2024 Vols will have the best d-line in the country....BY FAR

You need a CAT scan, a psychiatrist or both. If you (meaning anyone) try to compare any portion of a veteran's career to someone (doesn't matter who) that literally is in the first fall camp of their career it makes you look like an idjit. There's simply not enough information. (If you have your meds calibration right you'll note none of that was predicated on having anything to do with Dobbs or Hooker)

Now if we are talking those two after camp/preseason you'll at least have "something" to work with.

I haven't even said anything about Hooker's pro career. All I've done is tried to get us to agree that if Hooker is less successful in the NFL than Dobbs then he obviously must not have been the better player at Tennessee. He must have benefitted from Huepel's system while Dobbs was held back by Butch Jones. That's the only argument I'm making right now.

IF. You never phrased it that way. But there’s not much to “match”. 😎

Then it should be easy but all I see is you running away from admitting that if Hooker is less successful in the NFL than Dobbs then that means he wasn't the more talented player in college.

I'll say this. If Hooker has more success than Dobbs in the NFL then I will admit my eye test was wrong and Hooker was the better collegiate QB. Will admit the same if the opposite holds true?

I mean I guess there is a possibility that could be true but we will never know. Personally Hooker throws the ball better than Dobbs ever did. Dobbs was a better runner but stats don’t lie most of the time. What about if Dobbs played for Heupel? I mean there’s always an argument that can be made for someone in a specific system…. Like I said, the same could be said about Dobbs being a part of Heupels offense. He could have been terrible in his offense. But isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be though? You recruit based on your system and how it’s ran.

This is why I said let's look at NFL success. If Hooker is cut by the Lions after this preseason and never really catches on in the NFL as even a backup, can you really argue he was more talented than Dobbs?

Then it should be easy but all I see is you running away from admitting that if Hooker is less successful in the NFL than Dobbs then that means he wasn't the more talented player in college.

I'll say this. If Hooker has more success than Dobbs in the NFL then I will admit my eye test was wrong and Hooker was the better collegiate QB. Will admit the same if the opposite holds true?
Dobbs isn’t successful…so there’s no RUNNING. You simply go in circles with your nonsense.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Just watched some of the early footage from day 1 of fall camp and it looks like we have a loaded roster. Talent all over the field. But the group that stands out above the rest is the d-line. It's insane how much talent and depth we have at that position. We literally can go 3-deep at every defensive line position with guys who are quality SEC starters and potential future pros. I don't think there's a team in the country that comes close to our talent level on the defensive line.

2 guys who stood out to me that could have breakout seasons were #97 Jayson Jenkins and #29 Jordan Ross. Both look like grown men. Ross being a true freshman and already looking like the most impressive physical specimen on the d-line is crazy. I think he ends up being better than James Pearce when it's all said and done.
How many national championships we win this year ?

My main concern is last year when teams got real physical, the defense didnt respond very well. Fla, Ala, Mizzou & Ga were all teams that got rough & had success. Maybe another yr & Pili at MLB will change that.

True. It's not much. Which is why I don't get why you're not willing to say if Hooker doesn't live up to that measly standard that he was a product of circumstance here at Tennessee rather than being a superior talent.
The underappreciated factor for NFL success is which team you play for and what talent is ahead of you and where they are in their careers. Brady is not the GOAT at Jacksonville or Arizona. Bradshaw wasn't a HOF player on the Cowboys or Vikings. He would be the backup. Peyton's career is stillborn if he was drafted by the Browns or Lions.

Last edited:
The fact you could try to make this claim is hysterical. In fact, it's precisely you doing exactly that, with essentially a total dearth of useful information, that made me comment in the first place.

I haven't. All I've done is tried to set up a thought experiment. My argument is if Hooker fails to live up to the limited success Dobbs has had thus far in the NFL then we should agree he was never the better QB in college but instead benefitted from better circumstances.

A guy making millions as a NFL QB isn't a success? Just say you hate Dobbs and be done with it.
Nathan Peterman, Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray meet your eye test, then. 😏 Don’t hate him. Adore his legacy at UT but he’s a roster spot in the NFL. And I’ve actually met him at my workplace…you eye test blowhard! Say the same?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Nathan Peterman, Chase Daniel and Tyler Bray meet your eye test, then. 😏 Don’t hate him. Adore his legacy at UT but he’s a roster spot in the NFL. And I’ve actually met him at my workplace…you eye test blowhard! Say the same?

