2024 Transfer Portal

I feel like Kent has leaned in to his decades long reputation of just being a jerk. It’s almost like when he knows the camera is on him he feels he’s gotta play the part. There is also the strong possibility he just really is a jerk and it’s all natural. I can’t imagine my son launching a homer on the CWS and not reacting in the least. Looked like he was holding in gas.
You're right about Kent. I think it is different for people who have played the game at the highest level though. They think about how much time/innings are left before celebrating. Kent could just be an ***hole, but remember Archie and Eli's reaction when the Broncos clinched the Superbowl.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
You're right about Kent. I think it is different for people who have played the game at the highest level though. They think about how much time/innings are left before celebrating. Kent could just be an ***hole, but remember Archie and Eli's reaction when the Broncos clinched the Superbowl.

True

Yeah, just like in bball, I think we will be ecstatic. Although, I’m still sad we’ve seen the last of some of these guys who are off to MLB.
The number of guys we likely lose, I expect we'll take a step back next year. Not saying we'll be bad, just not quite as good as this team. But that's just part of the college game. You can't expect to replace almost all the starters and have the same kind of season. Hopefully people will just be patient as this team goes through some growing pains.

And like I said before, I'm not panicking. Just having a conversation. It'll be interesting to see what we get from the portal, who will step up that's already on the team, and who makes it in from HS that might have a chance to be an immediate contributor.

The number of guys we likely lose, I expect we'll take a step back next year. Not saying we'll be bad, just not quite as good as this team. But that's just part of the college game. You can't expect to replace almost all the starters and have the same kind of season. Hopefully people will just be patient as this team goes through some growing pains.

And like I said before, I'm not panicking. Just having a conversation. It'll be interesting to see what we get from the portal, who will step up that's already on the team, and who makes it in from HS that might have a chance to be an immediate contributor.
I expect this as well depending on the portal.

Need to hope Michael Earley doesn’t get the job or Grahvoac ain’t leaving. I think a lot of A&M players will stay if they hire him. So, root for a big boy to take it.

Great storyline for Earley if he's hired, goes from volunteer coach, to paid coach to head coach all within a year

I expect this as well depending on the portal.
The last 3 NCs (MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU) all took a huge step back the next year. The first 2 didn’t even make the NCAAT, and LSU didn’t make it out of the Regionals.

I think Tennessee can do better than that, especially if we land some portal studs and keep some top signees from going pro. But there’s a trend of taking a big dip the following season.

I can’t remember the process from last year. How long will it take most guys to make a decision that are in the portal? Will this play out another two weeks or longer?

Right now there’s a bit of an arms race at the top of the money heap. Much like in basketball, some big tradition programs are in panic mode and spending their way back. Texas and LSU are basically telling the top ten to twenty players that they can blow away any offer. It’s hard enough for a kid to accept 10% less to play at a program he loves. It gets much harder to ask them to take 50% less. This will level out, and we will get great players. Right now, it’s a bit of a mess until everyone gets their legs under them again after the coaching changes, market shifts etc. We are in it for the very top hitters now, and we have a bead on the pitchers coming in. Give it time. Our coaches and AD are the best they’ve ever been. Our ability to develop hitters is at the top of the market as is our pitching development. These kids need to understand themselves as a long term asset, not a one year payday. Texas and LSU are going to get their guys on their terms. We’ll get our guys on TV’s terms. Be patient.

The last 3 NCs (MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU) all took a huge step back the next year. The first 2 didn’t even make the NCAAT, and LSU didn’t make it out of the Regionals.

I think Tennessee can do better than that, especially if we land some portal studs and keep some top signees from going pro. But there’s a trend of taking a big dip the following season.
I get your point. However, 3 CWS in 4 years I think we could get back to Omaha.

Looking like a rebuilding year now. But after a natty, that’s fine. SEC baseball is so cutthroat that it’s almost impossible to be great every year.

A step back? I'm just hoping we make Hoover next season.

VN Store

Back