$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

Separate facility just for bunting. Machine that throws multiple pitches and plenty of space for all 45 players to work on their bunting skills. Large sign on the wall that says Building Built in Honor of TXBO.

Could come in handy. First day of fall ball, line everybody up and tell 'em to lay one down. Anybody that doesn't refuse gets cut on the spot. Saves a lot of time in weeding out losers.

I'd like to see something like this. It will take 6 frat houses out - they could be rebuilt at site of current stadium ir elsewhere. The current LNS footprint is shown, including the left field porch, but it could be enlarged if desired. It gives entrance off of main street and current pedestrian way. Would have a great street prescence. Could take advantage of topo and grade the site so the main concourse is at field level with seating bowl below street level and an upper level of stands. So would walk off the street and either go down or up to your seats. Has room beyond the right and left field fences for grass berms that could be planted on the back sides and top with tall evergreens that would screen the current views of ugly RR and industrial/electrical uses beyond (those things look bad on TV), and give cheap seats for people who would watch from the grass. Or beachers could be built there, or both. Connect Frat Dr. To Todd Helton Drive for thorough emergency vehicle access. Keep outfield parking (frat parking) where it is now as stadium parking for staff and VIP, or use the area for something else (facilities, etc.) Indoor facility area shown in blue. It's a very efficient use of space within the current road system. This keeps it directly on campus which is something Tony V wants. The reason you rebuild is for better fan experience - concessions, seating, overhead structure integrated into the design, entrance area is not in the back yard of a frat house, etc. I don't want to see LNS with upgrades in current place, like putting lipstick on a pig. Let's do this right. For 60 million, something like this should happen.

Attachments

• LNS West of Frat Park Dr..png
    LNS West of Frat Park Dr..png
    3.5 MB · Views: 47
I think this is a great idea, they’d be able to host bunting camps and @txbo could be a guest lnstructer/guest speaker on the finer points of the art that is bunting.

Be a great way of finding out which kids we don't want to waste our time recruiting. If you come to bunt camp, you're forever blackballed from returning to campus. Maybe tatoo their forehead just to be sure.

Be a great way of finding out which kids we don't want to waste our time recruiting. If you come to bunt camp, you're forever blackballed from returning to campus. Maybe tatoo their forehead just to be sure.

Put the number 67 on the forehead and ship them off to the west coast, is that what yer suggesting?

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
My final guess on the plan.
The school will keep the newest section down the right field line.
They will build a similar structure down the left field line. including upstairs suites like the offices above the right field line.

I think they will completely demolish the old part and rebuild completely. The facilities beneath that oldest part are not up to par for locker rooms, dugouts, maintenance and not all that water tight from above.

The new center grandstand will have a smaller upper deck seating area with more suites and media boxes at top. all the way around. The dugouts would actually be "dug out"

The upper deck will sit over concourse where all concessions and restrooms entry will face the field like most minor league parks (like Smokies Stadium). The back wall of the stadium could be further back since there would be no need for rear concourse making a larger single concourse.

A traditional roof will cover a portion of the grandstand

It is possible this new upper deck could extend onto the new structure in left field and onto the plaza area along 1st base as well.

The porches will be replaced with a more permanent structure with elevators and likely a third level. I don't know if it will be terraced like it is now or will be more vertical in appearance. A terraced structure would be more conducive for grilling but a vertical structure would basically be luxury suites more than porches

I know it would mess up traffic patterns- especially for football and basketball but the school does need to take a hard look about closing some street permanently. I know the university took control over most of the streets on campus from the city but do not know if Todd Helton Dr. is one of them. I suspect the railroad has a right-of-way on that road keeping at least a portion open for their use. This road is where all the buses park for football games as well. I think Pat Head Summit Street's days are numbered. It may remain open to the garage and fraternity park access but I suspect it will be closed to allow a bigger stadium footprint.

If PHS Street is closed, the stadium could shift back toward Upper Hudson/Haslam Field allowing the right field wall to shift with it. Possibly allowing bleacher seats or porches behind that shifted wall. To me, that would be the ideal place for student seating. 4-5 rows of seating from scoreboard to foul pole that could actually meet the more "basic" student needs.

Plus, I'm sure the football staff would appreciate fewer people driving by their practice field anyway.

Just my thoughts

He had as much pride and love for Knoxville and UT as anybody that has coached on the Hill. I still hate it that it didn't work out for him.

Yep, he did a lot of good, just didn’t win enough, I live here, I’ve never heard anyone speak ill of him. He brought in some dudes, just not enough of em. Made some coaching hires I bet he wish he could do over too.

