2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been lurking for a little while and love the discussion over here so I finally joined. My thoughts after digging into these guys and watching the films of the 4 guys we seem to be in deepest with. Ranked in order of want for me.

1. Chaz Lanier: Love his game. He’s got a very quick release and some game off the dribble with decent explosion to the rim. I could see him doing really well running the baseline and coming around off the ball screens because he can catch and get his shot off quickly, and love the efficiency. I’d be surprised if he didn’t start, and maybe even be our leading scorer.

2a. Saint Thomas - Just an all around solid player. Good rebounder, good passer, solid game off the dribble for a player his size. Scores at all 3 levels. Nice high quick release on his shot, although not overly efficient. Average athlete and not sure how strong he is, but he could likely carve out a solid role imo. Maybe a starter, maybe a 6th or 7th man imo.

2b. Cade Tyson: As an off the ball shooter I would much prefer him over Dubar. Below average athlete, but has high decently quick release and a little bit of ability to score off the dribble. I could see him being a solid contributor with his ability to come off off ball screens and hit shots. Most likely a solid role player off the bench imo.

3. Dubar: I’m surprised we are bringing him in on an OV. He is very efficient I’ll give him that. But he has a very slow release on his shot, and I don’t see much athleticism or explosion to the rim. Most of his points down low appear to be from using his body. Not sure how replicable that is for a guy his size in the SEC. Also, most of his points from the outside come from spot up 3’s. Seems like he feasted on shorter guards sloughing off too much. SEC scouting won’t allow for that. Defenders will be crowding him and if he can’t make plays off the dribble (see image below), and he has a hard time getting his shot off due to a slow release then what will he really add to the team? His rebounding numbers are average for a guy his size at that level. Maybe he’s an elite defender? I’m not sure what it is that the staff sees in him on the tape to make him such an early priority.

View attachment 633514
Thanks

This is my hope. You almost have to get to a point where players are signing contracts that bind them, and you can't do that until the schools and collective can at least pretend like they're cooperating together.
I’ve heard a few workarounds including performance bonuses, backloaded deals and a commitment to geographic location, without necessarily being committed to the school. I think what is more likely is that the schools will pay a salary that has a term, and the collective will make deals based on the commitment term. Who knows… Obviously conference heads and university boards feel what we feel. The current state isn’t good for the sport.

Hey it's like Calipari one and done every season now..Guess he was way ahead of everyone.
Shat stinks
Everyone needs to shift their mindset now in the portal era, its a business decision now and not committing to a University for 4 years anymore. 50-60% roster turnover each year will be the norm now.

I’ve heard a few workarounds including performance bonuses, backloaded deals and a commitment to geographic location, without necessarily being committed to the school. I think what is more likely is that the schools will pay a salary that has a term, and the collective will make deals based on the commitment term. Who knows… Obviously conference heads and university boards feel what we feel. The current state isn’t good for the sport.
Tying deals to geographic location without reference to the school (through required local appearances) is already happening. Performance bonuses are not legal. These are still technically "endorsement" deals. They are not per contract language paid for playing. If I understand correctly.

Tying deals to geographic location without reference to the school (through required local appearances) is already happening. Performance bonuses are not legal. These are still technically "endorsement" deals. They are not per contract language paid for playing. If I understand correctly.

You’re right. Referring to future structures, not current. There is a legal debate that on one side makes the claim that winning increases the value of NIL. That is the theoretical workaround. Beyond appearances, there is discussion of other geographical terms. Strange times.

Reactions: Orange.
This is why rumors are crap and stupid. No better source to what Jahmai is going to do than his mom. At this point it may just be Aidoo leaving, and I think we should treat it that way.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, she didn't deny anything SF or BTO has said. She didn't say "he isn't leaving" or that he isn't even considering it. She just said he'll be the one to tell you if he does.

That's a name I haven't thought of for a long time. Holmes, Keith Lee, William Bedord, Vincent Askew, Andre Turner, etc.....that was a great team in the old Metro conference. Games against Louisville were classics.
Memphis had some great teams back then. Those guys plus Dwight Boyd, DeWayne Bailey, and Philip “Doom” Haynes. Elliott Perry came a couple years later and was also a heck of a player.

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
I am a Vols fan. Players will always come and go, I'll appreciate the ones who pick Tennessee. However, I'm a fan of Tennessee and as long as the Tennessee Vols field a team and I'm alive, my enjoyment won't change just based on who is in the uniform.

I also find the bemoaning of transfers a bit hypocritical in a thread where we're loving news about potential transfers coming here. Especially in light of what we just got from Knecht.

I don't disagree, but to be fair, she didn't deny anything SF or BTO has said. She didn't say "he isn't leaving" or that he isn't even considering it. She just said he'll be the one to tell you if he does.
From everybody on this board today I think it’s a forgone conclusion that Aidoo probably leaves. Mashack, however, seems less likely to leave to me. Thats just my opinion though.

VN Store

Back