'18 TN OL Tanner Antonutti (UT signee)

Nothing professional about a college or pro locker room when the media is out. Usually a fun place but can get scary with situations like this.

Feel bad for Tanner. If he faces the “meatheads” straight on like a man, he has a chance to take his lumps and earn their respect. I’ve been there. Got out of line with the wrong guy and thought I was hot crap. Got jumped in locker room by 6 guys. Coaches didn’t break it up immediately but stepped in before I got hurt bad. Afterward, I was spoken to by the guy I disrespected. He took me in front of the team and I apologized. The same meatheads that beat me down picked me back up.

I learned a lot that day. Humbled.

In house discipline. A team handles situations internally.

He sung the song when he was with Bama. He's not now. Either you're with us, or you're not. I'd tell him to get out.

And you’re just a guy like me. Thank God we hired a guy to make good decisions. He’ll be just fine. :)

So when you make mistakes as a kid, you should expect to never suffer any consequences from your actions? All should be forgiven if you do or say something stupid?

“Suffer”? Is that needed? Depends on the damage. Otherwise, nothing to FORGIVE. Did he plow into a nursery while singing? Did he divulge state secrets? Was anybody’s REAL life affected by his singing in any form or fashion? Already know the answer. This will be a teaching moment...nothing else.

Reactions: 3 people
“Suffer”? Is that needed? Depends on the damage. Otherwise, nothing to FORGIVE. Did he plow into a nursery while singing? Did he divulge state secrets? Was anybody’s REAL life affected by his singing in any form or fashion? Already know the answer. This will be a teaching moment...nothing else.

In team scenarios, discipline, Espirit de Corps, and unity of effort is essential to a well oiled machine. For example, if one of my privates said f*** the Army and f*** the unit, one of my Junior NCOs would provide physical corrective action in the form of physical training to let them know that this behavior is unacceptable. Additionally, the private would be chastised for his bone headed comments for a little while.

In team scenarios, discipline, Espirit de Corps, and unity of effort is essential to a well oiled machine. For example, if one of my privates said f*** the Army and f*** the unit, one of my Junior NCOs would provide physical corrective action in the form of physical training to let them know that this behavior is unacceptable. Additionally, the private would be chastised for his bone headed comments for a little while.

I was in the military. I SIGNED UP for it. This is different. Gentle hazing and talking to is commiserate but there needs to be a let it die point. What he does or doesn’t do on the field needs to take precedence sooner rather than later.

I was in the military. I SIGNED UP for it. This is different. Gentle hazing and talking to is commiserate but there needs to be a let it die point. What he does or doesn’t do on the field needs to take precedence sooner rather than later.

I must've missed when Tanner was forced to play football at Tennessee and didn't just "sign up for it"

Nothing professional about a college or pro locker room when the media is out. Usually a fun place but can get scary with situations like this.

Feel bad for Tanner. If he faces the “meatheads” straight on like a man, he has a chance to take his lumps and earn their respect. I’ve been there. Got out of line with the wrong guy and thought I was hot crap. Got jumped in locker room by 6 guys. Coaches didn’t break it up immediately but stepped in before I got hurt bad. Afterward, I was spoken to by the guy I disrespected. He took me in front of the team and I apologized. The same meatheads that beat me down picked me back up.

I learned a lot that day. Humbled.

Lot of “were you a dominant college athlete with pro aspirations?” In the posts I responded to. If this board goes private only to coaches and college athletes, it’s going to drop a HUGE number of posters. I love sports, that’s why I’m here. I don’t need to be talked down to and stay in my place because I’m JUST A FAN. Take the fans away and athletes are playing in front of immediate family with nary a television camera in sight.

I must've missed when Tanner was forced to play football at Tennessee and didn't just "sign up for it"

You don’t know the difference between the military and scholarship athletics?

Lot of “were you a dominant college athlete with pro aspirations?” In the posts I responded to. If this board goes private only to coaches and college athletes, it’s going to drop a HUGE number of posters. I love sports, that’s why I’m here. I don’t need to be talked down to and stay in my place because I’m JUST A FAN. Take the fans away and athletes are playing in front of immediate family with nary a television camera in sight.

You talk down to everyone who doesn't share your enlightened view

Reactions: 6 people

I would lump physical training and giving him s**t about his comments as gentle hazing. I’m not advocating a beat down. Just a good workout and heckling. It’s an issue that the leaders of the team should handle. Additionally, they should take the kid under their wing and teach him what’s right. Being an OL, he needs to be able to gel with his team mates. That’s why this needs to be handled by them.

You talk down to everyone who doesn't share your enlightened view

It shouldn’t be considered “enlightened”. Just grounded in reality. I’m probably a little nastier than I need to be because I detest football mob bullies.

You don’t know the difference between the military and scholarship athletics?

Another weak argument by you. Dismissing an analogy that also shares a fair amount of similarities just because it doesn't help your point. smh.

I would lump physical training and giving him s**t about his comments as gentle hazing. I’m not advocating a beat down. Just a good workout and heckling. It’s an issue that the leaders of the team should handle. Additionally, they should take the kid under their wing and teach him what’s right. Being an OL, he needs to be able to gel with his team mates. That’s why this needs to be handled by them.

Then we agree. Go Bears!

Reactions: 1 person

I signed up for it too. And re-enlisted multiple times. Point is, this is a teaching moment that can build him into the team or ostracize him to where he transfers. If there are good leaders and he accepts he made a mistake, all will turn out well.

I just don't care about this. He's a project and if he starts in the next 2 years we are in real trouble. By 2022 when he is most likely at the point of haicing a chance to contribute this will be old news

I signed up for it too. And re-enlisted multiple times. Point is, this is a teaching moment that can build him into the team or ostracize him to where he transfers. If there are good leaders and he accepts he made a mistake, all will turn out well.

I don’t think we’re really disagreeing and I’m guessing that Tanner knows more than any of us what an error this was. As long as he and the team get to resolve it without us howling from the peanut gallery, it WILL turn out well. :)

Reactions: 2 people

I just sang a song. I'm not gonna say exactly who it should offend but it is a lot. The only difference is nobody saw it. Nobody saw all the stupid things kids did before smart phones. Just because the technology exists doesn't mean kids are gonna stop doing stupid stuff. We can either get over it and let the coaches handle it or we can try and get a bulk discount on ulcer medication as we obsess needlessly over every little stupid thing kids do.

VN Store

Back