6-6 or 7-5?

Auburn is worse off talent wise than we are. I think we win that game

If Dooley were still here, I am sure he would be out coached by Western Kentucky & Auburn. But with CBJ, we may win those games. However; Mal is not stupid. He has a reputation as a smart coach..

I think ya'll are underestimating the defense and I personally think we'll be vastly improved. Also, we actually have a fairly talented defense..just look at this!

Brian Randolph: NR out of high school, but made freshman all-SEC and we all know he was one of the better (or has the potential to be) one of the better DB's in the league
LaDarrell McNeil: top 100 out of high school. Also made freshman all-SEC. He proved to be a hard-hitting Safety last year.
Byron Moore: top 100 out of high school. Has won multiple DB of the week awards in the SEC.
A.J Johnson: Not even sure I need to say anything...one of the best LB's in the country and I expect a 1st round draft pick. Especially if he improves his ball disruption this year
Curt Maggitt: 4* top 200 out of high school. Freshman all-SEC and Third team freshman All-American.

These are just the first 5 players that came to mind. Add in the fact that the defense SHOULD be much better coached in a system they understand...

Call me crazy but I honestly think that Naz Oliver will have a great red shirt senior season.... Maybe even, the Most Improved Defensive player.....

Auburn is a good example of where some people have a double standard with their argument.

If Tennessee is a talented team that has been poorly coached, would the same logic not apply to auburn?

I believe auburn has had better recruiting classes as well.

If auburn is not that talented despite their recruiting ranking, would it be possible for Tennessee to be not that talented despite their recruiting ranking?

You people saying 8 or more wins are in for a long season. You obviously don't know much about football if you truly believe UT wins 8 games this season.

8-4/9-3

CBJ gets coach of the year. Recruiting class holds together and make a run at the SEC title in 2014

In 2014, we will have new linebackers, new defensive linemen and new offensive linemen. That is alot of players to replace in one season and expect to head to the S.E.C. Champsionship game.

In 2014, we will have new linebackers, new defensive linemen and new offensive linemen. That is alot of players to replace in one season and expect to head to the S.E.C. Champsionship game.

2016 is the first year for an sec title game to be a realistic expectation.

It's always going to be a difficult task in an odd year because of Florida and bama being road games in odd years

Not sure where you come off telling people to temper their optimism. There isnt a thing wrong with being optimistic.

I think he did that so some on this board won't go into a death spiral if we struggle to have a winning season in '13.

I have discussed this on several other threads with proof. Talent IS the key to 60-70% of the wins/losses.

It really is that simple.

However, the 30-40% of the games that victory is not explained by talent, can be explained by coaching.

Dooley and Kiff, are underachievers by a magnitude of 2-4 games a season.

Petrino and Butch Jones have historically had a +3 (or so) ratio of wins above their talent predictions.

60% to 70% Jimmies and Joes
30% to 40% X's and O's

I agree.

The toss up game is Oregon, not Auburn. Auburn is vastly more talented than us, but had similar coaching problems. Oregon, on the other hand, is similarly talented than us and going through a similar transition. I expect, and I could very well be wrong, that Chip Kelly was the glue there, like Petrino was at Arkansas. Last year, Arkansas performed exactly as their talent averages would predict.

In other words, expect UT to look drastically better. Yes the offense will be less productive at first, but the defense should show a drastic improvement. Oregon, conversely, as they were severely over performing by their talent evaluations, has nowhere to go but down, even slightly.

If Jones just coaches to his talent, we go 7-4 with a toss-up at Oregon. This yields the most likely prediction as 7-5 or 8-4. Picture those two options as the peak on a bell curve, everything below or above is substantially less probable.

Oregon is no toss up--just because Chip Kelly is gone doesn't mean a thing. You realize they have a potential Heisman winner at QB right? They have speed to burn.

