2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Translated for Spencer pretty easily. He played at Loyola-MD.

If you’re a baller, you’re a baller.

Dubar played 14 games and started 7 at Iowa State. I’m not worried about either
I wouldn't say I'm worried, per se. Just that I think that it may be a valid concern when combined with his other potential shortcomings. He may come in and ramp his game up for all I know.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
That's fair, but I think it's also fair to question how athletic Karaban and Spencer would seem against the level of competition that Hofstra play. That's the tough thing to translate. Neither guy is know for their athleticism, and there's a place for these guys in high-major basketball, obviously. They played a role and knew what it was. Dubar could certainly do that at the higher level, but the lack of athleticism is concerning if he finds it harder to get his shot off in contested situations against better athletes.
I have seen Tyson play in person and he is plenty athletic enough! Not a freak athlete, but a very good athlete who get even more explosive/stronger at Tennessee working with Coach G in the weight room. Knecht added weight and got even more explosive in the short time he was here. Same would happen with Dubar as long as they put in the work, and my guess is with both of those guys Barnes isn't bringing them in if they don't have the type of work ethic he expects from his players.

Translated for Spencer pretty easily. He played at Loyola-MD.

If you’re a baller, you’re a baller.

Dubar played 14 games and started 7 at Iowa State. I’m not worried about either
Spencer has a diverse skillset. Can make plays off the dribble. I don’t see that with Dubar.

Tyson not so much either, but he is at least has a good shot fake and ability to hit shots off the dribble. His highlights show him making shots on the move more than Dubar.

As I posted yesterday, Dubar is in the 9th percentile in shooting off the dribble. When you feast on spot ups and your release is really slow that’s a concern for me.

Same concerns about Dubar. Shot release is really slow and he isn't super athletic, either. Nothing definite, but I could see his game not fully translating.
His gaudy numbers against the best competition he’s faced makes me feel better about that, and being 6’8” should help with a slightly lower release

I think they 100% coexist, to me Dubar is a 4 or even small ball 5, I see Tyson as a 3 and probably a 2 before a 4.
Is Tyson good enough defensively to play the 3? He plays the 4 at Belmont. I’d be worried we would be way too slow defensively with Tyson on the floor along with a 4 and 5 man.

ZZ
Mashack or Gainey
Tyson
Dubar
Awaka or Estrella

I envision that lineup really struggling defensively. I don’t think you could have Dubar and Tyson on the floor at the same time. I think both would have to play the 4.

Is Tyson good enough defensively to play the 3? He plays the 4 at Belmont. I’d be worried we would be way too slow defensively with Tyson on the floor along with a 4 and 5 man.

ZZ
Mashack or Gainey
Tyson
Dubar
Awaka or Estrella

I envision that lineup really struggling defensively. I don’t think you could have Dubar and Tyson on the floor at the same time. I think both would have to play the 4.
Dubar is thought to be a plus defender, don’t forget Knecht came in with the same defensive question marks

He's a guy that can be out there with Awaka in the lineup "if he returns" ... I like how he can stretch the floor
This. I don’t get the meh. He’d probably be fine coming off the bench and he’s a PF that’s a great shooter. Went to uva so imagine he plays defense. Would be a great bench post it would seem

Same but he said we were good to post so I dropped it in here haha
How good is this guy? 38% from 3 for a 6’10” guy is impressive. So, hypothetically, you trade Aidoo for Milicic, get Awaka back, Dubar is a replacement for JJJ, Tyson would be a less athletic replacement for Knecht, Lanier(if he does indeed enter the portal) is a Vescovi replacement. Would be a solid haul IF we can get these guys.

Reactions: HeadVol77
This. I don’t get the meh. He’d probably be fine coming off the bench and he’s a PF that’s a great shooter. Went to uva so imagine he plays defense. Would be a great bench post it would seem
Yup…everyone wants to get star struck in the portal, considering the current roster situation I think you take him and don’t ask twice.

VN Store

Back