2025 Recruiting

So if they simply don't want to play for Kellie and NIL is not involved, why do you think we make so many finalist lists? They don't know about Kellie for the months and years until they're ready to sign? That just doesn't make sense. Making so many final lists and not closing, plus knowing for certain that Earl is very well connected and knows what he's talking about, makes me believe it is in large part lack of upfront NIL money.
Refusing to acknowledge the major NIL gap between UT and other schools is the biggest issue on this board. The staff, whether you approve of them or not, are better than most at building relationships in recruiting. Specifically, I know the Williams family has a great relationship with Kellie and staff. They are very open about that. Without NIL, I have no doubt where she’d end up. For Lady Vol sake, I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see how they beat out the Nike money and, especially the Pickens foundation and other oil money. If she doesn’t commit to UT then it is solely based on NIL and the people on this board should put their full focus on fixing the issue and worry about everything else later.

The amount of up front money out there seems to be lost on most, including even those who acknowledge the Lady Vols are behind on NIL. There was a post somewhere that stated if there was $250k or $350k then the conversation would be mute (paraphrasing). That is so off base. Since OSU is relevant because of Williams, T Boone Pickens and his foundation have donated over $650 million, including $120 mil recently. He had a great relationship with the AD and most of his money is earmarked for athletics. Do you not think there’s a few hundred k for Williams in there? And $350k would only pay half of what Watkins got up front from USC. This isn’t changing anytime soon. People need to think in terms of millions for the program, not thousands.

On the list I saw, Tennessee is a finalist for about 6 recruits ranked in the top 25. I remember Keeley Parks being one of them, ranked at #15. Janiyah Williams just released her top 3, and Tennessee is one of those. There were others I can't recall off the top of my head.
I’m not talking about rankings because we know rankings can be overrated, have u watched any of them and are they elite players like Juju or Mikayla Williams as an example?

Again, Terri and her friends can't possibly be powerful enough to continue in a manner that is literally ruining the program. If she can't walk away (and again she can still have true NIL) she needs to be helped to the door. I remain godsmacked that this has been allowed to go on as long as it has.
You don’t want it forced. If you can’t see the problem, you’re the problem.

The donors who “support” the Lady Vols HATE NIL and will not donate towards it because they feel, unjustifiably, that Pat would hate NIL too and they don’t want their money to be used for “pay to play.”

What they neglect to understand is that yes, Pat would’ve likely hated NIL, but Pat would’ve adapted to the times and if Pat wanted a recruit and needed money for it, she would’ve gotten it.

They want the landscape to be how it used to be, and are unwilling to see that times have changed. Kellie is in a huge bind when it comes to NIL deals. The staff is putting in the work but money talks and kids walk. We have lost countless recruits over money deals since NIL became what it is.

In terms of OMD and Terri, she is the sole reason that Rickea came back this season. Spyre doesn’t want to handle the women’s athletics. They are here for football, baseball and basketball. The ladies needed a collective and Terri stepped up. We need something bigger, but until there is monetary backing to support a larger collective, Terri is it.

In terms of OMD and Terri, she is the sole reason that Rickea came back this season. Spyre doesn’t want to handle the women’s athletics. They are here for football, baseball and basketball. The ladies needed a collective and Terri stepped up. We need something bigger, but until there is monetary backing to support a larger collective, Terri is it.

This is exactly what several other people on here have said. I recall DeerPark also saying that Spyre and the Volunteer Club don't want anything to do with the women's teams, and are really only focused on the big three. Moreoever, another poster said they asked about donating a not insigificant amount of money to the Volunteer Club with the intent of going to the Lady Vols basketball players, and the Volunteer Club responded by saying the Volunteer Club organization alone would determine how to use the funds.

It's maddening to see people continue to say "oh, let Spyre handle it," when ever story we hear on this forum is that Spyre doesn't want or care to do so.

And then you get the usual grousers saying "oh the NIL isn't the problem." BS. College NIL represents the biggest chance many of these players will ever get to "cash in" on their ten or more years of hard work. BS the players aren't heavily influenced by NIL. It's utterly preposterous to think otherwise.

