$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

Even so, those are likely irrelevant now with a complete redo or brand new stadium.
AD White mentioned that they would combine these recent drawings along with “stealing“ best practices from recent facilities. I don’t claim to know what they will ultimately do but The Populous Group is highly respected judging by their use by Randy Boyd for the Smokies new stadium, MS State’s new stadium, Braves new stadium, and Nashville Sounds new stadium. These renderings were recently released in July 2020 so they are still fresh albeit before the new requested budget was announced at $59M. Can’t wait to learn more about actual plans once $$$ are finalized.

I guess it depends on which houses you are asking to move and what type of alumni they have. Sigma Chi has a nice house and has some pretty notable and powerful alumni that might be opposed to a move, but there are quite a few fraternities that have some pretty poor alumni networks that honestly couldn’t care less about their current chapters, so it wouldn’t shock me if they just didn’t fight being asked to move at all.

Never been in the Greek system, so I may just not “get it,” but what kind of alumni care more about their fraternity house than building a college baseball palace for Tony V? Just saying…

Last edited:
Ask and you shall receive.......

Left field line will mirror the right field line with chair back seats throughout the stadium, left filed expansion would have luxury boxes, The Porch would be a permanent type structure.

My guess is things may have been tweaked, there was talk about centerfield being the entrance and the road being moved to accommodate a right filed student section.

e1jhd6nx0awsvxx-jpeg.368864

e1jhd6px0aefk1r-jpeg.368865

The porch reminds me of one of my favorite places … Top Golf 👏🤣

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This is unfortunate, hope UT wasn’t planning on playing there during their own construction.

Smokies will now start in Knoxville in spring of 2025 in their new multi-purpose stadium, because of global supply chain issues and a volatile construction market. The original date had been spring 2024.

I said a decade ago the most scenic location would be current Cherokee Farm on river. Technically “on campus”

But the wealthy across river already nixed UT’s original plans for the property including IM athletic facilities and I doubt they would appreciate a baseball stadium over there any more than that old plan

I
This is unfortunate, hope UT wasn’t planning on playing there during their own construction.

Smokies will now start in Knoxville in spring of 2025 in their new multi-purpose stadium, because of global supply chain issues and a volatile construction market. The original date had been spring 2024.

I guess that would leave the current Smokies stadium as alternative

The softball and baseball programs need and deserve larger facilities.

The smaller footprint at LNS would so better meet softballs needs. Fences are pulled in a bit and would even have room for bleachers behind. And softball would be truly on campus for first time.

Where to build for baseball though?

I said a decade ago the most scenic location would be current Cherokee Farm on river. Technically “on campus”

But the wealthy across river already nixed UT’s original plans for the property including IM athletic facilities and I doubt they would appreciate a baseball stadium over there any more than that old plan

Attachments

• 8D4A1A11-E409-4133-8DF2-C0987D26FB42.jpeg
    8D4A1A11-E409-4133-8DF2-C0987D26FB42.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: MAD
I

I guess that would leave the current Smokies stadium as alternative

The softball and baseball programs need and deserve larger facilities.

The smaller footprint at LNS would so better meet softballs needs. Fences are pulled in a bit and would even have room for bleachers behind. And softball would be truly on campus for first time.

Where to build for baseball though?

Tear down Neyland Stadium. We’re a baseball school now.

They are considering a couple of options including flipping the stadium 180 and removing the street behind. And looking at building new stadium at Cherokee farms across from UTMC as another option.

There’s an athletic facility over at Cherokee anyway as the golf facility is there. I just know there’s going to be a stink made about it; even if behind closed doors at BOT meetings.

Pretty sure potential lawsuits for breaking their current lease is the real reason.

Several tweets this afternoon urging the Chancellor to add seats for postseason.

Don't know if that's feasible but I was thinking.
The street party last year was a hoot but not sure where it was located on the Pat Summit Drive hill was best locale
Perhaps moving it beyond right field and hanging a big screen on the back of the scoreboard would be better. Sacrifice some parking for a huge party atmosphere.
Hell, the school could likely even charge for that gathering and they would be seen and heard throughout the game broadcast.

The only places I could see them adding seats is bleachers where SRO is on plaza.
More or larger bleachers down the LF line.
Maybe elevated bleachers behind the RF bullpen on Todd Helton roadway- but that would require fencing and those folks would not be able to see the scoreboard

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Don’t forget the indoor area under the playground. Multiple areas for BP and pitching.

Honestly, the need for more seating hasn’t been an issue unfortunately. Bleachers on the third base side that were needed under Delmonaco came out 2-3 years ago.

Better team should get more fans. More fans hopefully will lead to better facilities.
You were spot on

Construction is Scheduled to Begin on New Knoxville Stadium Set to be the New Home to the Tennessee Smokies Baseball Team
Posted on April 26, 2022
Screenshot-887-2.png
Photo courtesy of WVLT
Construction is scheduled to begin on the new $80 million Knoxville stadium near the Old City.
Officials say starting May 2nd, contractor crews will begin a project to relocate water and sewer lines. The following roads will be closed:
Jackson Avenue, between Patton and Florida streets
Willow Avenue, between Patton and Kentucky streets
Georgia Street, south of Willow Avenue
The publicly-owned stadium is now scheduled to host a 2025 Tennessee Smokies baseball season due to global supply chain issues and a volatile construction market delaying construction. Officials say it might be open to concerts, festivals, or other public events ahead of time.
The total economic impact of the stadium is projected to be nearly $480 million over the next 30 years and is supposed to create more than 400 full-time jobs.

VN Store

Back