32-hour workweek bill reintroduced in Congress

Every teacher at my HS had TA's for grading. I had that job for a semester. Free labor and it's good experience for the student. Why waste a teacher on that ****, my God?

I can tell you that I never met with a teacher outside of school with my parents. Your district might have all that **** ad nauseum. But a lot if it is unnecessary and mine didn't. You literally had to rush to see a teacher after the final bell or you might miss your chance. I had a GF on the track team. We'd go practice for 30 to 45 minutes and then walk around the school aimlessly making out. We rarely ran into teachers. I'm just speaking from my experience at a school with a great reputation, no less. Good in sports and academics. Must be the exception to the rule.

I don't see how you can grade papers for a teacher unless it's a multiple choice test. Something like grading an English paper, a History essay or even math problems where you need to show your work usually have a lot of latitude in how the teacher grades the test/assignment.

Reactions: AM64
According to huff, that can all be done in 35 hours or less.
His experience and perspective are certainly not the norm.
I don't know when or where he went to school, but I've NEVER seen anything like what he describes. (and I've been around)

I don't see how you can grade papers for a teacher unless it's a multiple choice test. Something like grading an English paper, a History essay or even math problems where you need to show your work usually have a lot of latitude in how the teacher grades the test/assignment.
My wife has been teaching HS math for 30 years (all levels up to AP Calc BC) and has never once had a student grade her papers.
I'm not even sure about the legalities, especially with work of students with spec. ed. requirements.

According to huff, that can all be done in 35 hours or less.

I didn't say that but who cares, right?

Still wondering what my math teacher was supposed to be doing for 3 hrs a day to prove he's not lazy, but I suppose I should only expect indirect barbs from here on.

Still wondering what my math teacher was supposed to be doing for 3 hrs a day to prove he's not lazy, but I suppose I should only expect indirect barbs from here on.
No barbs....Just accept that he is not the norm (maybe one in a thousand).
No teacher gets 3 hours of planning. No teacher has a TA. Those are just things so far outside of the norm, they're irrelevant to the discussion.

Did he ever tell you that he only put in 35 hours a week, and did nothing else? Or are you just assuming that’s what he did based on your observation?

That was your perception. If you have a teacher in your family, ask them what kind of hours they put in. My fiancé regularly works 50+ hours per week.
I don't mean this as any kind of slam, but why would she work more than the minimum. It is really a catch 22, but they are their own worst enemies. If they want more pay and benefits, but put in extra time for what they are already doing...

I don't mean this as any kind of slam, but why would she work more than the minimum. It is really a catch 22, but they are their own worst enemies. If they want more pay and benefits, but put in extra time for what they are already doing...
It is a catch 22. When faced with the decision of "do I do what I know is best for my students or do I do what fits in my 40 hour week?" most teachers will choose the former. They are salaried and not hourly.
But in our society, if someone is willing to do what is right above what benefits them financially, they will certainly be taken advantage of.

It is a catch 22. When faced with the decision of "do I do what I know is best for my students or do I do what fits in my 40 hour week?" most teachers will choose the former. They are salaried and not hourly.
But in our society, if someone is willing to do what is right above what benefits them financially, they will certainly be taken advantage of.
It's also a generational thing as well. I don't see the younger generation willing to work any extra to complete a task, they just work the bare minimums.

Reactions: AM64 and luthervol
It's also a generational thing as well. I don't see the younger generation willing to work any extra to complete a task, they just work the bare minimums.
They have been conditioned with "take care of yourself, do what is best for you, get as much as you can for as little as possible".

I will never, ever work for a salary again. Ever. And I would never recommend anyone else to do so.

They have the right idea especially if they work for a large corporation. Now that defined benefit retirements are becoming a thing of the past, they have the ability to show the corporations the exact same loyalty they are shown.

I can't believe I am about to type these words; Luther is correct.

After nearly 30 years in business, getting my daughter through grad school, and paying for her extremely overpriced wedding, I decided to become a teacher. I wanted to do something meaningful and something that would make a difference in people's lives.

We have such a teacher shortage in the state I live in that they have what is called a Temporary Authorization to Teach. All you have to do is pass a drug test and a background test. Once I passed those, I interviewed with the high school principal and was hired on the spot. I was taken to get my parking sticker and my room key. I was given a tour of half the school and then told to be there by 8 am the next day. The only other thing that was said to me was "good luck".

I work at a Tier 1 school. That means it is poor school and usually not a good one. I have 178 kids spread out through my 6 classes with 27 of them being SPED kids intermingled in all my classes. A majority of the kids have 3-5th grade reading abilities, have no parental guidance at home, and have no respect for anyone. Poor inner-city schools are NOTHING like most of you think about when you remember your schools. These kids have just been passed along in the broken system we call public education.

