2020 Presidential Race

Yes it will. Nothing changes until enough states sign on.
uhm what? a different state should not vote its own way because of people not in that state? you aren't even just bypassing the electoral college, you are bypassing any shred of democracy.

think of this on a personal level. You are with 50 people, a good chunk of which you don't like or agree with. 26 of them vote that Sweet Home Alabama replaces Rocky Top in Neyland stadium. You think you, or someone else, should vote yes as well just because the majority did?

uhm what? a different state should not vote its own way because of people not in that state? you aren't even just bypassing the electoral college, you are bypassing any shred of democracy.

think of this on a personal level. You are with 50 people, a good chunk of which you don't like or agree with. 26 of them vote that Sweet Home Alabama replaces Rocky Top in Neyland stadium. You think you, or someone else, should vote yes as well just because the majority did?

Let’s try this again. For now, they will award electoral votes the same way. This only takes effect when enough states sign on, at which point all American votes for president will have equal weight, which is how it should be.

Which of my arguments did I contradict?

By following the will of the American people?

Well, let's see. You claim it's the "will" of the voters. The Colorado Governor just stated he would award his State's electoral votes to the national popular vote winner...

Regardless of who actually wins his State in the general election. So, he's basically going against the will of his own voters if his State actually votes for the "losing" candidate.

But that's okay, right?

Yes. Even if they don’t like the outcome, plenty of people agree the popular vote should decide the presidency.

Basically, you're saying the Governor isn't following the will of the voters if he can "assign" his EC votes to whichever candidate wins on the national level. Screw his state, all that matters is the popular vote.

Basically, you're saying the Governor isn't following the will of the voters if he can "assign" his EC votes to whichever candidate wins on the national level. Screw his state, all that matters is the popular vote.
He can’t “assign” anything. Right now, nothing changes. It only matters if enough states sign on, at which point the electoral college is effectively dead (although I’m sure there would be some court challenges).

So a state law can overrule the federal election system? That is surprising... but them I'm just an engineer, not a lawyer...

I'm and engineer, too; and every time a lawyer "explains" the basis for a legal decision, I'm completely amazed at the twisted logic. "Grasping" would be way too kind a word to describe their special kind of lunacy. All I can say is, it's a damn good thing that engineers - not lawyers - design stuff that our lives depend on.

You could be right on that. Colorado is turning into Cali-lite ... without the oceanfront.
It’s more than that. The vote of someone in Colorado counts less than that of someone in Wyoming. Just like the vote of a Tennessean counts more than that of a Californian. Does anyone thinks that’s fair?

hA1812247

I'm and engineer, too; and every time a lawyer "explains" the basis for a legal decision, I'm completely amazed at the twisted logic. "Grasping" would be way too kind a word to describe their special kind of lunacy. All I can say is, it's a damn good thing that engineers - not lawyers - design stuff that our lives depend on.
I'm with you on all of that.

It’s more than that. The vote of someone in Colorado counts less than that of someone in Wyoming. Just like the vote of a Tennessean counts more than that of a Californian. Does anyone thinks that’s fair?
so how does removing the value of individual Coloradan's votes fix that?

do what Maine does and split the votes. if they have 5 and 60% vote for Candidate A, Candidate A gets 3 votes.
you (they) are throwing the baby out with the bath water.

so how does removing the value of individual Coloradan's votes fix that?
It only comes into force when enough states sign up to decide the election. So that effectively would make the presidential election determined by popular vote.

do what Maine does and split the votes. if they have 5 and 60% vote for Candidate A, Candidate A gets 3 votes.
you (they) are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
That doesn’t change the imbalance per state.

VN Store

Back