2024 Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God, Maria again? I thought she was in exile for a while over spreading the Jon garbage. Makes sense. Maria has some personal axes to grind here I believe. I hope this change will signal the end of Maria's active LV involvement. It's time.
I’m not a huge Maria fan, but do we actually know this or are we just speculating wildly? Seems reasonable accounts would want to tweet/post about the Lady Vols since 1.) this hire was unexpected and 2.) the fan base is highly engaged.

Secretly hope CKC builds a roster of studs but makes ZERO announcements. Just drop the roster the first game of the season like a Beyoncé album.

Give the sports world something to talk about 😂

That is not how it works! Players announce their commitments and should be able to do so.

Who tweeted that? Certainly never heard that and she did committ to OSU pretty quickly, obviously the new Celeste Taylor. But if it was Sam being messy, AD was certainly messy back, or first, by releasing news of Sam's firing while she's on the way to the crowning moment of her LV career - Rickea's draft day. I hate if it's come to this, and really hate RJ's big day getting caught up in it. Please let it be just twitter garbage.

Sam's firing is a very tough one. Ordinarily, it would be a no brainer. You need to take firm control of the program and you certainly don't want to allow any divided loyalty btw old and new among the players. But in this particular situation w Sam's long and respected contact resources and the absolute absence of any of those w the new coach, this is just very tough. Maybe she could have stayed just 6 weeks to get us thru portal season as recruiting coordinator and not had hands on w the current players? Just seems so sad to throw away all her experience and contacts.

Before anyone says Sam wasn't successful here anyway that is absolutely incorrect. We made many top players final list and had multiple visits from several. Sam did her job. She also got, and kept Rickea not so long ago. Lord knows we were told enough times that recruiting was either an NIL problem or a Kellie problem. Not Sam. Sam's net was wide and effective.

Call me chicken little but if you can't see the portal is slipping thru our fingers I don't know what to tell you. Literally every day a couple of players who would be perfect for us is signing with another SEC team to play against us. I don't think some realize the speed recruiting happens at now. Not sure our new coach does. Did I hear correctly she wants to be her own recruiting coordinator? What could possibly go wrong?
Someone with sense! 😩🩵🧡

Reactions: AllVols3
I thought a new coach would get the best out of the players and get us to the top of the Sec? I’m just going on what people said on here.
And remember, it doesn’t matter if your best players have to miss some games, the strength of schedule certainly doesn’t matter, and it absolutely doesn’t matter that the last 3 NCAA National Champions are ranked 1 and 2 in the SEC conference. TN is supposed to always be first in our conference, or fire the Coach.

Looks like that is not going to happen. We'll now be looking to see what the roster looks like for next season. The current roster would finish about in the middle of the SEC no matter who is coaching.
Don’t see how anyone can say that. We have absolutely no idea how well Boyd and Cooper will play, and how well they’ll play with Wells, Avery, and Spear. If they can drive and make a layup, that’s an improvement over half of this year’s team.

I did friend, but I’m still here, can’t stay away from the show. I’m too invested and I need to see how this turns out! 😩 I’m an open hater and I’ve drawn my line in the sand….I’m here to troll at this point! 😂
What a relief! This is one of the reasons I cyber like you, you do open hate and draw sand lines. Very admirable. I'm an open skeptic and a serial sky is falling worrier. It's why we make a great team.
Don’t see how anyone can say that. We have absolutely no idea how well Boyd and Cooper will play, and how well they’ll play with Wells and Spear. If they can drive and make a layup, that’s an improvement over half of this year’s team.
Mid pack SEC and hopefully making the tourney was already the widely held assessment around here for next years team even before the coaching change. Espec without a vital portal haul. The SEC is getting much harder literally all the time. Unless CKC has magic pixie dust in her pocket, and with a big portal haul not looking good, that's probably a fair assessment.

But the AD sees it your way. He's ordered winning and competing for championships in year one.

Last edited:
The VN/Twitter fanatics got their tails handed to them on Twitter this evening and now they are on here with their fake insider information and predictions that they think people come on here to see. This week for the UT WBB has been a positive one. The most intriguing WBB coach was hired by arguably the best AD in the SEC. If you can’t acknowledge that then there’s no point in having dialogue. Everything doesn’t have to be dramatic.

What a relief! This is one of the reasons I cyber like you, you do open hate and draw sand lines. Very admirable. I'm an open skeptic and a serial sky is falling worrier. It's why we make a great team.

Mid pack SEC and hopefully making the tourney was already the widely held assessment around here for next years team even before the coaching change. Espec without a vital portal haul. The SEC has is getting much harder literally all the time. Unless CKC has magic pixie dust in her pocket, and with a big portal haul not looking good, that's probably a fair assessment.

But the AD sees it your way. He's ordered winning and competing for championships in year one.
How rude, DW and I see nothing the same.

