$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

On Basilio today, Vitello pretty much shot down any ideas of moving or flipping the stadium. Really focused on just improving what’s there. Sounded focused on the experience more so than the size.

Which…as fun as the River ideas sounded, is what is best. The stadium has a lot of unique and special qualities…losing them to build some 10k seat soulless McMansion of a stadium ain’t the right thing.
Agree.

Kodak is a long way from campus plus I’d think a scheduling and logistical nightmare albeit for one season.
Bama did it going to Hoover which is 2x as far from Tuscaloosa as Kodak is from Knoxville. However, the Barons were already at Regions Field, so there was no scheduling conflicts and Hoover goes unused probably 80% of the time. If they can make it work, I agree it’s better to just bite the bullet once and be done but I don’t think Danny, Tony, the BoT or the architects will ask me.

Kodak is a long way from campus plus I’d think a scheduling and logistical nightmare albeit for one season.

20 miles is not a a long way, especially considering the quality of the facility, capacity and parking capabilities. Only West Knoxville folks ever whine about a neighboring county being too far away.

Alcoa was set to build a hockey/basketball arena before the 2001 related economic problems and the Ice Bears we’re moving there. The Ice Bears still have subpar facilities because Knoxville had below par arenas and auditorium space because no one holds their feet to 🔥

20 miles is not a a long way, especially considering the quality of the facility, capacity and parking capabilities. Only West Knoxville folks ever whine about a neighboring county being too far away.

Alcoa was set to build a hockey/basketball arena before the 2001 related economic problems and the Ice Bears we’re moving there. The Ice Bears still have subpar facilities because Knoxville had below par arenas and auditorium space because no one holds their feet to 🔥
Just figure it’s a logistical challenge w Smokies plus a 45 min drive with traffic (TN Tech game was brutal with traffic) and would likely mean little to no students but might be the best option to rip off the bandaid and get it done vs dragging it out.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just figure it’s a logistical challenge w Smokies plus a 45 min drive with traffic (TN Tech game was brutal with traffic) and would likely mean little to no students but might be the best option to rip off the bandaid and get it done vs dragging it out.

Exactly. Just get it done while interest is at its peak. Most players live in apartments now anyway and not really on campus.
The new Old City Stadium is suffering from common construction delays now so that’s out unless we wait until it’s done.

We could play in Neyland for a year I guess

Playing at a "New" Smokies ballpark downtown for a season while LNS is renovated would be acceptable, but playing at the existing Smokies ballpark is not acceptable to me. It's too far for students and others, and it obviously has terrible parking and ingres/egress logistics. No wonder the Smokies owner wants a new stadium downtown.

If the current thinking is that the job can be done in 4 successive offseasons, then that means the architects and other consultants have concluded that the stadium can't be completed from start to finish in the time needed to avoid having to play in the old Smokies park for a season or two. If that's their calculation, then I think they are likely doing the right thing.

Assuming we will routinely host regionals and super regionals going forward, construction season for the four incremental construction periods will be from mid-June until February of the next year, which would allow 5 months of dry season for outdoor work, and about three months for indoor finishing work before games of a new season begin. In one of those separate construction periods, they should be able to complete the left field line portion, in another year the right field line stands, in a third year all the outfield bleachers, and finish out of left-over tasks in the fourth. I don't see a problem, as long as they can clean up before the fans come back each season.

Playing at a "New" Smokies ballpark downtown for a season while LNS is renovated would be acceptable, but playing at the existing Smokies ballpark is not acceptable to me. It's too far for students and others, and it obviously has terrible parking and ingres/egress logistics. No wonder the Smokies owner wants a new stadium downtown.

If the current thinking is that the job can be done in 4 successive offseasons, then that means the architects and other consultants have concluded that the stadium can't be completed from start to finish in the time needed to avoid having to play in the old Smokies park for a season or two. If that's their calculation, then I think they are likely doing the right thing.

Assuming we will routinely host regionals and super regionals going forward, construction season for the four incremental construction periods will be from mid-June until February of the next year, which would allow 5 months of dry season for outdoor work, and about three months for indoor finishing work before games of a new season begin. In one of those separate construction periods, they should be able to complete the left field line portion, in another year the right field line stands, in a third year all the outfield bleachers, and finish out of left-over tasks in the fourth. I don't see a problem, as long as they can clean up before the fans come back each season.

