$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

Bingo. I wonder what the legal and financial details to removing them would be? Or if the fraternities would object and fight? Those structures were built 60 years ago, so it's not like they have most of their usable structural life left. I think if it makes sense financially, it's a no brainer to move the fraternities out of that area.
I’m curious what kind of leverage, if any, they really have. Fraternity Park, in general, is a nice-looking complex, and it’s hard for me to see the 5 or 6 houses involved would just concede to the move. Anyone with knowledge have any thoughts?

I’m curious what kind of leverage, if any, they really have. Fraternity Park, in general, is a nice-looking complex, and it’s hard for me to see the 5 or 6 houses involved would just concede to the move. Anyone with knowledge have any thoughts?

I guess it depends on which houses you are asking to move and what type of alumni they have. Sigma Chi has a nice house and has some pretty notable and powerful alumni that might be opposed to a move, but there are quite a few fraternities that have some pretty poor alumni networks that honestly couldn’t care less about their current chapters, so it wouldn’t shock me if they just didn’t fight being asked to move at all.

Do the fraternities own the land fee simple or are they bound by a lease agreement. If they own it fee simple, it'd be difficult or impossible to move them if they don't want to be moved. UT would have to sweeten the deal to gain an agreement, I'm sure. If they have a lease, UT may be able to negotiate their way out of the lease if need be. Again, that would probably require a sweetened deal. What would anyone estimate the value of one of those fraternity structures be in terms of replacement built somewhere else? 1 million?

Reactions: cardvolfan
Do the fraternities own the land fee simple or are they bound by a lease agreement. If they own it fee simple, it'd be difficult or impossible to move them if they don't want to be moved. UT would have to sweeten the deal to gain an agreement, I'm sure. If they have a lease, UT may be able to negotiate their way out of the lease if need be. Again, that would probably require a sweetened deal. What would anyone estimate the value of one of those fraternity structures be in terms of replacement built somewhere else? 1 million?
UT owns the land. I assume the fraternities have some sort of long term rights, otherwise two of the three closest to LNS would not have put significant resources in them lately (the one closest to the ticket booth was built, I’m guessing, +/- 10 years ago). The replacement cost of each structure would be in the millions.

Having said that, the reason why Fraternity Park is where it is now is because it was once was at Circle Park. So, it’s not impossible, and it’s happened before. However I personally don’t think it’ll happen again.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

It's tricky, and I may be off on some points. But when I was in school, the fraternity houses are technically UT housing, but the fraternities were responsible for upgrades/maintenance. But, with my fraternity as an example, the university installed university wireless into our house. But then the cops could come in unannounced for a walk through. But they couldn't enter any locked bedroom.

It's a weird gray area. But ultimately, if UT wants the house, I think it's theirs.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
The university has been gradually kicking off fraternities and revoking their charters for the past 5+ years as I’m fairly certain they want fraternities gone, so it wouldn’t shock me if they decided to find a way to use that real estate for a new stadium.

I know of at least 3 fraternities who have had their charters revoked (mine was one of them) and won’t be up for reconsideration until 2024 or 2025. With several empty houses, it seems like a perfect excuse to try and repurpose the land.

I think my fraternity was suspended also.

A couple thoughts on the stadium. This has been discussed for years. It didn’t just start last year. Over the years there’s been several different drawings, but it never has made it to the level it did on Monday.

The leadership visited other SEC stadiums. The President is smack dab in the middle of building a minor league park.

I just have a hard time believing this group doesn’t have a plan already. JMO

A couple thoughts on the stadium. This has been discussed for years. It didn’t just start last year. Over the years there’s been several different drawings, but it never has made it to the level it did on Monday.

The leadership visited other SEC stadiums. The President is smack dab in the middle of building a minor league park.

I just have a hard time believing this group doesn’t have a plan already. JMO
I agree. IMO, we’re spitballing.

I also think it’s interesting CTV wasn’t asked about it by Wilkerson after the 3PM hour. No beat writers asking about it either, that I’ve read/heard. Seems like a collective effort not to come up off details. Vintage Danny White.

I also think it’s interesting CTV wasn’t asked about it by Wilkerson after the 3PM hour. No beat writers asking about it either, that I’ve read/heard. Seems like a collective effort not to come up off details. Vintage Danny White.

You're right. That is interesting. But why do you say it is "vintage Danny White?" What would White have to do with it?

You're right. That is interesting. But why do you say it is "vintage Danny White?" What would White have to do with it?

He’s the AD, generally if there’s a big announcement regarding sports he’s the guy that would do it and he has a bit of a track record of being very slick when it comes to dropping info.

UT owns the land. I assume the fraternities have some sort of long term rights, otherwise two of the three closest to LNS would not have put significant resources in them lately (the one closest to the ticket booth was built, I’m guessing, +/- 10 years ago). The replacement cost of each structure would be in the millions.

Having said that, the reason why Fraternity Park is where it is now is because it was once was at Circle Park. So, it’s not impossible, and it’s happened before. However I personally don’t think it’ll happen again.

Funny story about the Phi Sig house

The construction of LNS 29 years ago caused damage to their old house in same spot.

The house was condemned for several years with caution tape and plywood board up while the fraternity sued or something to get a new house built. I think the current house is about 25 years old as UTK side builder them that house

For the first 3 seasons or so, us students chanted on every foul ball over the grandstand: “And another brick falls off the Phi Sig house “

The KA automatic response was funnier- and more detailed.

Reactions: @1RBFjr
Probably a year ago, on this forum, someone posted photos of renderings of LNS that were on display during (IIRC) a recruiting weekend. Of course there have been numerous threads on LNS, so it might be an Easter egg hunt to find it.

Ask and you shall receive.......

Left field line will mirror the right field line with chair back seats throughout the stadium, left filed expansion would have luxury boxes, The Porch would be a permanent type structure.

My guess is things may have been tweaked, there was talk about centerfield being the entrance and the road being moved to accommodate a right filed student section.

e1jhd6nx0awsvxx-jpeg.368864

e1jhd6px0aefk1r-jpeg.368865

Probably a year ago, on this forum, someone posted photos of renderings of LNS that were on display during (IIRC) a recruiting weekend. Of course there have been numerous threads on LNS, so it might be an Easter egg hunt to find it.
The Populous Group drew up renderings for LNS stadium improvements a couple of years ago right before the leadership changes at UT. The same group was contracted for MS State’s palace of a stadium as well as The Nashville Sounds new stadium, Truist Park (Braves new stadium), and for the Smokies new stadium. I will dig up some of the drawings and post. AD Danny White alluded to using some of the prior work that’s been done.

Ask and you shall receive.......

Left field line will mirror the right field line with chair back seats throughout the stadium, left filed expansion would have luxury boxes, The Porch would be a permanent type structure.

My guess is things may have been tweaked, there was talk about centerfield being the entrance and the road being moved to accommodate a right filed student section.

e1jhd6nx0awsvxx-jpeg.368864

e1jhd6px0aefk1r-jpeg.368865
See- I just KNEW my séance would summon @OldTimer from the great beyond 85FA3EFD-0C22-4DEF-B30C-959304C2B376.jpeg

Those were for improvements to add quick seats in the porch area and third base line. I think we can assume those are defunct now.

VN Store

Back