2025 Recruiting

No, EVERYONE goes after the top talent all the time. You'd be pretty remiss in your job if you didn't.
Agree. Everyone tries to dip a line in the big dog pool. Kellie recruited almost every major player and came agonizingly close on several. Just never could reel any in. So she also had to fish in the next pond down like most normie program coaches end up doing. But the tippy top programs do not have to move out of the exclusive pool and that's the difference IMO.

Last edited:
There's not that much difference in elite players, which some could argue are the top 30 or so players in every class. There's only so many generational type players born. Dawn was able to land a few in-state players like Aleighsa Welch (class of 2011) ranked #88, Alaina Coates #28 (class of 2013) Also, she got Tiffany Mitchell #46 (class of 2012) out of North Carolina. Those 3 really got SC into the spotlight. And, then of course there's that generational talent of A'ja Wilson (class of 2014) out of S.C. They won their first title in 2017.

It doesn't take high rankings in high school to determine how good a player is or will become.

JMO

Last edited:
Agree w that. I know rankings can be influenced by injury, politics, etc. That's why I go more by offers from coaches who win big and have their choice of recruits.

So, if TN had won the last 2 championships you would then change your opinion to the Pauldo twins being considered "elite", correct?

And, also that Dawn couldn't evaluate talent UNTIL she won a national championship?

Last edited:
Reactions: KnoxLikeUs
So, if TN had won the last 2 championships you would then change your opinion to the Pauldo twins being considered "elite", correct?
It would help. As you said earlier, once you start winning nattys recruiting changes and gets easier. You get to narrow your focus to the top of the top and they respond.

For me, it's more a matter of the top coaches having a consensus on a player - if they all recruit them or all take a pass it tells me something. But that's just me and of course there are exceptions.

And I've said a million times, I'm thrilled at the good reports on the twins and have never said they can't be elite. I just thought their offer list looked weak, that's all.

And I've said a million times, I'm thrilled at the good reports on the twins and have never said they can't be elite. I just thought their offer list looked weak, that's all.

I've wondered if the fact they were a package deal affected their recruitment by some of the top programs? From what I've gathered, one of the sisters is considered a notch above the other in talent, and maybe even good enough to attract nothing but major offers.

But the very TOP programs don't need to spend two schollies to get the one player they really want. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so they can afford to throw both back.

My hope is that Sister Two in the pecking order ends up having one of those mental, emotional, physical maturity growth spurts that sometimes happens and becomes a total equal, if not superior, to Sister One.

We've all seen, or experienced ourselves, how different timelines can be for reaching maximum ability. I'm thinking there's even a chance Sister Two could eventually outshine Sister One. You really never know.

But my main point is, their offer list may very well have been what it was because it was a two-fer. I suspect both will end up being solid contributors, so Caldwell started it off right. 👍🏻

I've wondered if the fact they were a package deal affected their recruitment by some of the top programs? From what I've gathered, one of the sisters is considered a notch above the other in talent, and maybe even good enough to attract nothing but major offers.

But the very TOP programs don't need to spend two schollies to get the one player they really want. There are plenty of fish in the sea, so they can afford to throw both back.

My hope is that Sister Two in the pecking order ends up having one of those mental, emotional, physical maturity growth spurts that sometimes happens and becomes a total equal, if not superior, to Sister One.

We've all seen, or experienced ourselves, how different timelines can be for reaching maximum ability. I'm thinking there's even a chance Sister Two could eventually outshine Sister One. You really never know.

But my main point is, their offer list may very well have been what it was because it was a two-fer. I suspect both will end up being solid contributors, so Caldwell started it off right. 👍🏻
Package plus size possibly.

Can’t wait to see how that pans out.
Let’s face it. Geno failed to recruit Cait Clark, arguably the best player in the game for some time. Steph Curry came out of high school as a 3-star….. Rankings are opinions by people who may or may not have the touch identifying players who will be great. How many people out there are employed to scout/ recruit? Thousands. Very few get it right. Rankings are entertainment.

Yeah, didn't you hear? If they're not in the top 5, and haven't been offered by the only 3 or 4 coaches in the country who can evaluate talent....then they're not worth having!
I mean….okay! I get you’re trying to be funny and stand out, but sis,sir….I agree with that sentiment! Sorry stinka! 🥴🫠

VN Store

Back