The right filed portion was not completed and sat ugly and open for an entire season and I suspect the left field line section would at least be the same duration if not longer as I suspect it will contain more stuff. They could build an all new stadium for $60 million in 12-18 month and it not look piece meal.

Dividing the construction period over 4 separate construction periods would undoubtedly leave an open unfinished construction site for at least 1 or 2 seasons.

Kodak is only far way from West Knoxvillians who demand everything be near them. The ingress and egress on campus is hardly better than a stadium off campus and that Tennessee Tech game circumstance was traffic oddity and still proves it's not too far to go. Students who want to go to game will still go to games.

The right filed portion was not completed and sat ugly and open for an entire season and I suspect the left field line section would at least be the same duration if not longer as I suspect it will contain more stuff. They could build an all new stadium for $60 million in 12-18 month and it not look piece meal.

Dividing the construction period over 4 separate construction periods would undoubtedly leave an open unfinished construction site for at least 1 or 2 seasons.

Kodak is only far way from West Knoxvillians who demand everything be near them. The ingress and egress on campus is hardly better than a stadium off campus and that Tennessee Tech game circumstance was traffic oddity and still proves it's not too far to go. Students who want to go to game will still go to games.
Agreed. It’s 20 mins, all interstate. And that exit is setup to handle large amounts of ppl. They would get logistics sorted out.

I think it would be cool to play there for a season.

They could build an all new stadium for $60 million in 12-18 month and it not look piece meal.

But building an all new stadium from scratch on a virgin piece of ground isn't the task. Adding on, subtracting, modifying, and retrofitting an EXISTING stadium is the task. And it must be done within a tight street pattern and existing neighbors, all of which make mobilization and staging more difficult and time consuming. I don't know typical time lines for building new from scratch vs modifying an existing stadium, and the relative costs and contingencies associated with each. But you can bet your bottom dollar the architects and other consultants on board for UT do.

There's another factor they must consider - financing. It may be that they will have to raise the money for design and construction over a four year period and so must be on a pay as you go basis. So, there is a lot that goes into these decisions. I trust the pros to make the right calls. Again, I don't see a problem with phasing new construction over a four year period.

I think the simple answer is that there is no good answer. Playing at Smokies Stadium for a year is inconvenient, but you can’t wait for the new Smokies Stadium because that won’t be done till 2025.

Doing a 4 Phase renovation isn’t good either, because you’re left with an unfinished, ugly mess during the season.

Something has to give at some point, and if it’s workable then playing off campus at the Smokies Stadium for one year probably isn’t the worst idea because it gets you in your new, flashy park quicker. Better for recruiting, too, probably.

State renovated the Dude in 2 years, I question the poster who said "he heard" it would take 4 years........JMO

I do, too. I am far from knowing anything about construction, but mid-June to January gives you a whole lot of time to get things done. Just need the plans in place to start right after the last tournament game.

I do, too. I am far from knowing anything about construction, but mid-June to January gives you a whole lot of time to get things done. Just need the plans in place to start right after the last tournament game.
Should have clarified a little better, I'm not saying he's wrong, I just agree with he above statement, 4 years is a long time.........

Playing at Smokies would be a nightmare and I don't see TV ever agreeing to it. Multiple reasons:
Players have to be bussed there every game. Lose on campus feel and probably most of the students. He, and I which doesn't really matter, love the close confines of LNS and you lose that at Smokies stadium. I hate the feel of most of the SEC stadiums that others think is great. I want it tight and up not spread out. You are at their discretion because it is their field and not yours.
Just remember that Tennessee Tech was a trainwreck for many reasons from start to finish and not just the wood bat aspect. We had no control of the field and use thereof. We were at their decisions not ours. Bus was late, no hitting bp on field, cut the time on infield, no turf. do not see TV agreeing to go anywhere for a year. He may go somewhere for fall but not spring.
I heard the plan is to start with some aspects the week after Super Regionals and go through the fall. I heard 2 years with it being a couple of phases. Delays could cause it to be 3 years on some of the outfield stuff. I loved the condos in left. We could do that without moving the road if they were right up against the fence. $50,000 a year and they have a 10 year waiting list. They are building 3 more out there. 2 bedroom condos that can only be used on Friday and Saturday nights during football and baseball seaons unless games are on Thursday. You could put that all the way from foul line to batter's eye.

VN Store

Back