2023 NCAA Post Season (HOSTING) Discussion Thread - Merged

Will the Vols make it to NCAA Tournament in 2023

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All I know is that last year their fans had an obsession with UT baseball. It was not healthy.
The commentator on ESPN who delightedly spread the false and defamatory wish-cast about steroids use (or whatever he claimed) on air was an Arky guy, too. He waited to apologize until 3 a.m. or some time when viewership was roughly 100 people.

Selection of the eight super regional hosts will be announced on www.NCAA.com/mcws, Tuesday, June 6 at 10 a.m. (ET).

b. Selection of Host Sites.
1) Regional.
a) Site must meet a $50,000 minimum financial guarantee (75% of net receipts).
b) Quality and availability of the facility.
c) Revenue potential. d) Attendance history and potential.
e) Geographical location.
f) Championships operating costs.
g) Lights are highly recommended.
h) Previous crowd control and behavior of the prospective host institution.

2) Super Regional.
a) Site must meet a $35,000 minimum financial guarantee (75% of net receipts).
b) Consideration should be given to the higher seed, if a suitable hosting proposal has been received.
c) If the match-up is between two equally seeded teams, the committee will look at the quality and availability of the facility, revenue potential and other available accommodations to determine the host.
d) Lights are highly recommended.
e) Previous crowd control and behavior of the prospective host institution

2020 ABCA Convention Annual Report (ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com)

Last edited:
The current hosting process seems really antiquated. I guess they don't want to publish an S-Curve because a lot of their regional matchups are geography based, and then people would have something they can point to to say how unbalanced a particular regional is. But you have to have some type of objective measurement in place to determine who gets to host super regionals. It can't be this which-school-grovels-at-the-feet-of-the-NCAA-best process. If they have Southern Miss higher on their S-Curve than Tennessee, fine. I can live with that. They're obviously a good team, and we have serious warts on our resume this year. But it should never be based on seating capacity or something like that unless you go with a neutral site approach like basketball.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Amazing that none of the national seeds from the SEC have advanced.

In fairness to LSU, they have yet to lose.

Arkansas and Florida are facing elimination and Vanderbilt is done.

Who takes the mound today for the Gators?

My brother has also lived in NW Arkansas for years now, and there is a strange hatred those fans have for UT. Don’t know why and it’s been longer than Vitello being in Knoxville. Maybe Clint Stoerner?
I live in Fort Smith (on the Oklahoma line). It started in 1971 with the Liberty Bowl. The pigs were convinced that they got screwed by the officials. They had some justification. Before that, half of Arkansans couldn't find Tennessee on a map.

Reactions: VolGee4 and KptVFL
The current hosting process seems really antiquated. I guess they don't want to publish an S-Curve because a lot of their regional matchups are geography based, and then people would have something they can point to to say how unbalanced a particular regional is. But you have to have some type of objective measurement in place to determine who gets to host super regionals. It can't be this which-school-grovels-at-the-feet-of-the-NCAA-best process. If they have Southern Miss higher on their S-Curve than Tennessee, fine. I can live with that. They're obviously a good team, and we have serious warts on our resume this year. But it should never be based on seating capacity or something like that unless you go with a neutral site approach like basketball.
All I can say is “Go Quakers.” Us being the team that was directly responsible for the NCAA rules changes this off-season indicates, at least to me, that we just might not win that host site battle. I think there are enough on that committee who have a bias against Tennessee, which will get Southern Miss selected. We shall see.

The commentator on ESPN who delightedly spread the false and defamatory wish-cast about steroids use (or whatever he claimed) on air was an Arky guy, too. He waited to apologize until 3 a.m. or some time when viewership was roughly 100 people.

That one will always burn me up.

Throwing that on top of everything Evan Russell was dealing with that weekend still makes he hope that commentator steps on a lego.

All I can say is “Go Quakers.” Us being the team that was directly responsible for the NCAA rules changes this off-season indicates, at least to me, that we just might not win that host site battle. I think there are enough on that committee who have a bias against Tennessee, which will get Southern Miss selected. We shall see.

If Southern Miss wins today and hosts, it will not be because of a bias against Tennessee. It will be because Southern Miss earned it. Both Tennessee and Southern Miss have earned it, but only one can host. To say Southern Miss only hosts because of a Tennessee bias misses how good of a program Southern Miss has.

If Southern Miss wins today and hosts, it will not be because of a bias against Tennessee. It will be because Southern Miss earned it. Both Tennessee and Southern Miss have earned it, but only one can host. To say Southern Miss only hosts because of a Tennessee bias misses how good of a program Southern Miss has.

One could make the argument that baseball is the biggest sport on that campus and in that town. Longtime traditional baseball school.

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol

Right on point. With the money involved these days (I do realize the smaller programs can still struggle), geography should not be emphasized as much. They can still follow some geographical boundaries with seeds 3 and 4, but it is ridiculous that there is not a set ranking to determine it.

You’d think at some point common sense would come into play when two teams are equal and are close in rankings and RPI with both facilities having hosted before , it just looks to me like the team that beats the higher national seed should get to host , our RPI should have taken a much bigger jump than USM’s , Tn is responsible for that region even having an opportunity to host , oh well we know the NCAA does very little that involves common sense

Just because they have had a good program doesn't mean that they should host this year. It's subjective- that's the point. Bias is almost always brought into a subjective decision.

As I have stated previously, I was with a MLB scout at the 2021 CWS. He graduated from an SEC school (but not UT). He said that UT being great at baseball is great for the game because of the passionate and untapped fan base. Again, there is no objective data to point to that would make this decision. So, a group of people are going to decide.

You might want to check the RPI, SOS, resume, and the fact that Tennessee clearly performed better than Southern Miss even though we had a tougher regional. I think there is some bias against Tennessee, and most would agree.

You’d think at some point common sense would come into play when two teams are equal and are close in rankings and RPI with both facilities having hosted before , it just looks to me like the team that beats the higher national seed should get to host , our RPI should have taken a much bigger jump than USM’s , Tn is responsible for that region even having an opportunity to host , oh well we know the NCAA does very little that involves common sense

I think it comes down to RPI vs. Conference championship win, what does the committee weight those things as? We shall see.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Just learned and not sure if discussed prior, bids were submitted before regional play begins, changing the bids are happening on both sides however changes might not be considered, announcement should be around 9:00 PM tonight.

See above...How good is Southern Miss? Ever been to Hattiesburg MS and with all the other factors playing into it as well, Knoxville is the better choice for a broadcast crew to get into and it is a better environment as well. Our Team is in the SEC which could be a +/- but I look at it as a disadvantage. Seating Capacity is only 300 different but Southern Miss can go up to a 6700 Capacity. It may well be a wash but the environment at Tennessee will be head and shoulders above USM. Maybe the committee looks at their initial seating and gives us the benefit of the doubt as we were seeded incorrectly and won the regional. Who do you want at Omaha, Tennessee or USM?

VN Store

Back