2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Yup he is U of L bound. Supposedly his old high school coach is an assistant there now.

There's no way to prove it but Basilio said he made $400k here last year which is nuts!
He does have alot of autographed basketball cards out by Bowman and Onit - which isnt bad for a reserve player

Personally I think Tyson would be best coming off the bench, no reason Mashack should come off the bench, he should be guarding the best player on the court. This is assuming we get 3 wings out the portal.
Agree with this. From what I’ve gathered Tyson may not be good enough defensively to play starters minutes for Barnes.

And yes Mashack finally needs to get the minutes he deserves this year. After Zeigler he should probably be on the floor more than anybody else next season imo.

Made this list for you all, based off of the guys that @bleedingTNorange said we have made contact with. Great info and thank you!

Btw I hope the Awaka & coaches meeting goes well today and hope to see his return. His return would give us our 3rd most overall efficient player based on advanced stats and a potential all SEC selection in a starting role as a double-double guy. Staying out of foul trouble is key but he's capable of pulling off 23-25 minutes a game...

And question: is there any validity behind the rumors of Awaka not being too fond of Aidoo lol? I mean Awaka is super serious & Aidoo is the polar opposite fun outgoing and goofy. Any truth behind that? I'd hate to hear there was dissention between them...
I can imagine a scenario where Awaka would be massively frustrated with the God-given talent Aidoo has without the mindset and work ethic Awaka has. Not saying that's at all the case.

of course now I think if only we could hire Dr. Frankenstein to put the two together into 1 unstoppable center.

Personally I think Tyson would be best coming off the bench, no reason Mashack should come off the bench, he should be guarding the best player on the court. This is assuming we get 3 wings out the portal.
I agree. Mashack can affect the game with even shooting a shot!

I'll take it a step further... 6 out 8 of the 1st team All-SEC team were at one point transfers.

Sears -- Ohio
Reeves -- Illinois State
Johni Broome -- Morehead State
Dalton Knecht -- Northern Colorado
Tolu Smith -- WKU (only 1 year there but still a transfer)
Zyon Pullin -- UC Riverside
Second Team:
Walter Clayton Jr. -- Iona
Ta'Lon Cooper -- Morehead/Minnesota
Meechie Johnson -- Ohio State

Defensive Team:
Broome -- Morehead
Andersson Garcia -- Miss State

That doesn't even include Grant Nelson who really came alive in the NCAA tournament and made All Tournament honorable mention.

If you look at Bleacher Report's All Tournament Teams. 2nd Team:
Knecht -- Northern CO
DJ Burns - TN/Winthrop
Terrance Shannon Jr -- Texas Tech
The other 2 were true freshmen. (McClain and Castle)
1st Team:
DJ Horne -- Illinois State/Arizona State
Mark Sears -- Ohio
Tristen Newton -- East Carolina
The other two were Edey and Clingan

Last edited:
Their plan seems to be both, but I don’t know if that holds.
There seems to be less chatter about Dubar since Tyson committed to coming in this weekend, which is why I asked. Thought maybe it had shifted to become an either/or scenario with Tyson being the preferred option.

There seems to be less chatter about Dubar since Tyson committed to coming in this weekend, which is why I asked. Thought maybe it had shifted to become an either/or scenario with Tyson being the preferred option.
If it is either/or, and I'm not saying it is, but I'd go with Tyson. Dubar's shooting form makes me a little nervous. Having said that, he's hit 40% 2 years straight so clearly it's working for him.

Idk why we would turn any attention away from Dubar. We have 6 open scholarships. I think they would function well together.
It was a reasonable question. They are similar body types/roles and keeping Mashack is important too. I hope/believe they are both fits but either of them or we could disagree and spoil that vision.

If it is either/or, and I'm not saying it is, but I'd go with Tyson. Dubar's shooting form makes me a little nervous. Having said that, he's hit 40% 2 years straight so clearly it's working for him.
Same concerns about Dubar. Shot release is really slow and he isn't super athletic, either. Nothing definite, but I could see his game not fully translating.

Same concerns about Dubar. Shot release is really slow and he isn't super athletic, either. Nothing definite, but I could see his game not fully translating.
I know people get caught up on the athleticism part, which is understandable, but if you watched UCONN in the championship game Karaban and Spencer aren't freak athletes, but they are very skilled and know how to play. Skill and basketball IQ can cover up for a little less athleticism. You would be hard-pressed to find a better athlete than D.J. Jefferson, but on top of the off the court issues, I'm betting not having a feel for how to play and a lack of skill (dribble, pass, and shoot) kept him from getting on the floor or being a long-term option here.

I know people get caught up on the athleticism part, which is understandable, but if you watched UCONN in the championship game Karaban and Spencer aren't freak athletes, but they are very skilled and know how to play. Skill and basketball IQ can cover up for a little less athleticism. You would be hard-pressed to find a better athlete than D.J. Jefferson, but on top of the off the court issues, I'm betting not having a feel for how to play and a lack of skill (dribble, pass, and shoot) kept him from getting on the floor or being a long-term option here.
Just gotta have smart players. That’s what Cam Spencer is. One of the highest basketball IQs in the country

That's fair, but I think it's also fair to question how athletic Karaban and Spencer would seem against the level of competition that Hofstra play. That's the tough thing to translate. Neither guy is know for their athleticism, and there's a place for these guys in high-major basketball, obviously. They played a role and knew what it was. Dubar could certainly do that at the higher level, but the lack of athleticism is concerning if he finds it harder to get his shot off in contested situations against better athletes.

That's fair, but I think it's also fair to question how athletic Karaban and Spencer would seem against the level of competition that Hofstra play. That's the tough thing to translate.
Translated for Spencer pretty easily. He played at Loyola-MD.

If you’re a baller, you’re a baller.

Dubar played 14 games and started 7 at Iowa State. I’m not worried about either

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back