This is exactly what several other people on here have said. I recall DeerPark also saying that Spyre and the Volunteer don't want anything to do with the women's teams, and are really only focused on the big three. Moreoever, another poster said they asked about donating a not insigificant amount of money to the Volunteer Club with the intent of going to the Lady Vols basketball players, and the Volunteer Club responded by saying the Volunteer Club organization alone would determine how to use the funds.

It's maddening to see people continue to say "oh, let Spyre handle it," when ever story we hear on this forum is that Spyre doesn't want or care to do so.
If someone wants to give a lot of money, just sign a player to a Nil deal and it will go directly to that player, or off that to some elite recruits to come here.

If someone wants to give a lot of money, just sign a player to a Nil deal and it will go directly to that player, or off that to some elite recruits to come here.

That has almost nothing to do with my comment, which was about the reality of Tennessee's major NIL collectives being indifferent to the various womens' athletics teams at Tennessee.

Reactions: travis929
I think it's become clear that Spyre is only interested in the men's sports because they make the big $ representing them in their post-collegiate career. I really think we need to twist their arm to include women's basketball so we can sign at least 1 top-10 player each year.

At this time it is illegal to make a NIL deal with a high school athlete. Until that is resolved no way to even determine how to fix NIL at Tennessee. I don't think any of the current players are having any trouble getting a lot of deals. Where were falling short is recruiting and at present NCAA says you can't offer them even through a collective.

That has almost nothing to do with my comment, which was about the reality of Tennessee's major NIL collectives being indifferent to the various womens' athletics teams at Tennessee.
I don’t know how Tennessee deals with Nil, I’ll wait for the facts to come out and then make my decision.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Refusing to acknowledge the major NIL gap between UT and other schools is the biggest issue on this board. The staff, whether you approve of them or not, are better than most at building relationships in recruiting. Specifically, I know the Williams family has a great relationship with Kellie and staff. They are very open about that. Without NIL, I have no doubt where she’d end up. For Lady Vol sake, I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see how they beat out the Nike money and, especially the Pickens foundation and other oil money. If she doesn’t commit to UT then it is solely based on NIL and the people on this board should put their full focus on fixing the issue and worry about everything else later.
Couldn’t be an in-state staying close to home and family. Has to be NIL on why we lost out. Nothing wrong being an orange tinted glasses fan but not everything is NIL. Family I’m sure has great relationships with all 3 schools

Reactions: brittannica
At this time it is illegal to make a NIL deal with a high school athlete. Until that is resolved no way to even determine how to fix NIL at Tennessee. I don't think any of the current players are having any trouble getting a lot of deals. Where we’re falling short is recruiting and at present NCAA says you can't offer them even through a collective.
In Tn u can make Nil deals with high school students so that’s not true.

In Tn u can make Nil deals with high school students so that’s not true.
No you can't only athletes already enrolled. That is what the court fight is all about.

1. Prohibited Actions: The NCAA’s interim policy prohibits certain actions that could negatively impact a student-athlete’s eligibility:
    • NIL agreements without a quid pro quo (i.e., compensation for work not performed).
    • NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a specific school.
    • Compensation directly tied to athletic participation or achievement (although it can enhance NIL value).

Last edited:
I will be forever grateful to Terri for what she did for Rickea last spring (and Anne Baker Furrow). Sounds like maybe she's not holding bigger things back, it's more that no one else is stepping up. There have to be some other donors and interested parties who could come up with some better organizing solutions. Of course it's all in flux now until we find out what the new rules are going to be, if there are any rules.

No you can't only athletes already enrolled. That is what the court fight is all about.
HIGH SCHOOL NIL IS PERMITTEDHIGH SCHOOL NIL IS PROHIBITED
Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, WashingtonArizona, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

HIGH SCHOOL NIL IS PERMITTEDHIGH SCHOOL NIL IS PROHIBITED
Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, WashingtonArizona, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
High School students are allowed to make deals while in high school but not with the University of Tennessee to attend school there. Tennesse can't go out and offer a athlete in high school they are trying to recruit any amount of NIl money. That is the problem some schools are doing it illegally. I think we lost a few players because of under the table dealing by some other schools.