You're the one that said an NFL QB isn't a success not me. If that's not hating then I don't know what is. Let me see you start a thread entitled "Josh Dobbs is not a successful QB" and let's see how folks around here react.

You're the one that said an NFL QB isn't a success not me. If that's not hating then I don't know what is. Let me see you start a thread entitled "Josh Dobbs is not a successful QB" and let's see how folks around here react.
So every athlete that makes a roster is a “success”? Matt Simms will be relieved.

And no…you don’t KNOW what a multitude of terms mean. That Dook education fails you. 😏

Last edited:
I’ll start with this…I agree the vols will have an elite d line this season, but this thing has been at or near the top of the threads for a week or near it now and we are all poorer for it.
PS-never change d4h

I haven't. All I've done is tried to set up a thought experiment. My argument is if Hooker fails to live up to the limited success Dobbs has had thus far in the NFL then we should agree he was never the better QB in college but instead benefitted from better circumstances.

Schedule that CAT scan.

If collegiate success is reflective of your talent then shouldn't Hendon Hooker have a better NFL career than Dobbs? Thus far they seem to have the same trajectory despite Hooker having better numbers in college and success as a senior.

That is exactly you doing precisely the thing you said you didn't do and it was merely the first example. There is no "thus far" or "trajectory" regarding Hooker in the NFL. He had no rookie season due to injury, had dislocated his finger in spring and is basically right now getting his first "real" work. He's yet to even take a preseason snap.

Now I otoh can say I've made no actual comparisons. I have unambiguously stated that, as I type this, nobody with the sense of a turnip can make any meaningful comparison due to Hooker being little more than a rookie with an extended off season. Will there come a point where enough vettable information comes in to make at least some speculative comparisons? Sure, but it won't be until the end of preseason at the earliest and sure as hell not when you posted the above.

if you don't agree, why not just ignore Dobbs4? it's his way of enjoying this weird world we are living in.

On second thought, he may get more enjoyment out of reading the responses.
That's a real possibility. I've witnessed people posting some pretty outlandish nonsense just for the purpose of watching the frenzy of reactions . I guess it's entertaining to some folks .

Reactions: orangemadam
I’ve said this for lots of years now but this is his final one. I need Elijah Woods to show out this year.

Schedule that CAT scan.

That is exactly you doing precisely the thing you said you didn't do and it was merely the first example. There is no "thus far" or "trajectory" regarding Hooker in the NFL. He had no rookie season due to injury, had dislocated his finger in spring and is basically right now getting his first "real" work. He's yet to even take a preseason snap.

Now I otoh can say I've made no actual comparisons. I have unambiguously stated that, as I type this, nobody with the sense of a turnip can make any meaningful comparison due to Hooker being little more than a rookie with an extended off season. Will there come a point where enough vettable information comes in to make at least some speculative comparisons? Sure, but it won't be until the end of preseason at the earliest and sure as hell not when you posted the above.

He's 3rd of the depth chart in training camp on Year 2 of his rookie contract. Yes there is a thus far. If there wasn't a thus far then he wouldn't have collected any checks yet from the NFL and there would be no pecking order in camp.

Maybe you don't know how the NFL works but injury isn't an excuse. If Hendon doesn't play well in the preseason he could be released just like Dobbs was in danger of as a 2nd year QB. The NFL isn't really in the business of making excuses for why a player isn't performing.

So every athlete that makes a roster is a “success”? Matt Simms will be relieved.

And no…you don’t KNOW what a multitude of terms mean. That Dook education fails you. 😏
Yes, very much so. There are only 1600 guys on rosters getting paid. Helluva life accomplishment since that amount is miniscule compared to all players in division 1.

The underappreciated factor for NFL success is which team you play for and what talent is ahead of you and where they are in their careers. Brady is not the GOAT at Jacksonville or Arizona. Bradshaw wasn't a HOF player on the Cowboys or Vikings. He would be the backup. Peyton's career is stillborn if he was drafted by the Browns or Lions.
You don't know that. That's absolute BS.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
What the hell kind of logic is this ????

So, you only follow Tennessee when they have high NFL draft picks on the roster .... beating LSU, Florida and Alabama didn't meet the standards for your fair-weather fandom?

You are the weirdest poster we've ever had.
Idk, woodsman vol is pretty strange…

Reactions: GordonC

VN Store

Back