2024 Transfer Portal

Coaches see so much more than we do. They know what they have on the bench, they know what they have coming in and where they see them fitting, and they see the needs better than we ever could. But message boards invite people to make uneducated guesses.
Not only uneducated guesses, but people make definitive statements (this guy will NEVER hit, that guy IS TERRIBLE at a position, etc) that they have no way of knowing because they change and some take small sample sizes to define their personal positions.

Let those responsible who see these guys every day determine playing decisions because they have the most knowledge, by far, to be able to make these decisions.

Not only uneducated guesses, but people make definitive statements (this guy will NEVER hit, that guy IS TERRIBLE at a position, etc) that they have no way of knowing because they change and some take small sample sizes to define their personal positions.

Let those responsible who see these guys every day determine playing decisions because they have the most knowledge, by far, to be able to make these decisions.
Yes sir!

☝and this

One of my favorites was the legendary post complaining that Jordan Beck’s defense had been terrible all year, right after he made his first error, which came during the postseason….

I’m curious as to what position the staff is pitching to Fischer. He’s not a 1B at the next level. He’s 6-1 and a righty. Playing that position at Tennessee would cost his draft stock. But the other infield positions seem to be set. Are they attempting to get him as a corner outfielder? DHing doesn’t help him.

If they truly are all in on Fischer, I wonder if AA is the odd man out in the infield…Fischer at 3B, Curley at SS, and Kilen at 2B. 1B is either Grimmer or a true 1B from the portal.

Or maybe Curley at 3B, Kilen at SS and Fischer at 2B?

I just don’t see Fischer coming here to play a position he’s not cut out for, just to squeeze in, when he could go elsewhere or stay at OM to play a natural position at which he’s projected in the pros. That would be a bad career decision.

If Ant starts, cool. If he doesn’t, cool.

Like many have said, he will have to hit better.

3B: Curley
SS: Ant
2B: Kilen

Or

3B: Fischer
SS: Curley
2B: Kilen

Either way, we’re fine. I’m leaning towards the second choice though

One of my favorites was the legendary post complaining that Jordan Beck’s defense had been terrible all year, right after he made his first error, which came during the postseason….
Didn’t Jorel Ortega bat under .100 his Sophomore year and didn’t make the travel roster in 2021….then was one of our better hitters on the 2022 team?

I’m curious as to what position the staff is pitching to Fischer. He’s not a 1B at the next level. He’s 6-1 and a righty. Playing that position at Tennessee would cost his draft stock. But the other infield positions seem to be set. Are they attempting to get him as a corner outfielder? DHing doesn’t help him.

If they truly are all in on Fischer, I wonder if AA is the odd man out in the infield…Fischer at 3B, Curley at SS, and Kilen at 2B. 1B is either Grimmer or a true 1B from the portal.

Or maybe Curley at 3B, Kilen at SS and Fischer at 2B?

I just don’t see Fischer coming here to play a position he’s not cut out for, just to squeeze in, when he could go elsewhere or stay at OM to play a natural position at which he’s projected in the pros. That would be a bad career decision.
Think you may be overrating the position they play in college when it comes to pro ball. Scouts can project regardless of where you play in college. CMO will prob be a 3B/OF at next level.

I have all of those losers on ignore. 😂 And if I missed anyone, I'll add next time they chime in with that garbage.

Last edited:
Haven’t really been too active with outfielders in the portal.

I know we were good with Grahovac and Laviolette, but haven’t heard anything else regarding other outfielders.

Surprised we haven’t gone after Kilen’s teammate at Louisville. Wonder if we decided we’re good or the other guys we are in on will make a decision after the draft

Think you may be overrating the position they play in college when it comes to pro ball. Scouts can project regardless of where you play in college. CMO will prob be a 3B/OF at next level.
Maybe. But is that how you’re gonna sell Fischer? “Hey, transfer away from a school where you play your pro position and choose us over other schools where you’ll play your pro positions, so you can play a position you won’t play in the pros. Don’t worry, though…they’ll “project you.”

I just can’t see Tennessee successfully selling him on 1B. I also don’t think that’s Tony’s style.

Maybe. But is that how you’re gonna sell Fischer? “Hey, transfer away from a school where you play your pro position and choose us over other schools where you’ll play your pro positions, so you can play a position you won’t play in the pros. Don’t worry, though…they’ll “project you.”

I just can’t see Tennessee successfully selling him on 1B. I also don’t think that’s Tony’s style.

Fischer is a bad defensive 3rd Baseball. He is a corner OF or DH. Easy sell when you lost your LF or RF

Fischer is a bad defensive 3rd Baseball. He is a corner OF or DH. Easy sell when you lost your LF or RF
Yeah he played pretty meh then got put at DH.

Never read of heard of him playing outfield, but he may be open to that since again he’s very meh at 3rd and scouts may be telling him to focus on a different position.

Edit; nvm, I guess teams could just throw him at DH at the next level and not worry about his defense.

SS needs a stronger arm than 3rd base. It’s a longer throw.
Both need strong throwing arms. Diagonal distance from 3rd to 1st is 127+ ft, just guessing but the typical throw to 1st by SS is probably less than 127 and depends on situational depth

Both need strong throwing arms. Diagonal distance from 3rd to 1st is 127+ ft, just guessing but the typical throw to 1st by SS is probably less than 127 and depends on situational depth
It’s not just about distance. The SS a) makes more throws, and b) makes throws going into the hole while moving in the opposite direction of the throw. That takes a stronger arm.

Yes, both need strong arms, but all else being equal, SS needs a stronger arm.

It’s not just about distance. The SS a) makes more throws, and b) makes throws going into the hole while moving in the opposite direction of the throw. That takes a stronger arm.

Yes, both need strong arms, but all else being equal, SS needs a stronger arm.
SS needs a stronger arm than 3rd base. It’s a longer throw.
my response was only to the "it's a longer throw" statement not to the positional attribute differences

Reactions: NighthawkVol

What if Fischer tells them to find him a spot, he just wants to be a part of the National Championship culture?

VN Store

Back