$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

Pretty sure potential lawsuits for breaking their current lease is the real reason.
There was a clear option for a $300K early termination fee so doubt this was a material holdup. Likely difficult to get 2 baseball stadiums built in similar timeframes in close proximity with material and labor shortages.

Construction is Scheduled to Begin on New Knoxville Stadium Set to be the New Home to the Tennessee Smokies Baseball Team
Posted on April 26, 2022
Screenshot-887-2.png
Photo courtesy of WVLT
Construction is scheduled to begin on the new $80 million Knoxville stadium near the Old City.
Officials say starting May 2nd, contractor crews will begin a project to relocate water and sewer lines. The following roads will be closed:
Jackson Avenue, between Patton and Florida streets
Willow Avenue, between Patton and Kentucky streets
Georgia Street, south of Willow Avenue
The publicly-owned stadium is now scheduled to host a 2025 Tennessee Smokies baseball season due to global supply chain issues and a volatile construction market delaying construction. Officials say it might be open to concerts, festivals, or other public events ahead of time.
The total economic impact of the stadium is projected to be nearly $480 million over the next 30 years and is supposed to create more than 400 full-time jobs.

Moving large underground water and sewer mains around is an expensive thing to do and very disruptive to traffic patterns. Let's hope the new UT baseball stadium doesn't have to chew up a significant portion of its budget to do a lot of that.

Reactions: MAD
They are considering a couple of options including flipping the stadium 180 and removing the street behind. And looking at building new stadium at Cherokee farms across from UTMC as another option.

Here's what that would look like if we didn't close any roads. If we could purchase the RR property and re-route Todd Helton drive (shown in yellow dash), it would open up the site for more room and more seating, etc. You can see how very tight it is just to replicate the current small stadium. I don't like this alternative because 1) the stands behind home plate are farther removed from parking structures and campus dorms and 2) it's a poor sun orientation for play.

Attachments

• LNS Flipped Scenario - Keep Roads As-is.png
    LNS Flipped Scenario - Keep Roads As-is.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
Not a fan of turning it around. It would make it a pitcher's park because the wind would be blowing in all the time rather than out like it does now. Which sounded real weird when I typed it since I am a pitcher's dad. I think TV loves the intimate feel and would be for going up rather than a wider footprint. He loves the fact that when you come in there you feel like the crowd is all around you and breathing on your neck. He will always be for making it a small footprint and going upwards to get more people in there. I think you add seats down left field like you have all the way to outfield fence and add suites along the top that match the booth. Make the porches 3 to 4 levels like topgolf and put bleachers in right field. The big question is going to be where are they going to put a new hitting/pitching and workout facility. Their weight room is tiny for a P5 team. I think it will take up an entire parking lot somewhere, possibly the parking lot behind the right field fence or the one used for MVP beyond current one. Some have even suggested it being 2 story with weight room on the bottom and hitting and pitching on the top. You could make it where it could have bleachers above it which would be an incredible vantage point.

Not a fan of turning it around. It would make it a pitcher's park because the wind would be blowing in all the time rather than out like it does now. Which sounded real weird when I typed it since I am a pitcher's dad. I think TV loves the intimate feel and would be for going up rather than a wider footprint. He loves the fact that when you come in there you feel like the crowd is all around you and breathing on your neck. He will always be for making it a small footprint and going upwards to get more people in there. I think you add seats down left field like you have all the way to outfield fence and add suites along the top that match the booth. Make the porches 3 to 4 levels like topgolf and put bleachers in right field. The big question is going to be where are they going to put a new hitting/pitching and workout facility. Their weight room is tiny for a P5 team. I think it will take up an entire parking lot somewhere, possibly the parking lot behind the right field fence or the one used for MVP beyond current one. Some have even suggested it being 2 story with weight room on the bottom and hitting and pitching on the top. You could make it where it could have bleachers above it which would be an incredible vantage point.
I want to say at some point in the discussion about all this there was talk about building a dorm behind the right field fence that would house practice facilities for baseball on the lower level. We'll see, I guess. Imagine how popular that housing option would be if you could look out into the stadium like the condos at Mississippi State. It would be the place to be, that's for sure.

I want to say at some point in the discussion about all this there was talk about building a dorm behind the right field fence that would house practice facilities for baseball on the lower level. We'll see, I guess. Imagine how popular that housing option would be if you could look out into the stadium like the condos at Mississippi State. It would be the place to be, that's for sure.

It’s all good until Beck hits one into your living room! 😛

Here's what that would look like if we didn't close any roads. If we could purchase the RR property and re-route Todd Helton drive (shown in yellow dash), it would open up the site for more room and more seating, etc. You can see how very tight it is just to replicate the current small stadium. I don't like this alternative because 1) the stands behind home plate are farther removed from parking structures and campus dorms and 2) it's a poor sun orientation for play.

Doing that seem like complicating something that doesn't need to be.

To me it's as simple as extending left and right field stands and building up.

Doing that seem like complicating something that doesn't need to be.

To me it's as simple as extending left and right field stands and building up.

txbo making to complicated simple again.........I agree. Lets not over think this too much

CTV has said numerous times that he likes the intimacy of Linsdey Nelson, it will probably never be over 8,000 capacity. Some of these big ballparks, like Kentucky for example, are awful to play in with no fans.

So we have a patio setup behind left field that accommodates how many - a couple of hundred? Why can't we do like other SEC schools and have outfield bleachers from foul pole to foul pole? That'd have to add another 2500-3000 seats, right? Even before extending the LF line and RF line stands. It just seems like a no-brainer.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
txbo making to complicated simple again.........I agree. Lets not over think this too much

CTV has said numerous times that he likes the intimacy of Linsdey Nelson, it will probably never be over 8,000 capacity. Some of these big ballparks, like Kentucky for example, are awful to play in with no fans.
Exactly. There's magic happening at LNS. Add seating but don't ruin the mojo.

I would make it 6,000 seats. Then have plenty of room where I could sell standing room only tickets that I could for walk ups for big games or ncaa hosting.

Reactions: taylorvol

As many know, railroads never, ever sell property. Well that may be too harsh. It could happen but never when ever it's needed

Look at the big curve on I-275. When planning and building the road in late 70s/early 80s before the World's Fair, a different railroad didn't want to relinquish even an inch of their Coster Shop property for the new road and the state could not force them to do so. So 275 has this ridiculous and dangerous curve that requires a special type of asphalt to prevent accidents. And what happen years later, the railroad basically abandoned the property leaving a quasi-superfund site that can't be legally used for many things and the interstate still has the curve.

Railroads do not make and never will make good neighbors. They are granted a huge amount of special privileges by the federal government and they never listen to requests by private and public neighbors. Think about this, it makes zero logistical sense even keeping that facility where it is. It's not nearly as busy as it once was; but the company would rather go bankrupt than sell. Even a parking lot adjacent to the railyard.

If the railyard actually did more and the state could acquire it; the university would be able to greatly expand their enrollment and offerings. I am sure the school has regularly approached the company.

Where do you think they would put the bunting practice facility?
Separate facility just for bunting. Machine that throws multiple pitches and plenty of space for all 45 players to work on their bunting skills. Large sign on the wall that says Building Built in Honor of TXBO.

Separate facility just for bunting. Machine that throws multiple pitches and plenty of space for all 45 players to work on their bunting skills. Large sign on the wall that says Building Built in Honor of TXBO.

I think this is a great idea, they’d be able to host bunting camps and @txbo could be a guest lnstructer/guest speaker on the finer points of the art that is bunting.

VN Store

Back