2025 Recruiting

I'm really skeptical of them coming here unless were the number one NIL bidder cause that is who is going to get them.

This is behind a paywall… but just confirmation of what you said. NIL is big for them and based on our recent lack of success with high schoolers and NIL, not sure I like our chances. I guess this is a test on whether the “improved” NIL is legit.

This is behind a paywall… but just confirmation of what you said. NIL is big for them and based on our recent lack of success with high schoolers and NIL, not sure I like our chances. I guess this is a test on whether the “improved” NIL is legit.

We have the Nil funds now, if the rumors are true. But don’t overpay for average players, only the truly elite ones u should break the bank for.

And like I've stated the Father is the one demanding a lot which has scared a lot of the other P5 schools away. I hope if they decide to commit to us, CKC is able to keep Dad away, we don't need any drama or a return to the foolishness we had to endure during the Holly era.

Again they would be a great get, but at what cost to the program (and I am not just talking NIL $)

And like I've stated the Father is the one demanding a lot which has scared a lot of the other P5 schools away. I hope if they decide to commit to us, CKC is able to keep Dad away, we don't need any drama or a return to the foolishness we had to endure during the Holly era.

Again they would be a great get, but at what cost to the program (and I am not just talking NIL $)
I think most top recruits are interested in Nil, some players/families may be more vocal and others don’t say anything publicly, but behind the scenes it’s all the same.

Reactions: ReignSupreme
We have the Nil funds now, if the rumors are true. But don’t overpay for average players, only the truly elite ones u should break the bank for.
I disagree. What UT has for use are COLLECTIVE FUNDS. there May be lots of PERSONAL NIL funds for players through endorsements, etc.. But that depends on them and their agents. The school has access to only the collective funds.

I prefer the Dawn Staley method. She had $275,000 in NIL collective funds. (old numbers). She has 15 players (theoretically), so everybody got $25,000 in collective funds. Everybody is treated the same by the team. Of course, a Fulwiley is gonna get more through personal endorsements but the team treats everybody equally with collective money.

If you spend your $175,000 getting a number one player and you only spend $100,000 on the other 14 players ($7,143 each). Does that foster team spirit? What if that number one can't break your starting lineup the first year? The starters are probably not gonna care too much for the freshman money bags. Envy permeates your locker room in a TEAM sport.

Anyway, it works well for Dawn.

($25,000 plus food and lodging ain't bad. Aliyah Boston says she lived off that and banked all her moneys from personal endorsements for her future and, as she grumbled, paying income taxes.)

Last edited:

Here we go, don't like high school basketball recruits who put NIL before the academics, school athletic reputation, and school culture. in my mind, they are not good enough to put that first in their recruitment. Plus, the school has to take both of them. It would be different if they were as good as the two Georgia twins from about ten years ago. I think that any player who makes demands can be trouble down the road. Good luck if you can get them, but watch out for possible chemistry problems between them and the rest of the squad. Just saying.

I disagree. What UT has for use are COLLECTIVE FUNDS. there May be lots of PERSONAL NIL funds for players through endorsements, etc.. But that depends on them and their agents. The school has access to only the collective funds.

I prefer the Dawn Staley method. She had $275,000 in NIL collective funds. (old numbers). She has 15 players (theoretically), so everybody got $25,000 in collective funds. Everybody is treated the same by the team. Of course, a Fulwiley is gonna get more through personal endorsements but the team treats everybody equally with collective money.

If you spend your $175,000 getting a number one player and you only spend $100,000 on the other 14 players ($7,143 each). Does that foster team spirit? What if that number one can't break your starting lineup the first year? The starters are probably not gonna care too much for the freshman money bags. Envy permeates your locker room in a TEAM sport.

($25,000 plus food and lodging ain't bad. Aliyah Boston says she lived off that and banked all her moneys from personal endorsements for her future and, as she grumbled, paying income taxes.)
I don’t know how it all works, and I don’t care how Sc or Dawn Staley does anything. But however Texas, USC and UCLA are doing it, that’s what I want to follow, just go out and get the best players.