We will be lucky to win 5 games. 6 wins is being optimistic. To the geniuses who believe we will win 8 or 9 games, you obviously didn't watch the Orange and White game. If you did, and you still believe we have the depth and talent to compete against the grueling schedule we have this season, you are still high from all the doolaid you drank the past few years. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Coach Butch Jones, and I bleed orange just like the rest of you. I have just been disappointed, like everyone else, for the past five years, and I don't see it changing immediately. We can hope that the Big Orange will be back on track and winning SEC Championships within two or three years, depending on CBJ's effectiveness.

Reactions: 1 person
We will be lucky to win 5 games. 6 wins is being optimistic. To the geniuses who believe we will win 8 or 9 games, you obviously didn't watch the Orange and White game. If you did, and you still believe we have the depth and talent to compete against the grueling schedule we have this season, you are still high from all the doolaid you drank the past few years. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Coach Butch Jones, and I bleed orange just like the rest of you. I have just been disappointed, like everyone else, for the past five years, and I don't see it changing immediately. We can hope that the Big Orange will be back on track and winning SEC Championships within two or three years, depending on CBJ's effectiveness.

I, without knowing any more or less than most posters on here, look at our schedule this year and think 6-7 wins. Can't say with a ton of confidence cause nobody really knows.... Just what I think.

But I can promise you, not for one second do I look at the results/performance from the Orange and White game and make any judgments. It's a little foolish in my humble opinion. O&W game meant absolutely nothing in relation to how this years team will perform.

Reactions: 1 person
I, without knowing any more or less than most posters on here, look at our schedule this year and think 6-7 wins. Can't say with a ton of confidence cause nobody really knows.... Just what I think.

But I can promise you, not for one second do I look at the results/performance from the Orange and White game and make any judgments. It's a little foolish in my humble opinion. O&W game meant absolutely nothing in relation to how this years team will perform.

I agree with you to an extent concerning the O and W game. In fact, traditionally, our offensive abilities are pretty vanilla at this point in the season. However, passes are passes. Whether passes are thrown in practices, scrimmages, 7 on 7 drills, or games, they are still basically fundamental routines that these QBs should be used to by now. Some of the balls being thrown on Saturday were horrendous. Balls were being skipped, overthrown, and most of the time late. I love Peterman's and Worley's potential. I love their mobility. I also realize that Dobbs and Ferguson are coming in the fall. However, I cannot reasonably believe that this team is going to beat the likes of Oregon, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Missouri, or even Vandy with the lack of depth and explosiveness that was apparent on Saturday. We haven't been able to be extremely competitive with three potential first round NFL draft picks. What makes us believe that that changes in just a few months?

I agree with you to an extent concerning the O and W game. In fact, traditionally, our offensive abilities are pretty vanilla at this point in the season. However, passes are passes. Whether passes are thrown in practices, scrimmages, 7 on 7 drills, or games, they are still basically fundamental routines that these QBs should be used to by now. Some of the balls being thrown on Saturday were horrendous. Balls were being skipped, overthrown, and most of the time late. I love Peterman's and Worley's potential. I love their mobility. I also realize that Dobbs and Ferguson are coming in the fall. However, I cannot reasonably believe that this team is going to beat the likes of Oregon, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Missouri, or even Vandy with the lack of depth and explosiveness that was apparent on Saturday. We haven't been able to be extremely competitive with three potential first round NFL draft picks. What makes us believe that that changes in just a few months?

Bray was 5-32 passing in last years O&W game.... it didnt seem to matter too much. Yes I agree we have many holes to fill and not much depth. But we don't even have the full team in yet and most of our scholly WRs didn't even play in the game.

Addition by subtraction is the order of the day if you ask me. No Dools and Sal automatically makes this team better. Also, we disagree about an inability to beat vaginabilt and Mizzou. These should be 2 wins i dont care what anybody says. Oregon, Florida, Bama, Georgia and SCar we agree on.

This team will be significantly better coached and I think those factors put us at 6-7 wins. Jmo.

Last edited:
Bray was 5-32 passing in last years O&W game.... it didnt seem to matter too much. Yes I agree we have many holes to fill and not much depth. But we don't even have the full team in yet and most of our scholly WRs didn't even play in the game.