Reactions: UTtoDC
High School students are allowed to make deals while in high school but not with the University of Tennessee to attend school there. Tennesse can't go out and offer an athlete in high school they are trying to recruit any amount of NIl money. That is the problem some schools are doing it illegally. I think we lost a few players because of under the table dealing by some other schools.
Ok so companies can sign them which is the point I’m making. Of a business wants to sign an athlete they can do it for. I can offer them a deal if they commit to the LadyVols.

The amount of up front money out there seems to be lost on most, including even those who acknowledge the Lady Vols are behind on NIL. There was a post somewhere that stated if there was $250k or $350k then the conversation would be mute (paraphrasing). That is so off base. Since OSU is relevant because of Williams, T Boone Pickens and his foundation have donated over $650 million, including $120 mil recently. He had a great relationship with the AD and most of his money is earmarked for athletics. Do you not think there’s a few hundred k for Williams in there? And $350k would only pay half of what Watkins got up front from USC. This isn’t changing anytime soon. People need to think in terms of millions for the program, not thousands.
I’m very skeptical of these numbers people float out there for up front money, don’t believe they exist in WBB to those levels. Nobody is going to convince me that HS WBB players are getting that kind of money upfront, esp when you compare that to FB numbers for most. Someone would have to show me proof that JuJu got $750k.

Reactions: krichunaka
Ok so companies can sign them which is the point I’m making. Of a business wants to sign an athlete they can do it for. I can offer them a deal if they commit to the LadyVols.
After the commit which is why it is such a crap heap. You can offer them all the deals you desire once they are in college even on the very first day. You can't offer them anything before at this time.

The NCAA is saying that Tennessee offered Nico QB football a NIL deal while he was in high school and yes that happened Spyre sports offered him a deal to sign with them while in high school. Now the NCAA is trying to say that is illegal cause the Spyre collective in part of the University of Tennessee which Tennessee says is a lie. So waiting on a ruling. That is the Lady Vol basketball problem they can't tell a recruit you can get a certain amount of NIL money to sign with us. They can only say there might be NiL deals available. Where as some rumors of some schools offering the money while recruiting on a visit to sign and some players that looked like they might be coming here certainly changed course in a hurry.

I think it is one of the reasons we are doing so much portal recruiting cause they are not even trying to say you can't offer a player already in college a deal just high school.

The donors who “support” the Lady Vols HATE NIL and will not donate towards it because they feel, unjustifiably, that Pat would hate NIL too and they don’t want their money to be used for “pay to play.”

What they neglect to understand is that yes, Pat would’ve likely hated NIL, but Pat would’ve adapted to the times and if Pat wanted a recruit and needed money for it, she would’ve gotten it.

They want the landscape to be how it used to be, and are unwilling to see that times have changed. Kellie is in a huge bind when it comes to NIL deals. The staff is putting in the work but money talks and kids walk. We have lost countless recruits over money deals since NIL became what it is.

If they want to win big again they better wake up cause it is here to stay and is the only way your going to have a superior team.

Reactions: StrangeVol
After the commit which is why it is such a crap heap. You can offer them all the deals you desire once they are in college even on the very first day. You can't offer them anything before at this time.

The NCAA is saying that Tennessee offered Nico QB football a NIL deal while he was in high school and yes that happened Spyre sports offered him a deal to sign with them while in high school. Now the NCAA is trying to say that is illegal cause the Spyre collective in part of the University of Tennessee which Tennessee says is a lie. So waiting on a ruling. That is the Lady Vol basketball problem they can't tell a recruit you can get a certain amount of NIL money to sign with us. They can only say there might be NiL deals available. Where as some rumors of some schools offering the money while recruiting on a visit to sign and some players that looked like they might be coming here certainly changed course in a hurry.

I think it is one of the reasons we are doing so much portal recruiting cause they are not even trying to say you can't offer a player already in college a deal just high school.
So do u think the schools that are getting all the Elite Recruits are the ones doing it illegally and we are the one school that wants to play by the rules?

So do u think the schools that are getting all the Elite Recruits are the ones doing it illegally
Not all but a lot. Some of the schools recruiting big now were not even close to doing it before. Still probably half the players still just pick a school of preference regardless of NIL the other half are looking for the most NIL money.

VN Store

Back