I have to be at school at 8. I am on hall duty until 8 to 8:25. Then I am magically supposed to be able to watch 30 kids i my classroom as well as kids remaining in the halls. I get a 25 min lunch break. The majority of that time is spent helping kids do makeup work. I get a 55-minute planning period during which I have to coordinate with other teachers to schedule makeup tests for students, eat my lunch, grade papers, put grades into the computer system, twice weekly teacher meetings, and try to contact parents. There are no such things as TA's where I work. Then I have to stay for 15-20 mins after school to help prevent fights with the kids waiting on buses. I usually spend 8 & 1/2 hours at school each day working. Then I usually have to spend 1 hour or more at night planning for the next day. You can't just teach form a curriculum when students haven't been taught the basics.

I would love to see some of the ones on here who think teaching today is easy or it's just a part-time job since you have summers off, put their money where their mouths are and join me in trying to make a difference.

After nearly 30 years in business, getting my daughter through grad school, and paying for her extremely overpriced wedding, I decided to become a teacher. I wanted to do something meaningful and something that would make a difference in people's lives.

We have such a teacher shortage in the state I live in that they have what is called a Temporary Authorization to Teach. All you have to do is pass a drug test and a background test. Once I passed those, I interviewed with the high school principal and was hired on the spot. I was taken to get my parking sticker and my room key. I was given a tour of half the school and then told to be there by 8 am the next day. The only other thing that was said to me was "good luck".

I work at a Tier 1 school. That means it is poor school and usually not a good one. I have 178 kids spread out through my 6 classes with 27 of them being SPED kids intermingled in all my classes. A majority of the kids have 3-5th grade reading abilities, have no parental guidance at home, and have no respect for anyone. Poor inner-city schools are NOTHING like most of you think about when you remember your schools. These kids have just been passed along in the broken system we call public education.

I have to be at school at 8. I am on hall duty until 8 to 8:25. Then I am magically supposed to be able to watch 30 kids i my classroom as well as kids remaining in the halls. I get a 25 min lunch break. The majority of that time is spent helping kids do makeup work. I get a 55-minute planning period during which I have to coordinate with other teachers to schedule makeup tests for students, eat my lunch, grade papers, put grades into the computer system, twice weekly teacher meetings, and try to contact parents. There are no such things as TA's where I work. Then I have to stay for 15-20 mins after school to help prevent fights with the kids waiting on buses. I usually spend 8 & 1/2 hours at school each day working. Then I usually have to spend 1 hour or more at night planning for the next day. You can't just teach form a curriculum when students haven't been taught the basics.

I would love to see some of the ones on here who think teaching today is easy or it's just a part-time job since you have summers off, put their money where their mouths are and join me in trying to make a difference.
You may be my new favorite poster.
Congrats on your willingness to fight the fight. Perspective is an amazing thing, and many who speak the loudest are lacking.

I'm glad there are people like you, but I'd never do what you do.

Reactions: AM64 and 825VOL

I salute your decision, very admirable. I’ve had similar thoughts.

I question if this is where you will have maximum impact. You realize you’re working in a broken system.

I would just like to remind everyone that our government viewed the Home Depot cashier as more essential than teachers. Sadly, many but certainly not all, teachers were just fine with that.

Reactions: hog88
I salute your decision, very admirable. I’ve had similar thoughts.

I question if this is where you will have maximum impact. You realize you’re working in a broken system.

I went into this with my eyes wide open. I set a personal goal to try to help just 6 kids change their attitudes, and their outlook on life: 1 in each class. I have already surpassed my goal. I have about 14 kids who have drastically changed their attitudes and their outlooks since I took over the class in October. It is amazing how many of these kids have no one who cares about them or encourages them. It only takes a little effort to make a huge difference to some of them. Watching them change has been worth every penny of the pay cut I took and then some.

Yes, the education system is broken unless you are lucky enough to have kids in a upper middle-class school. I don't have the energy, or the years left to try and fix all the problems. So, I decided what I can do is make an effort to do what I can with the last 10-15 years of my working life.

I went into this with my eyes wide open. I set a personal goal to try to help just 6 kids change their attitudes, and their outlook on life: 1 in each class. I have already surpassed my goal. I have about 14 kids who have drastically changed their attitudes and their outlooks since I took over the class in October. It is amazing how many of these kids have no one who cares about them or encourages them. It only takes a little effort to make a huge difference to some of them. Watching them change has been worth every penny of the pay cut I took and then some.

Yes, the education system is broken unless you are lucky enough to have kids in a upper middle-class school. I don't have the energy, or the years left to try and fix all the problems. So, I decided what I can do is make an effort to do what I can with the last 10-15 years of my working life.

You are literally an awesome person! I mean that. Your goal was a very sensible thing to have up front and I am glad you are surpassing it. You are doing some great work.

Reactions: C-south and AM64
I would just like to remind everyone that our government viewed the Home Depot cashier as more essential than teachers. Sadly, many but certainly not all, teachers were just fine with that.
Some in government view public education in a more favorable light than others.

Back up there cowboy. I think the teachers union viewed themselves as essential but couldn't submit themselves to germ carrying children for a couple of years. Red states went back to school in the fall of 2020, blue states might still be hanging on for another year to save the children.

VN Store

Back