little concerned with his speed, but there have been plenty of stud college LB's who couldn't run a 4.8 if their ass was on fire. I'd much rather have a 4.6 guy in the middle, but they don't grow on trees.

End of the day, I see this guy red-shirting and being developed into a SDE. Could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
Haha! I'm just posting the info I see on the pages. Dews is listed as a 5.something on his pages but was timed at UT camp at 4.5 or 4.6. I can't remember. That's why I was asking about this guy's 40. I agree that bench really means little as a benchmark for recruiting, but a good bench does help with keeping blockers off of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back