P

And we were good? Sorry but we just weren’t. No Jackson and we would have been sub .500 last season.

Horston recruited Jackson and Jackson recruited Spear. Without that Kellie would have been dead in the water 3 seasons ago.
You can’t do that. If you’re going to continue to bash Kellie with what ifs, then I’ll continue to sing her praises, for instance, how she was hired late, so no recruiting for the first year, then how the second year was Covid with No face to face visits at school or their homes. (This didn’t effect Coaches who had already been recruiting players.) Now finally, with 3 years of creating relationships, which you want to discount, it’s all for nothing. Winning without your best players means nothing. Beating SC and LSU means nothing. Well, you got what you wanted, we’ll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Horston recruited Jackson and Jackson recruited Spear. Without that Kellie would have been dead in the water 3 seasons ago.
Millionth time. Horston and Jackson knew ea other fm Midwest AAU and were part of a group that took visits together in 2019 including Zia Cooke and Boston. Their moms are friends. All that helped. But RJ has said several times it was her longstanding relationship w Sam that got her here, plus an already existing relationship since middle school w JP.

And Spear was recruited by Sam and Kellie, and committed on the spot and cancelled all other visits. No problem closing with her, ditto w Wells who committed on the spot. Jewel has said one thing that attracted her was playing with Rickea, though both have said they'd barely met when they roomed together at USA Camp last summer. Rickea did not recruit her except by reputation.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever deny that Sam and Kellie recruited the portal very well. That just wasn't enough bc hs recruiting sucked so completely.

Millionth time. Horston and Jackson knew ea other fm Midwest AAU and were part of a group that took visits together in 2019 including Zia Cooke and Boston. Their moms are friends. All that helped. But RJ has said several times it was her longstanding relationship w Sam that got her here, plus an already existing relationship since middle school w JP.

And Spear was recruited by Sam and Kellie, and committed on the spot and cancelled all other visits. No problem closing with her, ditto w Wells who committed on the spot. Jewel has said one thing that attracted her was playing with Rickea, though both have said they'd barely met when they roomed together at USA Camp last summer. Rickea did not recruit her except by reputation.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever deny that Sam and Kellie recruited the portal very well. That just wasn't enough bc hs recruiting sucked so completely.

I do feel sad for Kellie and her staff that they never got to coach their two most outstanding high school commits, Nyla and Finley,

Because of them it looked to me like the high school recruiting had a chance of picking up at some point, but now we'll never know. Kellie didn't get commits from many high schoolers, but she got at least three highly rated players in Pissott, Brooks and Chastain. It didn't actually suck "completely." 🥹

I do feel sad for Kellie and her staff that they never got to coach their two most outstanding high school commits, Nyla and Finley,

Because of them it looked to me like the high school recruiting had a chance of picking up at some point, but now we'll never know. Kellie didn't get commits from many high schoolers, but she got at least three highly rated players in Pissott, Brooks and Chastain. It didn't actually suck "completely." 🥹
There seemed to be alot of uncertainty in hs recruting strategy. They took a class of 30-50ish type players (our current Srs.) and got alot of blow back for it. Next tried a strategy of being super picky and focusing on a few elites, which they were able to get in on and get multiple visits from, but no closing for whatever reasons.

DeerPark, who usually knows whereof he speaks, said looking back that pickiness proved to be their undoing bc it left a roster wildly unbalanced with holes and with over reliance on older players from the portal. Which DW understandbly didn't like. And for which the new staff will now pay. We literally have only 4 players after next season.

We don't know to what degree NIL was involved but seemed like they could never get out of their own way. Also, winning just a freakin few of those big, close games might have gotten them over the elite hump. But not to be in the end.

Well Kellie left behind ZERO HS signees, because of course she did, and everybody in the 2024 class is already off the board anyway. So yeah, it’s pretty obvious that all the recruiting this year will have to be through the portal.
I'm just curious if Nyla or Finley recommit, will people be calling them Kellie's recruits for the next X amount of years. Same goes for Cooper and Boyd.

Reactions: glv98

From DeerPark12 in The Contract thread:

You can view as an excuse or not, but the reality was that they were consistently outbid the last two years for high school players. Do you think it’s just a coincidence that Tennessee finished in the top two or three for seven different players the last two years?

Well Kellie left behind ZERO HS signees, because of course she did, and everybody in the 2024 class is already off the board anyway. So yeah, it’s pretty obvious that all the recruiting this year will have to be through the portal.
What does Kellie have to do with next season. She is not the coach anymore. The new coach has to recruit her own type of player. She may not want the previous coach’s recruits. She also has the transfer portal to get her type of players ( see LSU national championship) She can keep/fire some or all previous assistants Or current players, the choice is hers. But whatever she decides, the credit or blame is hers alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back