2024 Transfer Portal

Was looking at 64 Analytics for baseball portal rankings and Tanner Franklin is ranked 374….take that alllllllll day.

For reference Matthew Dallas is ranked 335.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It does feel like there is less star power in the portal this year. If you take the A&M players out of the equation (considering most just withdrew after the coaching change), it’s fairly light. Which is probably a good thing for the sport if this trend continues, but I do wonder if this is an outlier year or not.

It does feel like there is less star power in the portal this year. If you take the A&M players out of the equation (considering most just withdrew after the coaching change), it’s fairly light. Which is probably a good thing for the sport if this trend continues, but I do wonder if this is an outlier year or not.
I think it is more a reflection of settling back to the mean. The BaseVols serve as a model of perseverance, with Holman and Burns serving as poster children.

Think Fischer would be a corner OF candidate.

I don't know Jack but I think a potential lineup is:

C Peebles
1B Transfer
2B Killen
SS Antigua
3B Curley
LF Chapman
CF Ensley/Backus
RF Fischer
DH Bargo

Not quite the jump off the page team, but a very solid team that could show a ton of growth. Pitching, no clue.

The D-1 podcast this week touched on this. They said they believe the big schools were caught off-guard from an NIL standpoint when the stars of the last few years entered the portal (Montgomery, White, Amick were examples they used). They said it’s shaping up to be overall more equitable/balanced in that the smaller schools aren’t being robbed as much because the high majors aren’t having as many stars transfer amongst themselves wheee they need to replace them, and also because they’re (high majors) holding on to the top end of their rosters better, the guys who are seeing their playing potential dwindle are transferring down which gives them a shot to play (a win) and in theory improves the smaller schools rosters if they now have an ACC/SEC caliber player or 2 joining them.

C Peebles
1B Transfer
2B Killen
SS Antigua
3B Curley
LF Chapman
CF Ensley/Backus
RF Fischer
DH Bargo

Not quite the jump off the page team, but a very solid team that could show a ton of growth. Pitching, no clue.
The most reasonable part of this projection is the opening disclaimer. That has been a staple around the baseball forum for years.

It’s a tough sport to project due to the summer leagues and fall ball, two separate seasons yet to play out.

thought this was kinda funny

Liam Doyle... From an Ole Miss fan site.
Doyle's best two outings came against the two teams that played for the national championship. He allowed one run in six innings against Texas A&M and three earned runs in six innings at Tennessee. In those two games, he struck out 17 combined with one walk.

The D-1 podcast this week touched on this. They said they believe the big schools were caught off-guard from an NIL standpoint when the stars of the last few years entered the portal (Montgomery, White, Amick were examples they used). They said it’s shaping up to be overall more equitable/balanced in that the smaller schools aren’t being robbed as much because the high majors aren’t having as many stars transfer amongst themselves wheee they need to replace them, and also because they’re (high majors) holding on to the top end of their rosters better, the guys who are seeing their playing potential dwindle are transferring down which gives them a shot to play (a win) and in theory improves the smaller schools rosters if they now have an ACC/SEC caliber player or 2 joining them.
I think it is more a reflection of settling back to the mean. The BaseVols serve as a model of perseverance, with Holman and Burns serving as poster children.
Stated Mo’ betta with depth. Thank you, @AthensVol2007 !

Listened to McKee, Rucker, and Will Heflin on their podcast and McKee had a couple portal nuggets:

-Said UT could probably feel like they lead for Kilen but it’s not done yet
-Fischer from Ole Miss is a name to watch. Said it pretty emphatically as if he knew more than he could share.

Highly recommend their podcast if you haven’t listened before.

Listened to McKee, Rucker, and Will Heflin on their podcast and McKee had a couple portal nuggets:

-Fischer from Ole Miss is a name to watch. Said it pretty emphatically as if he knew more than he could share.

Definitely, could be worse news

Reactions: HeadVol77

No more COVID years.

Love Ben, but anything with Rucker is hard to listen to.

Would be interesting. Everything I’ve read said that would take a bit.
I got that feeling too, but maybe that’s in reference to Fischer, Doyle, and Patton. Kilen has been in the portal for a while and has already been on a visit to Knoxville so maybe that specific recruitment is in a later stage than expected. It has also been said already that it’s a 2 man race between UT and UF for Kilen so it wouldn’t shock me if he’s close to a commitment.

C Peebles
1B Transfer
2B Killen
SS Antigua
3B Curley
LF Chapman
CF Ensley/Backus
RF Fischer
DH Bargo

Liam Doyle... From an Ole Miss fan site.
Doyle's best two outings came against the two teams that played for the national championship. He allowed one run in six innings against Texas A&M and three earned runs in six innings at Tennessee. In those two games, he struck out 17 combined with one walk.

Doyle's era should have never been 5.73 with his stuff.

C Peebles
1B Transfer
2B Killen
SS Antigua
3B Curley
LF Chapman
CF Ensley/Backus
RF Fischer
DH Bargo

Pitching is going to be nasty. Still a lot of moving parts. Let's see where this roster is after the draft.

VN Store

Back