Addition by subtraction is the order of the day if you ask me. No Dools and Sal automatically makes this team better. Also, we disagree about an inability to beat vaginabilt and Mizzou. These should be 2 wins i dont care what anybody says. Oregon, Florida, Bama, Georgia and SCar we agree on.

This team will be significantly better coached and I think those factors put us at 6-7 wins. Jmo.

I can most definitely agree with the addition by subtraction comment! I think we are the right track with CBJ and staff. I think our offense will be better by the fall, but even with our offense averaging well over 30 points a game last season, we eeked out 5 wins. I think we should maintain realistic expectations and give CBJ and the Vols our 100 percent support!

Below is a post I made about this time last season. It wasn't very popular then, but it ended up being a pretty accurate prediction of how our season unfolded. It sucks that our program has declined; however, the RISE TO THE TOP will be that much sweeter!!

"I am as die hard a Vol fan as anyone on this site, but are we that pumped for the new season that we are forgetting the last time our beloved Vols played an opponent. I don't even think I need to, but I will recap that game. We lost to Kentucky, and only put up 7 points for that matter. Tyler Bray and Da'Rick Rogers, as much as I root them on, had God awful attitudes, and Dooley couldn't coach a flag football team that day. Now, I think we have the "talent" and "potential" to be a good matchup on the field with everyone on our schedule. I believe if the dice rolls our way more times than not, that we could have a killer year. However, we shouldn't forget throughout all the hype that we still have an unproven Coach, talented players that tend to get injured often, and an SEC schedule that is always beastly. I hope, and will be rooting, that we win all of our games, but I think more wins than losses should be our first goal and work from there. Let's finish every game with grit, effort, and class, and I think the pieces will begin to come into place. Go Vols"

^ This 1000%.

I know the last 5 years have been bad but when did the fan base turn into such a chicken s**t bunch of cry babies? 6 wins is the bottom for us this year.APSU, WKU, S. Bama and UK all wins. We should easily get 2 of 3 from AU, Vandy and Mizzou if not all 3. If we get the ball rolling we could steal one from UGA or USC. 6-8 wins is what we should expect. A bowl game would be great but really we need a bowl win to show we have turned the corner.

Bowles, Blanc, and Howard played significant time. Most people project that along with Croom, Harris, and North, these guys will be our offensive weapons. Let's not forget that our offense was going against the same defensive players that gave up 35.7 points a game last year. Yes, we can blame Sal and Dools all day, everyday, but at the end of the day, you have to go out and make plays and make tackles. We have struggled with this for almost ten years. It wasn't like our offense was battling General Neyland's 1939 team that went undefeated and unscored upon throughout the regular season. I have faith in CBJ and his staff to turn things around...but this isn't the Big East, and we aren't going up against teams like Rutgers every week.

I know the last 5 years have been bad but when did the fan base turn into such a chicken s**t bunch of cry babies? 6 wins is the bottom for us this year.APSU, WKU, S. Bama and UK all wins. We should easily get 2 of 3 from AU, Vandy and Mizzou if not all 3. If we get the ball rolling we could steal one from UGA or USC. 6-8 wins is what we should expect. A bowl game would be great but really we need a bowl win to show we have turned the corner.

How easy were those wins against Missouri and Vandy last year??? Oh wait, they didn't happen. I agree, as Vols fans, we should expect more from our team. However, we can't pretend that the makeup of our team changed overnight when CBJ was hired. I think our team will grow and improve over the next two seasons, and they will be a FORCE to deal with. CBJ reminds me of a Bruce Pearl type of coach, and I think he will be incredibly successful at UT... just not next year.

Being realistic doesn't make people "chicken s*it". Being realistic is what keeps us from jumping into the Tennessee River after we lose 37-20 to Florida when everyone in the country felt like we were going to win and finally get over the hump.

I will say 6 and 6 and we will lose one that we should not and win one we should not, like SC, with us so young on offence reminds me of the 6 and 6 michigan team of a few years ago.

im not chicken chit but this team is so young on offence, 6 and 6 at best 7 and 5 i dont know if saying 7 and 5 is chicken chit i would say common sense is more like it than chicken chit.:)

VN Store

Back