This was a very unsuccessful thread hijack but it was fun!!!

Reactions: taylorvol and txbo
I'm sure they've brought in engineers and architects already, but they're going to need to determine if it's more expensive to renovate vs building new depending on the needs of the program. I'm just saying it's possible LNS (aside form the field) could be blown to bits!

Hey fryeguy, I was trying to DM you, but I don't have access to do that for whatever reason. I'd like to share something with you...what's your email?

So we have a patio setup behind left field that accommodates how many - a couple of hundred? Why can't we do like other SEC schools and have outfield bleachers from foul pole to foul pole? That'd have to add another 2500-3000 seats, right? Even before extending the LF line and RF line stands. It just seems like a no-brainer.
20 people per porch, and there's alot of them.

out of curiosity, I pulled up the KGIS maps for the area around stadium

It is funny the property the railroad owns is basically just a blank spot on the mapping system that indicates "Parcel not found at this location"

The stadium and all the fraternity park are on the same parcel
When you click on the streets around the stadium. All the streets in the area are owned as a separate lot by the university. This includes Todd Helton and Pat Head Summit.

The school does own the property on other side of Todd Helton on left field side. Parcel ID 108DA001 . This is narrow triangular parcel that seemingly includes the electrical substation.

As many know, railroads never, ever sell property. Well that may be too harsh. It could happen but never when ever it's needed

Look at the big curve on I-275. When planning and building the road in late 70s/early 80s before the World's Fair, a different railroad didn't want to relinquish even an inch of their Coster Shop property for the new road and the state could not force them to do so. So 275 has this ridiculous and dangerous curve that requires a special type of asphalt to prevent accidents. And what happen years later, the railroad basically abandoned the property leaving a quasi-superfund site that can't be legally used for many things and the interstate still has the curve.

Railroads do not make and never will make good neighbors. They are granted a huge amount of special privileges by the federal government and they never listen to requests by private and public neighbors. Think about this, it makes zero logistical sense even keeping that facility where it is. It's not nearly as busy as it once was; but the company would rather go bankrupt than sell. Even a parking lot adjacent to the railyard.

If the railyard actually did more and the state could acquire it; the university would be able to greatly expand their enrollment and offerings. I am sure the school has regularly approached the company.

As a land planner and site designer, that's been my general experience with railroads, and CSX in particular. Which is one reason I don't see us using the current site. It's just too constrained to do much with it, and it has all of the other problems, too, such as unsightly views beyond the stadium and no room to do anything about them, poor street presence, entrance sequence in the back yard of a frat house, etc.

As a land planner and site designer, that's been my general experience with railroads, and CSX in particular. Which is one reason I don't see us using the current site. It's just too constrained to do much with it, and it has all of the other problems, too, such as unsightly views beyond the stadium and no room to do anything about them, poor street presence, entrance sequence in the back yard of a frat house, etc.
The discussion principles come into focus.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
As many know, railroads never, ever sell property. Well that may be too harsh. It could happen but never when ever it's needed

Look at the big curve on I-275. When planning and building the road in late 70s/early 80s before the World's Fair, a different railroad didn't want to relinquish even an inch of their Coster Shop property for the new road and the state could not force them to do so. So 275 has this ridiculous and dangerous curve that requires a special type of asphalt to prevent accidents. And what happen years later, the railroad basically abandoned the property leaving a quasi-superfund site that can't be legally used for many things and the interstate still has the curve.

Railroads do not make and never will make good neighbors. They are granted a huge amount of special privileges by the federal government and they never listen to requests by private and public neighbors. Think about this, it makes zero logistical sense even keeping that facility where it is. It's not nearly as busy as it once was; but the company would rather go bankrupt than sell. Even a parking lot adjacent to the railyard.

If the railyard actually did more and the state could acquire it; the university would be able to greatly expand their enrollment and offerings. I am sure the school has regularly approached the company.
I agree with everything you said here. Seems that way all through history. However, they must have some type of informal working relationship. That gravel lot across Todd Helton is technically RR property if you pull up the map on KGIS. I've wondered why the RR grants them use of it or if the map is wrong.

I was just referring to RickyVols post. I have zero knowledge or insight of their plans for the renovated or new LNS. Personally, I would love it in the Cherokee Farms area. Beautiful space for sure.

Yeah, that's probably the least complicated site to use. I guess they could run buses there for students. I don't know whether the open space on that site is already programmed for the future (a master plan, etc) or not. I'd like to see it on the main campus if possible so the students can fill the place up. Without them there, it's just not as rowdy or as fun of an atmosphere.

Reactions: taylorvol

VN Store

Back