Reactions: olddog
Here we go, don't like high school basketball recruits who put NIL before the academics, school athletic reputation, and school culture. in my mind, they are not good enough to put that first in their recruitment. Plus, the school has to take both of them. It would be different if they were as good as the two Georgia twins from about ten years ago. I think that any player who makes demands can be trouble down the road. Good luck if you can get them, but watch out for possible chemistry problems between them and the rest of the squad. Just saying.
In their defense they didn’t say Nil was above academics, they said it should be part of the recruiting process, and all of the athletes want that so that’s not a big deal.

Big ole red flag on several levels.
In their defense they didn’t say Nil was above academics, they said it should be part of the recruiting process, and all of the athletes want that so that’s not a big deal.
You kidding? I completely missed the part about academics. They made NIL the centerpiece of a rather snarky post. Dad staking out territory already. And for freakin #49? Maybe could grit teeth and overlook if just for #13, but this message plus bringing along lower ranked sis and demanding Dad in the package? Must be taller guards in the class we can look at.

You kidding? I completely missed the part about academics. They made NIL the centerpiece of a rather snarky post. Dad staking out territory already. And for freakin #49? Maybe could grit teeth and overlook if just for #13, but this message plus bringing along lower ranked sis and demanding Dad in the package? Must be taller guards in the class we can look at.
I don’t know anything about them or their family, I’m just reading the quote, I’m sure the question was about Nil and that’s how they answered it, I would like to read it and see if they just mentioned it on their own or was asked.

The collective is an NIL group funded by private NIL donations (that in our case includes the accessible Vol Club or even small one-time gifts from small donors, as well as large gifts). Coaches can communicate with the NIL collective through third parties how they think money should be allocated. But that is not school money (although some are pushing legislation to run NIL through the schools, iirc). It is private. This should be a plus for us because LV fans are devoted (like all Vols fans) and will give money for women's basketball.

What SCar is talking about is largely a PR offensive. They are in a different place with respect to recruiting and pretending to disapprove of other schools' spending and attempting to influence rival fan bases to speak out against own teams' NIL. Because NIL can level the playing field. All the while themselves (SCar) spending all they can get their hands on. Saban did this same thing. Sadly, a lot of rival fans fall for it. The big deals you speak of are arranged through the very same collective.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
I don’t know anything about them or their family, I’m just reading the quote, I’m sure the question was about Nil and that’s how they answered it, I would like to read it and see if they just mentioned it on their own or was asked.
Don't want to say to much about this cause we might be willing to pay don't want to rain on that parade. Just say if I was coach I would be looking for a point guard elsewhere even though both these girls are terrific players.

Don't want to say to much about this cause we might be willing to pay don't want to rain on that parade. Just say if I was coach I would be looking for a point guard elsewhere even though both these girls are terrific players.
I would agree but for basketball reasons, no reason we should have 4 Pg’s around 5’5 on our roster, them 2 along with Wells and Darby.

In women’s basketball, a player just inside the top 50 has limited NIL value. It’s not huge for the 13th ranked player. Top five players are a different story.

Reactions: brittannica

The dad is marketing his daughters and doing a great job at it. Our staff will get to know him on a personal level to be able to tell if their are any true red flags with these players.

Reactions: Orange.

The idea of everyone getting an equal base then can obviously negotiate what they can individually afterwards seems a very solid approach. Thanks for sharing.

If the Georgia twins referenced are Kelly and Coco Miller, they graduated 23 years ago. Just posted to put it in perspective how time flies….😬

People in UTAD will discern whether Mr. Pauldo is a great Dad doing wise things, or an updated version of what some programs refer to derisively as a "tennis parent." No aspersions cast--it's tough being a parent in any era, and most certainly today.

On the evening of June 9, I believe all our coaches said a hearty "AMEN!" when Tony Vitello concluded his 7-minute opening remarks after the Evansville game, in what will probably be forever known as simply "The Rant."

The BaseVols won their national championship on team chemistry, player accountability to each other, and relentless work throughout the calendar year to hone their skills and fitness. I think we can expect being teammates like family to remain the norm for every sport at Tennessee. I certainly don't see CKC being tempted to compromise anytime soon.

Last edited:

Good rule of thumb for this mess - when recruits show you that they're more focused on their brands than on their game, you should believe them.

VN Store

Back